Taking recipes off our hubs.

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (39 posts)
  1. moonlake profile image86
    moonlakeposted 11 years ago

This place ehealthydietblog is taking recipes off our hubs and it ranks as number one when I searched for one of my reicpes. You know it would get the views before we would with the ranking it has.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image80
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bump - more stolen hubs.  Thanks for letting us know, Moonlake.  Off to check mine.  Just what I'd like to do on a lovely Saturday . . .

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for letting us know. I have to check mine later.

2. silvatungfox profile image65
    silvatungfoxposted 11 years ago

I am not affected by recipes since I had none to pilfer, although I do know a few really cool effective things about cooking certain dishes.. it would not occur to me to put any not-to-be freely shared recipes in any form online. It is I suppose an issue of copyright if you are the creator of the dish, most of my recipes were handed down from someone somewhere. I have a Hungarian December Only Apricot Horns recipe for instance that took me some 10 years to acquire. I would never dream of handing that on, although the secret to making the flakiest pastry around I can use for other recipes.

I would not want anyone taking my work without my consent but I also think I would be kinda tickled pink to have someone rate my recipe as the best...
    Not much help am I?

3. Paul Maplesden profile image76
    Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years ago

If you are finding your content copied elsewhere, you can file a 'DMCA Takedown Notice' with Google and they will remove the duplicate content from their search index. If you search HP for 'DMCA', you will find information on how to do it.

1. TheKatsMeow profile image88
      TheKatsMeowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Best thing to do is file a complaint with google just as you said Paul Maplesden. If they got caught doing something like this I hope they lose their google adsense account!

4. moonlake profile image86

I have filed a DMCA so will see what happens. I don't really care that someone has my recipe but when they are putting it on their website and not putting a url back to my hubpages they may be making money from a recipe that I should be making money from.

1. silvatungfox profile image65
      silvatungfoxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

yea I get that and they shouldn't.. what I don't get is why anyone would not want to link back to such good content to begin with

I found one by Janderson, and I sent her a message to alert her. What little i saw of the 'blog' looks like most things were published on the same day or so.  Also looks like content from other sites besides HP.

5. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

This is pretty unbelievable. The food categories are replicas of hp's food categories!! big_smile How crass can you be. I didn't see any of mine but I did find this one because the name was so familiar, I remember seeing it when I surf hub topics:
    http://jackcrockett.hubpages.com/hub/Cr … ead-Crumbs

6. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I just sent Jack Crocket an email about his recipe.

7. ContriveIT profile image60
    ContriveITposted 11 years ago

I don't know if this would stop the problem but it would help you to verify thaqt the content belongs to you.

If you havn't already, set up your google plus profile. Then, in your profile here, make sure you include google + in your profile links. Go back to https://plus.google.com/authorship and put a link there pointing to your hub here. 

It seems hubpages already includes the "rel=author" into you G+ link here. So once G checks and syncs, you're good to go. When your hub is crawled, G will verify your authorship and anyone who copies afterward will suffer.

To verify all is good go here> http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets

Thanks for listing the steps to this - I have set up my G+ account, but I rarely go there.  We had glitches in getting our profile links to connect at first, then HP changed to the new profile format, so I appreciate the reminder to look into this.

Does this at all help in finding those who have stolen our content? That happens all the time here - people who want to create a website (either for ads or to get paid for setting up back links), scrape our content, and then our views plunge.

1. Paul Maplesden profile image76
        Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am not aware of G+ Profiles being used to protect copyright; they certainly *are* useful for claiming authorship; as far as I know, authorship purely relates to your ownership of content and expertise in a particular niche or topic.

It *is* a good idea to setup a G+ profile and authorship, mainly for search result reasons as authorship becomes more important, but for copyright infringement I believe that DMCA takedowns and proactive monitoring of hubs are the best tools.

8. ContriveIT profile image60
    ContriveITposted 11 years ago

PS: copyscape.com also has some handy tools for warding off leeches.

9. Marketing Merit profile image84
    Marketing Meritposted 11 years ago

Ok guys...please don't jump down my throat as I am merely making an observation...but one of the reasons I have never been tempted to write recipes is due to the ambiguity that surrounds the copyright thereof. Think of the likes of KFC and Coca Cola. They simply have secret recipes or ingredients that are never published.

Have a look at this link for further info regarding US recipe copyright...
    http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

It states that...

"Copyright law does not protect recipes that are mere listings of ingredients.
    ...Copyright protection may, however, extend to substantial literary expression—a description, explanation, or illustration, for example—that accompanies a recipe or formula or to a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook."

1. Tealparadise profile image81
      Tealparadiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep, this is very true.  +1 for facts.  A recipe is not able to be "owned" by anyone.  Only your writing style and specific instructions/notes on it can be owned.

2. ContriveIT profile image60
      ContriveITposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point. I can see where it would be hard to copyright something which content is mostly made up up common ingredients that are used in many instances. Tricky subject indeed.

