Question about Hubber Score

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. cool7 profile image60
    cool7posted 11 years ago

Hello to everyone.

Yesterday I created my HubPages account and published my first Hub. I also already answered one question (on 'answers' section), followed some topics. What is making me frustrated is that since the time my account was created, my Hubber Score has only been dropping, no matter what I do. I've read about how the score is calculated (many factors involved) and that it might fluctuate, but I think it's not so motivating, specially for new users, that you publish a new hub, the score immediately goes down, you answer a question, it goes down again. At least that's what happened to me. I could think that maybe I got penalized because the quality of the hub wasn't good, but then again, it is still "undergoing the Quality Assessment Process" and I already saw a drop in the score moments after I clicked 'Publish'.
    In my opinion, it would be much more inspiring if for every "good" action (create a Hub, answer a question,etc.) you would get a reward in score, and it would only go down in case of some bad practice.
    This discussion about Hubber Score is very interesting by the way: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/107466
    I really liked this community, it's a very friendly place, just I don't understand why not making the score more stable and reliable.

Best Regards

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The score remains a mystery at this point.  Disregard it!

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to the site, Cool!  It's very normal for Hubber scores to fluctuate, and (oddly enough) they do go down after hubs are published.  Then they go back up. Just keep doing what you're doing, and it will build quickly.

Other ways to increase your score are to 'hop hubs' - you will see a link above your accounts that says "Help us out, hop some hubs.!"  That takes you to the newest hubs, and you can rate their quality with 'sliders' on the left side of the screen.  Also, you can report anything that's a violation of site rules or is low-quality.  This is a huge help to the site. 

If you read hubs by other writers and leave comments (and vote them up, if they're good), that also adds to your score.

Everyone here went through the early days of getting their accounts started, so don't worry. You will see your numbers and scores grow!  Good luck - it's great to have you here!

1. brianrock profile image85
        brianrockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's odd that the score goes down after you publish a hub. One purpose of the Hubber score is to weed out spammers (since a low score means nofollow links).

What's the difference between spammers and real writers? They both publish hubs, but real writers have hubs that pass QAP, don't get flagged, get visits, etc. So if you want to isolate spammers, you drop the score every time a hub is published and then raise the score when something good happens (QAP passed, hub gets featured, whatever). Spammer scores go down, everyone elses scores will (eventually) rise.

Same reason why mass following drops your score. It's a spammer tactic to build links back to your subdomain and/or to get your own followers (like mass following on Twitter).

This kind of algorithm may lead to oddities in the short term, but they sort out legitimate users from spammers in the long term. So, the best advise is to stick around, wait a few days, and it will eventually sort itself out. As I recall, it took a week or two for my score to rise into the 70's, a a couple months to reach the 90s.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
          LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You make an excellent observation, glad I read it.

2. cool7 profile image60
          cool7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point! It really makes sense...

2. Page1 SEO tactics profile image54
    Page1 SEO tacticsposted 11 years ago

Marcy has given some good advice, though as Randy has said, you should disregard the hubber score.  If you are going to focus on a score it should be your individual hub score, by making sure your hubs accommodate both your audience and the search engines so that your hubs receive the traffic and viewer response needed to keep a good hub score.

3. M Zees profile image64
    M Zeesposted 11 years ago

I agree, just disregard the score.
    I started around a month ago and my Score was about 29ish something, if i remember correctly, in the start. It started dropping rapidly even though i published a couple of hubs in just 2-3 days.
    The score struck 0 with in the first week and stayed at that level for a few days before it started rising slowly but constantly and well now you can see where it stands.

I still do not understand why how and what caused this randomness, in fact as far as i know, no one on hubpages seems to know why scores behave the way they do...

4. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Welcome to HubPages, cool7!
    As you can see, we have a very helpful and supportive community that is happy to share tips- and I agree with their recommendations to ignore your HubScore and Hubber Score for now. These scores work better when there's more data, and you're so new that there is very little for us to work with now. Rest assured that it will improve over time. big_smile

5. Maggie Bennett profile image60
    Maggie Bennettposted 11 years ago

Welcome to Hub Pages, cool7

I haven't figured out how the scoring exactly works either.  You sound like you are off to a good start. It should go up soon enough.  The more you participate the better.  Good luck.

6. cool7 profile image60
    cool7posted 11 years ago

Thank you for all the replies and for sharing your opinions. It seems that, since most agree that still a mystery how the score is calculated, better not pay too much attention to it. The explanation of brianrock made me think about it in a different way, and to accept it better.

Best Regards

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)