What's the point of a hub score or hubber score?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (43 posts)
  1. seriouslystressed profile image61
    seriouslystressedposted 9 years ago

I've been on here for a few years, and I guess I never really understood the point of these scores. They don't seem to provide any real value to the user and I can't convince myself that they add value because they fluctuate so much.

What's the point? Am I supposed to use these scores to tell me that I need to work on my hubs? Just changing 2 words of a hub can change it 10 points.  Is the hubscore supposed to measure quality?? The scores seem so random.

Also why are these scores so mysterious? Shouldn't we know what factors go into these scores to improve ourselves as hubbers? I don't know how I can up my quality without knowing what I am doing wrong.. and without asking other hubbers for their input.

I wouldn't care so much, just that I read from forums on here that a score of 75 is needed to be indexed.. Maybe I misunderstood or misread or am poorly informed.

1. Nick DeGeorge profile image61
      Nick DeGeorgeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wish I understood as well the only thing I noticed is the slightest change nose dives your score or they mysteriously drop without any incident. As for a huber score it seems to reward volume and longevity rather than unique content creation. I concur why is it a mystery which Hubpages should post an explanation or why have it?

2. micko27 profile image66
      micko27posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are right, for people like you it has no value and should not. As you are here to publish hubs, try to earn and you should not bother with hubber score.

So in my opinion there are 3 types of hubpages users:
      1. Writing just as they like to write and do not bother with anything. They do not want to bother with managing their site so hubpages is great place to just write what you want about.

2. Writing and making great hubs in order to try to make traffic and earn on adsense, amazon etc...

3. SEO workers who write hubs with a priority to get a backlink to their/clients site from that hub. For them, hubber score is everything because if it over 85 then their backlink is dofollow and google counts it as a nice link so their sites get better positions on google.

Some time ago it was score of 75 to have dofollow type of link from hubs and now improved to 85. It is because Google became more strict about quality content so the hubpages followed that. The point of that limit is to prevent a lot of spammers of publishing rubbish articles just for SEO purpose. See, there are hundreds of article directories. SEO spammers have programs which submit their rubbish article to all of them. And it worked before. But spammers do not use hubpages as it is not easy to maintain that score of 85 so it is almost always below 85 and link is without value for their SEO.

Because of a lot more rules about quality hubpages survived. In past 2-3 years google killed like 99% of article directories. Hubpages want to live smile although once in a past they got hit with a google penalty and lost some % of traffic.

So to conclude. HubberScore is there just to send away SEO spammers. If it is not there then for sure Hubpages would be dead and with almost no traffic from google.

1. Tina Asalina profile image61
        Tina Asalinaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That was very informative. Now I understand a Hub and their scoring system. Wow, I need to tighten it up seriously.

Thanks!

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

According to your profile, you joined just 46 hours ago and you have a single Hub.

1. Sed-me profile image80
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is really a source of irritant to me (as if I haven't said that enough.)
        I have 6 hubs. I joined 4 months ago. All my hubs are featured. I have asked questions on the question forum (as senseless as I think that is.) I participate on this forum. I comment on other hubber's hubs. I've reported spam. I miraculously made it up to an 80, went to sleep and the very next morning, it dropped 2  points. I feel like a performing chimp. (Is that a thing?) Like a circus animal. What do they want from me? How am I failing them? I know it's stupid to be irritated by it, but somehow I take it personally for the sole purpose that I don't understand what I'm missing and no one is willing to say, "Beth, it's because you totally suck at _____" and then I could just go, "OH! I suck at ____" Thanks, I'll work on it. I must rest now. This post has taken too much out of me.

1. Solaras profile image95
          Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wish I could give you 7 of my points, but since I don't know how I got points to begin with, I can seem to figure out how to give them away.

You deserve a 99.  You lose one point for sleeping too much. lol

Why only 7? I want more. I'll give you a dollar if you give me 15 points.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
          LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just to remind you...........
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11906481.png

seriouslystressedposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Certainly feels like this sometimes! Wonder when HP will roll out something better.

2. Sed-me profile image80

Remember that one guy who said he felt like taking his own life b/c of his hubber score? I actually got banned for making a joke once about taking my own life. He said he was completely serious. So, I made a mental note. We are permitted to seriously consider taking our own lives over our hubber score, but we must never joke about it.

1. Solaras profile image95
              Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I remember him, and he is a professional comedian... Go figure...

Yeah... I was pretty sure he was kidding when I read that he was a comedian... but I guess he was only laughing on the outside... a sad clown.

