Others you might like …

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Reality Bytes profile image72
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

Oh give me a break!!!

This was listed on my profile as Others you might like …

No content yet.

Welcome R. J. Lefebvre to HubPages

Look's like R. J. Lefebvre is still pretty new to HubPages. Now's your chance to be the first to greet them and welcome them to the amazing HubPages community. Follow them to let them know they have an audience for their work, or send Fan Mail and ask them to share more about themselves.

Says 13 hubs published but profile shows no content!

5 weeks since last activity, and my readers may enjoy this!

Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just figured out, all the hubs have probably been euthanized!  Do you think my viewers may enjoy this, really, REALLY!

If this is true I am overly confused.  If I have an idle hub, it will not show up on my profile, I am fine with that, I do however take offense that somehow another potential negative link has been placed on my profile, WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.  I do not mind the "Others you might like …", I am more than happy to share.  Most times these hubbers have scores in the high 90's, are well established and IMO probably are adding value to my profile.  This, though, is unacceptable!

2. Reality Bytes profile image72
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

OOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I am showing another hubber with one published hub, pretty low criteria!

3. profile image0
    summerberrieposted 11 years ago

Reality Bytes, this bothers me too. I followed one "others you might like" who joined two years ago had over 150 hubs, but only three showed up on her profile page. Two of those three were about pole dancing. Nothing against it, but do people reading my hubs on how to travel on a budget or making apple pies really appreciate me suggesting this hubber? And yes, it appears like I"M making the suggestion sad  Why have these additional links to our page?

I have had hubbers show up that I was proud to display on my profile. 

This is not only not adding value, based on what I have been reading, these links could be having negative results.  Why would HP allow this, should there not be some semblance of criteria before becoming visible as a reference?

I cannot post links of my own on my profile, but c'mon HP, PLEASE, GIVE ME A BREAK!  Do I really need to display other's idled hubs on my page?

1. profile image0
        summerberrieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

agreed.  i just edited my post to add; Why have these additional links to our page?

4. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 11 years ago

Some of the missing Hubs might be zZzs, but some might be Hubs without zZz that were moved to other venues.

I just got a G+ Gmail about someone's Hub.  Went to check it out.  This new Hub was all of 225 words and was written by an Apprentice graduate.  Go figure.

5. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Perhaps the "others you might like" could be drawn from our followers and those whom we follow.

I would like this.  Great suggestion!

2. timorous profile image82
      timorousposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I suggested this in the original thread on the 'new profile' setup. Maybe the staff will have a second look at this, and upgrade the criteria, or drop the links altogether.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image92
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It IS based on mutual followers.  When I look at the "Others you may like" on my profile page, it tells me the # of mutual followers each of these other Hubbers have.

6. CyclingFitness profile image88
    CyclingFitnessposted 11 years ago

I suppose it also comes down to how many profile views you get a day? Is that a significant number in the grand scheme of things?

The hubbers i've seen have been fair to low in their quality but there are very few sport and fitness writers that I would truly recommend on hubpages (There may be many here but i'm yet to find them as yet)

7. Aficionada profile image81
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

I think that coming up with a workable algorithm for choosing "Others You Might Like" would have to be a major challenge. If the choice is limited to those who follow me and those whom I follow, there could still be some unwanted choices.  Think of the popular Hubbers who have over a thousand followers. Are the thousand-plus all equally worthy of being "Others You Might Like"?

And then, what about those excellent writers (there really are some) who have spent their time writing good Hubs, but who haven't gained a following yet, or who haven't begun following many others? I would love to see their work featured, rather than someone who has simply learned how to gain followers.

I don't know what details the current algorithm chooses, in order to match up "Others."  But I do know what I would use, if I were designing it myself. I would start with these:
    the categories the Hubbers have chosen to follow;
    the categories in which the Hubbers write;
    how their Hubs have been rated;
    possibly how the Hubbers interact with others (through forum posts? via comments on Hubs?).

I'm sure there are many other important factors, but these are the ones I would use first.

Or, instead of a blacklist, we could be allowed to choose our own "Others".

1. Aficionada profile image81
        Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can see that as a possibility. I think (think!) that what I would like best would be for us to be able to access the list of probable matches to put on our profiles. Then we could see if any unknowns are acceptable, and we could "block" or "boost" others on the list.

I'm not sure that that idea is workable, and I'm not sure that it's actually fair. But I hate to think that the better-known Hubbers could be squeezing out the less-known ones, simply for lack of knowing anything about them. If I were to stick only to the ones I know, I could miss some really good Hubbers, and so might my readers.  I like to think that HP is trying to build in ways to boost or create traffic for newer or less-known Hubbers. But I'm uncomfortable with having absolutely no say in the process.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is brilliant, Reality Bites,  and would be far preferable!

3. Judi Bee profile image90
        Judi Beeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)