Make Money Writing
How To Make Money From Your Writing
Even before the economy made the concept of a "permanent" job a joke, there have always been many people who have dreamed of the freedom of writing for a living. Working from home, hours that suit, easy to fit childcare and other responsibilities around work, - the ideal job yes?
Well yes - and no. Earning money as a writer has never been easy - and today fewer and fewer books are being published and magazines and newspapers are downsizing or disappearing entirely all over the world.
At the same time the barriers of entry to writing have never been lower, writing on the Internet is easy - anyone can do it - with little or no trainng - and it shows.
How to make money on-line from your writing ability? Fundamentally there are two, and only two ways to make money on-line writer:
- You can work as a freelance writer A hired pen where you are paid to write blog posts, e-books, articles for a client. You get the job, do the job, the client accepts your work and you invoice and get paid. This report is not about freelancing for a living though it is entirely possible to make a full-time income working as a freelancer but its hard work and if you stop working you will stop being paid - just like any job.
- You can use your writing ability to develop your own money generating sites and articles. You can then get paid from advertising on those sites.
If you are thinking of becoming a freelance writer I'd suggest you read the following two hubs by Pam and Martyn- they may take the rose covered glasses off!
Freelance Writing As a Career
- Freelance Writing for a Living
FREELANCE WRITING FOR A LIVING In this Hub, we aim to show you the mentality and skills required to become a Freelance Writer. Once you have the right mindset, you can join the thousands of people freelance writing for a living.
Developing Your Own Money Making Site
This should be your ultimate goal. Why? Quite simply because you are building a business rather than moving your job from an office to the spare bedroom. A website can make you money while you sleep, while you play on the beach, 24/7. Developing your own website is not that easy. Sorry if you have read an e-book or two that have led you to believe that it is. Its not.
There are three main barriers for most people who want to develop their own sites
- Technical. You have to learn how to set up a domain and hosting and also to use your software of choice e.g. WordPress or Dreamweaver (or one of the many free alternatives). None of this is expensive: a .com domain name normally costs around $10/year and website hosting can be had for as little as $5/month.
- You have to develop a site on the right subject. You need, what is known in the industry as a "buying keyword". Like any business there is little chance of making a money just by doing what you love. I know that's the standard advice - write what you know and they will come. That may be true - eventually. But those that come may not buy, and if they don't buy you aren't making any money. A buying keyword is not a simple thing to find - thinking like your potential customer, unless you happen to come from a sales background, is hard.
- Promotion. The most perfectly written site on the most buying keywords ever - say "reduce credit card debt" or "lose weight now" will make a beginner absolutely no money at all. Yes they do make some people lots and lots of money - that's why they are very, very competitive keywords - they pay. But Internet marketing is the ultimate capitalist game - the only people who win are those who are on the first 10 results (page 1) of Google's results for that keyword phrase. Those sites aren't there by accident. Those sites are there because their owners know exactly how to promote them.
Developing your own money making websites may be your ultimate goal, or you may already have sites but you want to find new ways to promote them.
Either way this hub is not about making those websites. This is the first in a series of hubs about an easier way to make money on-line for the beginner - using HubPages.com.
HubPages is an place to start for those new to developing their content and sites on the Internet. HubPages is also a useful tool for those who have got further along the development of their online business.
I've learnt a lot on HubPages and this is the first of a series of hubs about how I see HubPages as a stepping stone to a full-time income on the Internet.