jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)

Google pages in sync w/HP topic pages?

1. janshares profile image90
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

Are the rankings of our featured hubs on the topics pages precursors to how well our hubs will rank on google pages? For example, if I write a stellar hub on gala apples that lands in the #1 slot on the "All Topics" page, in addition to landing at the top of the first page of "Food and Cooking", is that hub more likely to land on Google's first page as a top-ranked article?

I ask this because I noticed that the position or "rank" of featured hubs on the topic pages and sub-topics changes a lot and is quite fluid. I suspect the rankings change as more hubs are published/unpublished/deleted/unfeatured, and as the hub continues to go through QAP/get comments/feedback.  I also suspect that a lot of the reason behind where that hub lands has to do with SEO title.
    [All of this starts m'brain to churn and wonder if this is behind why hubscores change so much.]

Is HP QAP criteria for evaluating hubs in sync with Google criteria for ranking articles?

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages bases their ranking on things like feedback and quality of the article.

Google uses very different algorithms which know one precisely knows, but are thought to be based mainly around keywords, backlinks, time on page, freshness, age and many other variables.

You can rank top of Hubpages for 'unimpressed turtle' but if no one is typing that into Google, you'll never get a single view.

jansharesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for answering, Wrylit, thought I'd never get one. smile One more thing: don't quite understand backlinks. To make it simple for me, using same example above, how would a backlink work for "unimpressed turtle?" Someone who searches for and reads that hub would place the hub url on their site or article?

A backlink is any link pointing back to your site/page.

Backlinks are based on:
          -Quality (a link from Wikipedia is worth more than your Nana's blog).
          -Related (a link from a cooking site to a turtle site is not related).
          -Anchor text (for instance having "click here" as the anchor text isn't very good quality.) Google used to prefer keywords as the anchor text (for instance "This is a story about an [UNIMPRESSED TURTLE]" but now there's word they're veering more towards branding (This is a story about an unimpressed turtle from [JAN'S BLOG]").

But if you had ten thousand backlinks to your Unimpressed Turtle hub, and 0 people were Googling "unimpressed turtle", it still wouldn't help you.

Still a little foggy but I think I'm getting it. Back to the example: First of all, the reader would have to have an interest in researching about "turtles." They come across my hub via a google search and think it would add value to their article/site. So they link it with "Jan's Blog" and reference the story about "unimpressed turtle." When readers click on "Jan's Blog" within the text, they are directed to my hub. If more readers are interested and click on it as well, my traffic increases. Right?
            Now, you're last line about ten thousand backlinks: do you mean I would still need organic searches about "unimpressed turtle" via Google to see significant traffic, regardless of how many readers are clicking on the backlinks?

Backlinks get you traffic in two ways:

1. By direct clicks on the links.
              2. Search engines base how good they think your page/site is based on how many links are pointing to it. So think of every link as an endorsement - whether it's from a nobody or someone famous, they all add up.

Thank you so much for this lesson. I got it now. I appreciate your patience and generosity.

smile

working