jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

One of my Hubs gets a 410 error linked from a site.

1. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 5 years ago

I check it on Webmaster Tools and a site has a link to my Hub and the crawler couldn't crawl the Hub because it got a 410 (dead end, no trace) error. Does anyone know if there is a way to remedy that problem or whether it matters?

1. Dale Hyde profile image88
      Dale Hydeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If it is just a one time error, or happens seldom, this is simply because there was a timeout whenever Google happened to spider the hub.

This happens here, but rarely, as I have it show as well.  I also see it from sites that I own from time to time. Usually it is nothing to worry about.

2. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

As I said in another forum, tweaks by 'G' to their algo plus HP doing tweaks plus 'Idled' hubs, may cause changes not seen before. We are hoping it's temporary.

1. NateB11 profile image93
      NateB11posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I thought that was probably it, because the error occurred right around the same time the changes occurred. I did find the 410 error once before, but turned out it was one of my own bad links so I deleted those links. This time the links came from a different site which I don't use; but hopefully it is something that will iron out as you say. If not, I still wondered if there's a way to deal with the 410 error. Only thing I've read is that you can ask a site to remove the links. Not sure about doing that, hoping there's an even easier solution or it resolves itself. The Hub never was idled though, so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that.

3. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

That other site may have got a royal 'G' slapping and down for maintenance lol but you can also 'disavow' links using your 'G' webmasters tools smile this way, 'G' will remove the link for you. Just a thought.

4. NateB11 profile image93

I did not know you could disavow links through webmaster tools, definitely worth looking into. Thanks for the suggestion, I did not know about that.

5. NateB11 profile image93

That is really good to know. Thanks, Dale!

working