3. colorfulone profile image79
            colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are so good at making me laugh.
            I like that.

3. CatherineGiordano profile image76
          CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No one knows the answer, but I am going to guess. Your hubber score may be down because 6 hubs in 4 months is not a good production rate.

Oddly enough, neither is one a day. Im not sure if anyone knows the secret safe quantity.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image76

One a day is bad? What about the 30 day challenge?  I read somewhere that you shouldn't publish 2 in one day.  I assumed it was because two in a day made it seem like you were just churning them out without real thought and quality.

Well... whatever you are doing is working perfectly so just focus on doing whatcha do and you're solid. I will go grab a bottle of wine and I will absolutely NOT make a joke about taking my own life and I will be solid too... only with a soft and chewy center. smile

2. SmartAndFun profile image95
            SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmm... I have published only three hubs in the last 12 months.

I still say Hubber scores are largely irrelevant, other than the no-follow penalty put on hubs by those with Hubber scores lower than 85. Hub scores are irrelevant, for sure.

I look at my traffic/earnings and determine for myself how well I am doing.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image89
            Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My production rate is MUCH lower than that.

2. seriouslystressed profile image61

Right. And I have another hubpages profile that's 3 years old. This will be my niche hubpages.

4. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You must have misinterpreted something or read something written by someone who doesn't know how indexing relates to hubscores, because  hub does not need a score of 75 to be indexed.

Thanks. I guess I should just go through all of the learning center info

5. CatherineGiordano profile image76

I think hub scores are counterproductive.  Yesterday I sat down to write a hub, noticed a few hub scores had dropped, and wasted the next couple of hours trying to fix them.  So that is one less hub in the world because I ran out of time. Worse yet, I didn't get the scores to rise. Note to self: IGNORE HUB SCORES.

6. CatherineGiordano profile image76

I'm going to guess. I think hub scores are related to quality. I also think they are related to traffic and not just total number of views, but total number of views in a recent time period. That's my observation. Scores go up when the hub is first published because it is getting a lot of hits. If the number of hits slows, it starts to go down. At least it appears to be true some of the time.  Perhaps it is part of the system, but it is sometimes masked by other factors. So maybe if a hub score mysteriously goes down--it can't be a quality issue because the hub itself has not changed--maybe you should work on getting more traffic.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, Catherine. My highest hubber-score hub last week (@97 for three days) has had 6 views  in a month, one last week. It is an OK hub, but not one of my favorites and certainly not in my top-ten  "best". My most viewed, and highest earning hub has had various scores, but usually not above fifth on the score list. I think a lot of randomness applies, just to keep us guessing. smile

7. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My Hubber Score goes down every time I publish a new Hub, even if that Hub's Score is good.  I always take it as HP's way of telling me it doesn't want me to publish any more articles here.  When my score goes too low, I stop publishing and helping people in the forums for a few months. 

The Hub Scores are primarily based on how people rate your Hubs using the QAP rating charts.  My lowest score on a Hub is 61. That Hub has had 130,000 views in the past 12 months and has made me a ton of money.  That should be enough to know that HP's Hub Scores are ridiculous, no indication of traffic or earnings, without knowledge of how Google evaluates a webpage, and look like they were developed by a grade-school mentality.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77

Exactly. My Ebola hub shot up in score the second day after publication. Although it is getting good traffic it has now dropped from 79 to 68...Go figure!
        The kids must be taking a nap!!!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11912151.jpg

You've been hanging out with Mark Ewbie too long.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11912179.png

8. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
      Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Based on my understanding, profile score is a score that ranks how you are devoted to hubpages e.g number of hubs you publish per month,yourcommitment to forum and commenting.
      Hub score is ranked based on the visit a hub receives and the quality.

2. Nick DeGeorge profile image61
    Nick DeGeorgeposted 9 years ago

The hubber score appears more relevant than the hub scores which change with the wind. If I change a word in the title of a hub it drops 8 points my latest hub went to 88 and dropped back to 69 without me doing anything yet it was by far my most popular hub .
    Only we see the hub score so forget it. It is not related to your work quality!!! The  only valuable information it gives is that it tells me when a hub is stale and I need to do something with it.My hubber rating is much higher than the hubs beneath it and that is important to me because people see it.

Frankly I am not sure you can make any significant money from ads on these unless you spend years and countless hours . There still appear to be numerous article farms here of regurgitated Wikipedia rewrites.

