How to find A job after university?

1. Matty2014 profile image64
    Matty2014posted 2 years ago

How to find A job after university?

I am a university student, I have finished all my courses and waiting for my official documents for graduation. I have been looking for a job over a month. I had several part time jobs as a waiter in my student years, also some volunteer work as counselling volunteer and event assistant, but I don't think these experience are good enough for any employer, so how should I start my career?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12758294_f260.jpg

We live in a very competitive time.
    Most students who go to college need to be choosing a degree program for an industry that is in demand. If someone majored in Liberal Arts they're probably going to have a tough time finding a job unless they're open to getting a teacher's certificate.
    Ideally it would have been nice to have participated in an internship program while still in school. A lot of corporations will hire interns who have worked for them. Most major universities off career recruitment programs where many companies come to campus to consider upcoming graduates.
    Networking is also a good strategy students engage in while still on campus. Oftentimes it's who you know that trumps what you know. Being a member of  any organizations on campus including fraternities and sororities have historically helped people get a leg up on competition.
    However if you were a loner, didn't do any networking, never worked as an intern during the summers, and majored in area that is not in demand then you're going to have a real hard time finding a job that pays real well.
    The best thing you can do is brush up on your resume and interview skills. Check out any of Martin Yate's "Knock 'em Dead" Interview, resume, answering tough interview questions, job search books from your local library.
    Check out your University's job placement offerings
    Post your resume on Indeed.com
    Set a daily goal to email 25 resumes - Monday-Friday.
    Join LinkedIn, post your resume, and join some of their groups.
    Join some relevant networking groups on Meetup.com
    Be willing to re-locate!
    (In the U.S. we have 50 states, thousands of cities)
    Be "ambitious" and "determined"!
    Don't expect a sky high salary, a personal secretary, and private parking space just because you have a degree! You may have to accept an "entry level" job sitting in a cubicle to get some job experience. Being with the right company is more important than the job you start off with.
    Consider a career in sales. A lot of major corporation have sales training programs that welcome new graduates. Once you're in a company you can look to transfer to a different department in a year or so. Lastly you might consider going for an advanced degree.
    I saw your profile stated your major is psychology. Unless you want to teach it in high school a bachelor degree in  psychology is pretty much worthless compared to business, engineering, and high-tech degrees. You'd be better off getting a Masters or PhD degree if your goal is to practice psychology.

1. Sakshi Davessar profile image68
      Sakshi Davessarposted 2 years agoin reply to this

superb advice !

working