Below Average

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (54 posts)
  1. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I just read the average household income in the U.S dropped nearly $2000.00 dollars in 2009 to $48,500 for a household of two working people. Have you been affected by the economy? I know some of us here are in the U.K or other countries, how is the economy where you live?

1. WriteAngled profile image72
      WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm in the UK and have not noticed any major change in my income. If anything, it's become a bit higher over the past year, because as the pound dropped I started favouring clients who pay in euros and dollars over those who pay in sterling. I get 10-15% more than when I charge on my sterling rates. However, I guess I'm lucky because as a freelance I stand or fall by my work alone rather than relying on a company run by others. I was fairly scared when I walked out of employment at the end of 2003, but now reckon it was one of the better decisions I made in my life.

1. profile image0
        StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you are doing well..so many are hurting these days. My income has gone up a lot the past 18 months...almost make me feel bad about it.

2. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice to hear this, you are able to control a lot of the things in your life working online. smile The economy here is OK.

2. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My income actually rose from 0 to 2 cents thanks to Hubpages, at this rate I'll be the richest college student in Virginia!

Thankfully, the economy hasn't actually affected my family. My parents are both cogs in the great military-industrial complex machine, so luckily for us their jobs aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

1. profile image0

Wow, what are ya gonna do with that 2 cents?..tongue lol
        I wish you great success here!

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

mine has dropped from 100k+ to 0...

but I'm ok, living off savings for now...

1. profile image0

WoW..thats a big drop!!! I should count myself lucky to have a good job and live where the cost of living is still fairly low.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea? maybe I better plan a trip to Iowa huh...  wink

1. profile image0

I'm just across the river from those guys in Iowa..in Nebraska.
          Pretty close to goldenpath and the other girl...whatshername???

I don't remember...

2. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol  ME TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!  lol lol  I swear  lol

3. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Our business has been cut in half all year. It picked up in January and this month we have more than doubled our sales from last February.

4. pddm67 profile image60
    pddm67posted 14 years ago

Don't know exactly how much our household's income dropped last year but drop it did.

My hours at work got cut, and I already work part time and my husband, a letter carrier, lost all overtime last year, the first time in 14 years. And things at the USPS aren't looking too bright. Didn't realize exactly how much those extra hours made a difference until they weren't there any more.

Both my sister and sister-in-law have been affected as well. One is a partner in a construction company and that area isn't doin well either. The other might lose her job when her medical office closes -she's already had her hours cut too.

Still making it but yeah - it's affecting us over here in NY.

1. profile image0

My dad got laid off early last year for about three months after being at the same job for 17 years but found another job that pays about the same as his old job so he got lucky. I was out in Upstate New York a while back...love the Adiorndacks..can't wait to go back. Hope things get better for you soon smile

1. pddm67 profile image60
        pddm67posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's cool that your dad found another job that pays the same. Glad that it worked out well smile

Thank you for your kind words  smile  I always try to remain positive and put out good energy. I'm sure that things will start picking up. The will works wonders!

Upstate NY is beautiful! The Adiorndacks are about 5 hrs away from me. Haven't been up there since the kids were born. No one in my household (other than me) likes to be in a car for more than 3-4 hours. They might just all have to "man up" (even my daughter) this year and deal! I think you just picked out a nice long weekend getaway for us big_smile

1. profile image0

We rented a lake house in the little village of Indian Lake..is was so nice. I got some pic's on a hub I wrote about the Adirondacks..too pretty up there...I grew up in the mountains of Colorado, Wyoming and Montana...and have to say I think I liked it just as much as those...maybe more?

1. pddm67 profile image60
            pddm67posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cool - I'll have to check out the hub - thanks!

Must have been nice growing up in the mountains. Any place where you are surrounded by nature's beauty is wonderful but the mountains offer a different kind of "zen feeling" than let's say the beaches do. There you are truly at one w/nature. Glad NY can compare smile

5. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

I wrote a hub about how the recession affected us.  It has been tough, having 3 kids and all, but we are resourceful and are doing ok.

1. profile image0

It's good to hear you are doing alright...what part of the country are you in?..It's interesting to hear how it's effected other parts of the U.S and other countries as well.

1. megs78 profile image60
        megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im up in Canada. We didn't see the devastation that the US experienced during the recession,  but since we rely so heavily on the states, their devastation ultimately becomes our own.