I believed hubpages was a place to write to generate original content but it's about real estate for ads most of the hubs I could look up from numerous other venues. The greatest writers of our time would not attract any ad revenue because they neither had pictures, videos, Maps nor polls their masterpieces of writing buried under tons of the top ten reasons to water flowers or how I spent a weekend watching Tv yet surprising these Hubber scores are in the 90's.

For all those frustrated there is one amazing benefit to being here which has made my life as a writer worthwhile, hubpages offers you a free place to build a portfolio of work in a professional setting that looks great. I have used my simple portfolio to secure freelance jobs and a long term contract. Writing quality work pays off. You are also learning invaluable things about SEO which will benefit you in the future when you launch your own websites etc. additionally you will see few ads for work that does not have SEO skills wanted. Before I started I did not even know the value of it .

The quote from a great writer " if some people don't like your work talk to other people." Have a good weekend.,,

NIck. Thank you for good info and advice.

1. Nick DeGeorge profile image61
        Nick DeGeorgeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Another tip I went to sleep and my hubber score dropped 5 points overnight I guess there is a prohibition against rest!

3. paperfacets profile image87
    paperfacetsposted 9 years ago

One factor that does not seem to be discussed about Hub scores is the possibility that may be there is competition making the score go up and down. We do not know, but there could be only so many positions for a given score. So if views, the group that analyzes the Hubs, so on, gives a score of 90 to a hub it may push another hub out of the ninety spot. 
    I think we need to look at it, but finally, come to the conclusion, it is just what it is. We know it is not for us to know the whole system. Like a field of plants gone wild. New shoots will crowd out the old. The old may sprout out in the spring showing new vigor.
    lol, I watch too many nature programs.

Wow. Can't believe I never thought of that! Definitely something for me to think about.

4. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

Actually, comedians and musicians have a higher rate of suicide than the national average.

5. tlcs profile image62
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

Well what can I say about the hub score, mine goes up and down like a see saw, every day it is different. I'm quite happy when it goes up, but not so happy when it goes down and tend to find myself writing another hub so it goes up again! See Saw Marjery Daw!

6. Nick DeGeorge profile image61

After three months I have finally figured it out . The title having key words boosts your score considerably . Hubs with photos goes up and having product modules related to the story impacts it.

Your hubber score depends on an average of your hubs and some mystery ingredients . I am saddened that people have figured out how to game the system to put their hubber score over 90 in a few days when it took several months of hard work to get to 90 for me.

Hub pages prefers shorter stories  about 1500 words over long articles when I split a long story into two parts the hub scores jumped immediately .

I do not understand why one day a hub score is 85 and a few days later 69 but you can boost the scores my refreshing the article I find with 21 hubs this takes a few hours a week if I had 50 I am sure it would be more difficult to find the time I did notice as some hubs rise others drop for no reason,

Yes you are rewarded for production as hubpages makes money from ads.

Do they not know we have real jobs as well?

My advice is write to please yourself you can learn much about SEO and Google and writing but if you are here to make money you will do better as a clerk at 7 11 just posting a hub can take over an hour. Let alone the time to develop write it find photos etc and then refresh it after it becomes stale.

It's more about seeing something you created published and appreciated that drives my ambition and not the $2 a month I earn from ads, one gentlemen who had a hubber score of 99 and 29 hubs took 15 months to earn $1500 from ads it's not about the money,

Good luck!'

An hour for a hub?It takes me a minimum of 4 hours and as many as 16 hours to produce a hub.  The average is 6 to 8 hours.

7. Nick DeGeorge profile image61

A misunderstanding an hour or more just to post it on hubpages when it does not freeze up or drop the photos and I have to reload them. Creating the hub yes easily 6 to 8 hours just formatting and tagging photos can take several hours .

Yes it's a very time consuming process from draft to production and then recently I refreshed a group which in itself takes several hours.

I doubt it's appreciated how long it takes to produce a simple 1500 word hub to make you laugh on eLance employers  think paying $2 a page (500) words for an article is generous it's below minimum wage!

It's pride in creating something I can be proud of and put my name on and hopefully entertain or educate a few folks is why I do it .

8. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

"What's the point of a hub score or hubber score?"

To torture us.

Mine seems to be a permanent 89. Seems to me that anyone who works up the energy to regularly post memes here should at least be worth a 90. And throw in a meme accolade while we're at it.

9. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
    Ramkitten2000posted 9 years ago

What's the point of a hub or hubber score?

I think it's a psychological experiment. smile No matter how many times we're told to ignore them, many of us still obsess about those silly numbers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)