- HubPages Tutorials and Community
Hubpages: Great Outlet For The Sick & Shut-in
As I take care of my elderly Mom, I notice that she enjoys reaching out on the computer, reading different articles on various websites, shamelessly gleaning recipes (SMILE), and e-mailing what she learns to her friends. There are times when I come home from work and she shares with me the great information she has gotten off of the Internet. She shares about information that made her laugh and information that will help her improve her health. That got me thinking about what a great resource Hubpages is for those who are sick & shut-in, no matter the age. The term "sick & shut-in" is one that I learned of from church. We were encouraged to pray for the sick & shut-in - those unable to get to church, and we did pray for them. We would even wave to the TV cameras because some were watching the service on the Internet. Since the sick & shut-in had computer access they could not only read great articles on Hubpages, but they are able to ask questions and get answers. They can participate in the forums, contests, and more as well as create for themselves an extra income. There were times when I did not feel well and stayed home from work or even church, but I got my laptop and to Hubpages I went. There are those who are forced to stay home because of a physical limitation or are recovering from an illness and need an outlet to the outside world and I think Hubpages is a wonderful outlet for the sick & shut-in.
Hubpages has so many wonderful writers who are in different fields. There are teachers, doctors, lawyers, authors, stay-at-home Moms, stay-at-home Dads, philanthropists, grandmas, grandpas, nurses, journalists, etc. that have anecdotes, solutions to various issues, encouraging stories, and overall life lessons to share.
The Hubpages Community is warm and knowledgeable and can offer the following to the sick & shut-in:
- A place to hear from people who are in similar circumstances or who have been through similar circumstances. A place to hear how people handled or are handling their circumstances.
- A place to discover remedies, recipes, and real-isms.
- A place to get parenting advice.
- A place to read about real love stories.
- A place to read about trials and triumphs.
- A place to discover new friends and old friends.
- A feeling of not being alone or feeling lonely.
- Laughter - I have found some funny Hubs.
- How to bless others with their words.
- Information on taking care of your health, your family's health, and the health of your pets.
- An alternative to radio and TV. The sick & shut-in can watch videos about certain topics. This is especially helpful to those who don't own a DVD player or may not know how to operate one (yes, those people are out there, SMILE).
- How-to's on beginning new projects.
- A writing outlet to stimulate the mind, the spirit and encourage creative thinking.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of benefits Hubpages can offer the sick & shut-in. I encouraged my Mom to get on Hubpages and she enjoys the community very much. I have not only enjoyed the articles themselves, but I have enjoyed the photos that go along with the articles. The photos help to draw in readers as well. Some readers may relate to and be drawn to your article based on the photo(s) more so than the title of your article.
Let's share Hubpages with the sick & shut-in, if some of us have not already. I believe they will enjoy this online community.