jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Resolved: Make Username not be case-sensitive for Login

1. BlissfulWriter profile image83
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

When logging into HubPages, I can understand that the password should be case-sensitive.   However, the username need not be.   

I spent a few failed attempts at logging in only to realize that I have to type "BlissfulWriter" as my username instead of "blissfulwriter".   The login authentication should allow both.

I'm assuming that HubPages should not allow the existance of two usernames with the same spelling but with different case.  That should be a given.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 5 years ago

Having the username be case-sensitive offers greater security for site users.  That should be a given.

3. jacharless profile image79
    jacharlessposted 5 years ago

Agreed, case sensitivity is often a better solution, although not exactly fool-proof.
    Presently, when signing in, I was able to pass through using All Uppercase, All lowercase, and a combo of both Upper and lower -case. There are several approaches for handling username authentication, script-side. Still, the password appears to be md4 or md5, which is an very effective encryption.

James.

4. MickiS profile image83
    MickiSposted 5 years ago

Usernames for login are not case sensitive.

With my username, MickiS, for example, I can login with mickis, Mickis, MickiS, MICKIS, etc. It's all the same.

1. BlissfulWriter profile image83
      BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oh, okay.  My mistake then, I must have been having trouble because I was trying to use the keyboard on my phone.   In any case, username not case sensitive is fine as currently.   Feel free to close this case.  Thanks.

1. MickiS profile image83
        MickiSposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Phone keyboard? Yep, that's gotten me in trouble on more than one occasion. :-)

working