jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

How did you ask for the first raise of your career?

1. KCO profile image97
    KCOposted 21 months ago

How did you ask for the first raise of your career?

2. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 21 months ago

In 1971 I was working for a small (12 employees) R&D firm. I was their technical illustrator and I was making $3.60 per hour. (That was a decent salary then) One day I discovered that the part-time typist they had earned $3.75 per hour. First I was surprised, then hurt, then angry. I went to the manager and told him what I had discovered and asked that my salary be raised to equal the pt typist. He said he couldn't do that. I asked why and he told me because she had a college degree and I only had an AS degree. I commented that her degree was in Romantic Languages and had nothing to do with water resources and he said it didn't matter, it was a degree. So I issued my first ever ultimatum and said if I couldn't get the raise I'd have to leave. He said okay so I turned in my notice. Neither of us were going to back down on the subject so two weeks later I was gone. The week after that I began doing contract work rather than directly employment. I started out at $5 per hour. The company I had worked for called me and asked if I would mind coming in and giving their new illustrator a hand. I agreed and told them my pay rate would be $5 per hour. They agreed. When I got to the office I met the new illustrator, a man, and he had no problem telling me he was hired at $4.25 per hour. I changed my mind about helping them and left. I did contract work for the next 20 years and wasn't without a job more than a couple of days at a time.

1. KCO profile image97
      KCOposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Inspiring story Cecelia! Way to stick to your ultimatum. It helps to know your worth!

2. profile image0
      Cissy1946posted 21 months agoin reply to this

I didn't really until the new job offered $5 an hour

working