Google ratings

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (31 posts)
  1. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Does Google rate you based on the total number of pageviews to your subdomain or is it broken down my hubs?

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Google ranks every url, based mainly on the number and quality of incoming links.

jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for being so dense, psychskinner; don't know exactly what that means. Do you mean links I put in the hub?

2. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jan, I think you should read this article on what google actually says about page rank. http://www.google.com/competition/howgo … works.html

I just read it, good info. I think I understand a little better now. Thanks, I appreciate you :-)

1. Cardisa profile image87
          Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome smile

2. Taleb80 profile image79
        Taleb80posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for adding this helpful link.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Both.  It's similar to the way HubPages gives our Hubs a HubScore and our overall account a Hubber score, though it's far more sophisticated of course.

Google "scores" each Hub individually, but it also judges your entire sub-domain and gives it a Panda score.  We don't know exactly how the Panda score is worked out, but we do know it's not a simple average - Google has said that even one or two "low quality" posts will dramatically affect your Panda score.

The Panda score then gets factored into the score for each Hub.  So if your sub-domain has a poor Panda score, it doesn't matter how successful single Hubs have been - they will lose their position in the search results because the poor Panda score will drag them down.

That's why HubPages introduced sub-domains.  Once upon a time, HubPages was just one big site and (like today) they had a constant battle against spammers posting poor quality Hubs.  That didn't really matter before Panda was introduced, because each Hub was judged individually.  After Panda, traffic to the whole site dived, because HubPages had been awarded a dreadful Panda score (based on the worst Hubs). 

By introducing sub-domains, HubPages solved that problem because each sub-domain is its own website, and each gets its own separate Panda score.

Okay, now this makes sense to me. The reason I asked is that I have one hub out of 31 that does well in Google search; the rest not so good. Can I rely on that hub to carry the bulk of a good Panda rating while I work on creating better hubs? Or will the poorly searched hubs (at least half) be detrimental to the performance of the good hub, causing a poor overall rating?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

Like I said, Panda looks at your whole sub-domain, it doesn't rate each Hub individually.  It's looking for problems - if it finds them, even just a few, then points get deducted.    You don't get extra points for having a spectacular post, but you do lose them for having bad ones.

However, don't confuse "bad" with "poorly searched".   If having "poorly searched" Hubs could hurt your sub-domain, then every news site in the world would be in trouble - because they have thousands of posts in their archives, and how many people search for yesterday's news?    Panda doesn't check your traffic stats!

You probably already know what bad means - things like too short, keyword-stuffed, poor spelling, unrelated links, prohibited topics.  Personally, I always worry when Hubbers have poems on their account, because Panda doesn't know a poem is special - it just sees a short Hub.    If you want to write poetry here, then I suggest you take a look at Pearldiver's method of creating a poetry Hub.

Got it, thanks Marisa. By the way, I've been adding topical text to my poetry to lengthen the hub since I started at hp. I realized early on that the poem itself doesn't always work. Coincidentally, I'm working on one as we speak. That may upset some purists but if we want our stuff to get traffic we have to do whatever works while maintaining the integrity of the art.

2. Anna Sternfeldt profile image60
            Anna Sternfeldtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting information indeed! As a newbie here I have a lot to learn and I am happy for people like you sharing what you know. I have one question on the issue being "too short", how long is long enough and when is it too short?

2. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I doubt the panda update will harm your subdomain if you're hubs are not receiving traffic. Are they high quality, do they have enough content to answer people's queries? Most of all - would you enjoy reading your article if you were the person searching for that info.

If you're answer to the above questions is "Yes" then don't bother about anything else. Just go on writing and updating your current hubs. I only update when I see people coming to my hubs via new search phrases that are related to the hub but I don't already have an answer to that question.

Plus you're here just 4 months, it took most of my top hubs a minimum of 6 months before they settled down and ranked well. Some of them took almost 9 months to reach the first page. Patience pays

Thanks for that, lobobrandon.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

The Panda score is based on everything Google can see on your sub-domain, whether they're receiving traffic or not.  So yes, a poor quality Hub can hurt your sub-domain even if it's not being searched much.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

What I meant was, if it's not receiving traffic doesn't mean it's bad quality. She's here just 4 months and her hubs would probably do better in a few more months

2. Faith A Mullen profile image78
              Faith A Mullenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good to know! I have wondered why people suggest deleting hubs that don't generate traffic (once they've matured), so this makes sense.

You're confusing poor traffic with poor quality again.

A Hub that doesn't get traffic will NOT damage your sub-domain!

A Hub that's poor quality will damage your sub-domain.  There are lots of reasons a Hub may not get traffic, and often it's nothing to do with quality.

1. Faith A Mullen profile image78
                  Faith A Mullenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah, I had missed your post above about confusing "bad" with "poorly searched." Think I got it now. So as long as you're posting all good quality hubs, you should not need to delete anything to improve your google ratings? Thanks for the clarity, Marisa.

2. ptosis profile image66
                  ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. So if it's obscure but well written - it's get a good google score. Is that why a hub score may be good (above 75) yet have only 350 lifetime hits?

what is the cutoff for a good hubscore?

A large component of HubScore is how much traffic a Hub is getting, so HubScore is just a reflection of a Hub's success, not an indicator of quality.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I mean other sites that link to your hub.

Okay . . . . . So when someone reads my hub and likes it, they may, for example, "refer" it to others (backlink?) who read it, and so on, and so on?

3. bizwin profile image66
    bizwinposted 11 years ago

Hi Anna, 500 to 600 word counts will do. But if you have more to write about, you can still do. The only problem is having less than 500 words. You want people to stay for a little bit longer reading your hub, and Google loves it too.

1. Anna Sternfeldt profile image60
      Anna Sternfeldtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks very much bizwin for that!

4. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

Panda does the WHOLE subdomain? Including unpublished & draft hubs! OMG!

1. lobobrandon profile image88

No way! there's no way for google or any other crawler to go through your draft and unpublished hubs. And according to the new feature on HP, your non-featured hubs will have a no-index tag as well.

1. ptosis profile image66
        ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whew!

I was looking at the micro workers and Click workers and there seems to be a lot of "jobs" about adding a link. The customer who owns an url is selling .43 dollars for a link on somebody's blog. Is this is what it has come down to? Or has it been like this always?
        http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7557963_f248.jpg

I remember way back when about reciprocal links then google changed to one way link and now it's Panda score - all to stem the tide of SEO

There has always been a market for paid backlinks, but in the past people did it by joining a blog network designed for the purpose.  Google worked that out and destroyed most of them, so now there's a small army of bloggers doing it piecemeal for a few cents here and there.

2. Californialaw profile image60
          Californialawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I once worked with a company that used Microworkers and i have to say its mostly garbage. Anyone who's willing to sit around all day for  40 cents is just not going to be able to follow directions well or have any kind of account or blog of value. Its pretty blackhat IMO

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

Not sure if you're being sarcastic?   I was assuming people would understand that Panda can only look at what Google can see.  So no, not unpublished and not idled.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)