jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

As a freelancer, should you have your eggs all in one basket? or in multiple bas

1. Daniella Lopez profile image95
    Daniella Lopezposted 2 years ago

As a freelancer, should you have your eggs all in one basket? or in multiple baskets?

For example, should a freelancer focus their work and energy entirely on working for one company or website (such as Elance), or should they maintain work through multiple companies and websites? What are the pros and cons of doing either?

2. profile image0
    Wearmanyhatsposted 2 years ago

Since freelancers need to both put money on the table and keep all their options open, I would say split it 80-20%. I'd work for one company but "moonlight" for others to keep options open should your project end, the website get closed down or bought out. I did a lot of work for two different websites one of which really paid well and then they notified me that they were buying out my work or I could move it. I lost my residual income. Another site sold out and closed down. I think you should grow yourself, but also find the best places to make you a good living.

By the way, if it's allowed to ask, how do you like Elance, Danie?

Daniella Lopezposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I follow basically an 80/20 method myself. Elance is my 80. Personally, I really like Elance. It has its negatives, as does any site, but I can consistently find work every single month.

3. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

I don't write for one site, I scatter my eggs at 3-4 sites, too dangerous to depend on a single site. Look at bubblews

Daniella Lopezposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I know! There are several writers I know who were devistated when Bubblews stopped doing their $0.01 per everything.

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 21 months ago

I write for more than one site. This is the ideal, because I've had more than one freelancing site and open sourcing site I've worked with shut down.
    I sell items online separately for additional income.

working