jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do back links work?

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

My new blog is set up on Wordpress, which has a space to show blogs that have linked to mine.  I've also signed up for the Google webmaster tools which show sites that have linked to mine.

Neither of them is showing any links, yet I know they exist.  There are several belly dance sites which have linked to mine, plus articles I've posted at ezine, AC and here on HP.  Not to mention a few links on forums around the place.

How long does it take for links to show up?

2. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 9 years ago

I think it can take a several weeks or more for links to show up in the webmaster tools.  I don't know how it works in wordpress.

3. Marisa Wright profile image98

Thanks Paul.  Sounds like it's just me being impatient as usual!

4. Lissie profile image79
    Lissieposted 9 years ago

Or months even! Though hubpages one show up fairly fast! the yahoo tool shows more backlinks faster

5. Marisa Wright profile image98

That's what flummoxed me, Lissie.  I have two links on HubPages articles and they haven't shown up yet - it's been at least a month.

I hadn't looked at the Yahoo tool - you're right, it's picked up quite a few of the links already, though (once again) not the HP ones.

6. Lissie profile image79
    Lissieposted 9 years ago

Only the google-bot knows; its pretty random or very hi-tech take your pick :-)

7. johnr54 profile image48
    johnr54posted 9 years ago

I would not waste my time waiting for links to show up on Google, either with the link: operator in the search tool or in the Webmaster tools.

Here is Google's info on links being reported

http://www.google.com/support/webmaster … opic=13509

Note the comment at the bottom

"Note: While the External links page provides a larger sampling of links to your site, not all links to your site may be listed. This is normal."

John

working