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

My buisness is about average maybe up a bit but, my wife makes way more than me and she just keeps going up no slowdown in site. Over the last year or so they've increased volume by 150%. I know thats not the same everywhere but Texas is hanging in there!smile

7. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

i lost my job in October but cant say its because of the economy - i was in a terrible work situation and although right now I have no income I feel totally comfortable with how things are and where my life is going.  (cuz i'm taking the opportunity to go to college & i'm writing instead of thinking about it)

8. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

"I just read the average household income in the U.S dropped nearly $2000.00 dollars in 2009 to $48,500 for a household of two working people. Have you been affected by the economy? I know some of us here are in the U.K or other countries, how is the economy where you live?

I'm just across the river from those guys in Iowa..in Nebraska.
    Pretty close to goldenpath and the other girl...whatshername???"

Storm, I'm a bit confused....in your OP you state "some of us here in the U.K." and then again state" I'm just across the river from those guys in Iowa" - so are you in the states or the UK?

1. profile image0

Oh, I was referring to some of the members here on hubpages are in other countries..I'm here in the states..sorry for any confusion

1. Jane@CM profile image59
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now I understand, I thought you might be an international world traveler smile with many multiple residence smile

1. profile image0

Not yet smile Maybe someday I can have homes in other countries.

9. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

The economy here sucks!!!   hmm

10. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

you said sucks.

11. Mike Lickteig profile image76
    Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

The economy has hit me so hard, I hate to even talk about it.  Without savings I would be on the ropes.

1. profile image0

Hi Mike, that sucks, we're not feeling it up here.  Hey move to Canada eh?

1. Hokey profile image59
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now you said sucks! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm   big_smile

1. profile image0

LMFAO never thought of that. That sucks lol

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and together you are two are suckers lol lol lol

1. profile image0

Two suckers sucking.....and a partridge in a pear tree.

What's up Stormy? How are you today? smile

1. profile image0

I'm ok...trying to recover from the spill I took the other day...hurt my hip and back...but I got some good pain pills smile

2. profile image0

Hope things get better for ya Mike..

12. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

They should add a chat room here...make it easier to talk with people.

That would defeat the purpose of keeping it a non-social networking place. There are just some of us who are more active than others.

I estimate that there are about 300 hubbers maximum who spend any amount of time in the forums. Many people have more exciting lives to live than to socialize here. lol

I'm not insinuating anything when I say that, because HubPages is a Writer's Community, with all sorts of different writers. The forums are to gain ideas from and even debate issues between members. smile

1. profile image0

I can see that point. smile

And yes the medication is nice...I got to start physical therapy tomorrow...really twisted my hip good.

OUCH! hmm

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

I suggested that when I first got here, they decided against it though...

Sorry to hear you hurt yourself...I hope you feel better soon.

1. profile image0

I'm getting better, still a bit sore but improving everyday smile

I'm glad to hear that, no permanent damage then...

1. profile image0

No permanent damage. Just stained or pulled everything around the hip area. The first few days were terrible but the pain is going away day by day smile

smile

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Sorry to hear you hurt yourself. Good that you have medicine to kill pain too. wink

1. profile image0

Sorry hun must kill, get better soon sad

1. profile image0

It hurts like hell...but I have had the whole week off from work!!! smile Did it monday morning...I'm getting better, slowly.
        Hope to be back to full speed soon!

14. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

hmm:

15. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 14 years ago

It's a toss-up as to whether the economy will get better or worse in the coming months and years. But experts are saying that if you're of retirement age then take the Social Security money and run. Don't continue to work to increase your retirement allotment. With the U.S. economy in complete upheaval, monies from one entitlement fund might be used to support another -- kind of like a legalized ponzi scheme. Entire countries are going bankrupt, the Euro might be dissolved, and if anybody thinks the U.S. can overcome a trillions-dollar national debt they're sadly mistaken. Entrench, save (in a sock), and hunker down.

1. profile image0

The way things are I could see that happening. sad

16. gmann46 profile image59
    gmann46posted 14 years ago

In my world the recession has created a major impact. I have gone from 125K a year to unemployment of about 17k. I apply for positions and the feedback I get from employers is I am up against anywhere from 3-600 applicants for one position!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)