ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Does Hubpages Take a Percentage of My Other Webpages in Google Adsense, or Just the Hubpages Ones?

Updated on March 20, 2019
Click thumbnail to view full-size
These pictures have nothing to do with the article but I thought I would try out the slide show feature.
These pictures have nothing to do with the article but I thought I would try out the slide show feature.
These pictures have nothing to do with the article but I thought I would try out the slide show feature.

Revenue Sharing

Some hubbers have asked: does hubpages take a percentage of my adsense earnings from all my sites, or just the articles I publish on

Hubpages does not actually take a percentage of your Google Adsense earnings at all. Your earnings are always all yours and Hubpages's earnings are always their own.

Hubpages uses a revenue sharing model. This means that every time someone views an article your publish on hubpages, the page will either load your adsense code or hubpages adsense code. If someone clicks on an adsense link while your code is displayed, you will earn money from adsense; Hubpages will earn nothing.

On the other hand, if someone clicks on an adsense ad, while hubpages' adsense code is being displayed, the money is earned by hubpages alone and you get zero.

On average your own ad is displayed 60% of the time and hubpages gets the other 40%.

Whether someone clicks on your ad or hubpages' ads is completely random.

This revenue sharing model only applies to hubs published here on It has nothing to do with what you earn by installing the adsense code on your own blog or website somewhere else.

40 Percent isn't 40 Percent, Necessarily

Currently, Hubpages takes 40% of your adsense impressions. What this means is that for every 100 times that your page is viewed, 40 of those page views will display Hubpages Adsense code while the remaining 60% will display your adsense account.

If each visitor were to click on the adsense ads every time they load your hub, this would mean that you would get 60 percent of the adsense revenue while Hubpages would get the rest. But in real life, it doesn't work that way.

The 60/40 split of Adsense ad displays just means that, all things being equal, there is a 60 percent chance that someone will clcik on your ad as opposed to an ad belonging to Hubpages. But all things are not equal: people do not click on ads in a predictable and even manner; they are influenced by a number of other factors including the text of the adsense ad that happens to be displayed. Sometimes they do not click at all.

Therefore, if you get 100 visitors and only 5 click on an ad, there is no way of predicting whether the ad revenue will be split 60/40. What can happen is that all 5 of these clicks may go to you or to hubpages, depending on which adsense account is being displayed. As a result, you can get a lot of revenue from a few clicks, or you may get no clicks at all, if they all go Hubpages.

Does this mean that you shouldn't publish articles on websites that use a revenue sharing model? That depends. If you can build your own website and attract visitors to it, you may be better off keeping alld of the ad revenues for yourself. But the advantage of revenue sharing sites such as Hubpages is that they have high traffic and therefore there is a better chance that your article will be read and will generate ad revenue for you.

So the percentage of the adsense profits that you give up on an adsense revenue sharing site can be viewed as the price of doing business. You should ask yourself - will the site I publish on generate enough traffic and revenue for me so that I am better off here than on my own site?

These articles may help you to better understand how hubpages and revenue sharing works.


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)