This is similar to the patent expiration on drugs (the point at which generics can be marketed).  BUT, it appears the site mentioned here is using complete hubs.  The one I found by Janderson even had her name and HubPages listed.  That's pretty blatant.

1. Marketing Merit profile image84
          Marketing Meritposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also saw one by Janderson in the Pizza section which is clearly a copyright breach as it had a rather substantial descriptive text.

The ehealthydietyblog site owner is a Frances Mallory of Tennessee.

They site is hosted by Cloudflare who provide an abuse form at:
          https://www.cloudflare.com/abuse/form

I would urge anyone who has their information on the site, without permission to fill this in asap.

I think the pizza hub is the one I spotted, too - it even had her name on it!!!

2. ktrapp profile image92
            ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some of the recipes on the ehealthydietblog rss feed also appear on this page (spaces added):
            http: // www. feedagg. com/feed/28632855/E-Healthy-Diet-Blog-Eat-Healthy-Food

I did a search on ehealthydietblog for the term hubpages and 10 recipes appear in results (because the word HubPages was used in the Hub by the Hubber and the copier didn't remove anything).

I identified recipes with the word hubpages in them copied from:
            janderson99 (3) as already noted
            Kelley Ward (1) - emailed her
            CMHypno (1) - emailed her
            Sinea Pies (1) - I don't see a way to email her from the fanmail page ???
            Larry Fields (1) - emailed him
            Marntzu (1) - emailed him
            EZ Gluten Free (1) emailed her
            vocalcoach (1) emailed her

10. moonlake profile image86

I clicked on this site last night to see if my soup recipe was still on there but it wasn't instead I got a list of different recipes as shown below.

Cooking With Carrots
    Brownies – The very best Brownies Recipe
    Gluten Free Vegan Alfredo Sauce And Pasta Recipe
    Best Stuffing Recipe Ever
    About Red Dragon Fruit
    Cool, Healthy Summer season Treats to the Athlete
    Homemade Pizza Toppings, Sauce, Dough, Recipes and Ideas
    Barn Owls:All-natural Rodent Control
    Easy Frozen Desserts: Ways to Make Grasshopper Ice Cream Pie (Light Recipe)
    Cookbook Assessment The Healthful Carb Diabetes Cookbook
    A Tremendous Brief

For the heck of it I clicked on Brownies some brownie recipe came up but when I clicked the back arrow in my browser there was my whole recipe with my name on it. They have a way of hiding things. I sent them an email asking them to take my recipe off and that is when this tricky stuff started happening.
    I still have not heard from the DMCA I filed maybe on Monday.

If you filed a DMCA on Monday then it has probably been removed Moonlake. You need to empty your browser cache as it is probably stored in there.
      Do that and then try searching again for your recipe.
      Best of luck!

11. Melovy profile image94
    Melovyposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. I have found one of my recipes on it.

Frustrating though it is to have to file another DMCA, I have been rolling with laughter reading the badly spun copy of my recipe. For example: 'one hundred grams of tough cheese’ (should be hard cheese) or instead of the pizzas in the recipe taking 10 minutes to cook, "they’re going to consider about 10 minutes.”
    The thought of  those pizzas “considering” in the oven for 10 minutes will keep me going while I file this DMCA!

1. ktrapp profile image92

I just found one of habee's Hubs on there too (I emailed her), but it may be funnier than what you found:

In terms of BBQ her words are "grilling, smoking, frying"
      Spun content says, "grilling, using tobacco, frying"

Omigosh - that's hilarious!  Glad you were able to alert Habee!

2. anglnwu profile image69
        anglnwuposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ktrapp, thanks for alerting me. They don't just copy recipes, they copy articles too, almost word for word with some minor changes. I wrote an email directly to ehealthy but have yet to file the DMCA.

12. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I found another hub or two of mine on the site.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't write recipes, but from what I've seen on this forum, the culprit is probably located outside of the US.  The clue was the language usage mentioned above.  It is very hard to file a DMCA for an out of country plagiarizer, but contacting Google directly (or adsense) may get the job done.  Good luck.

The ehealthydietyblog registered site owner is a Frances Mallory of Tennessee, although the location of the owner is irrelevant for the purposes of DMCA.

The location of the hosting company is the critical issue.

In this case the site is hosted by Cloudflare who are US based and provide an abuse form at:
        https://www.cloudflare.com/abuse/form

13. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

But, even checking the site gives them another bit of traffic..... what a dilemma...

1. ktrapp profile image92

They probably only earn when an ad is clicked.

2. Marketing Merit profile image84

Just don't click on any of the ads. It will reduce their CTR.

14. Pamela99 profile image87
    Pamela99posted 11 years ago

Thanks Marcy,

The article you found was almost an exact duplicate, which makes me so mad. Now I have to check other articles, which I don't have time for right now. So frustrating! I emailed the site and asked for the authors name and address. I told them I was filing a DMCA  take-down notice.

I did mention that many writers from Hubpages are having this problem with their website.

Thanks again,
    Pamela

15. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

How do you discover that someone has duplicated your hub?

Beth - to find duplicates, put a phrase from your hub into quotes, and then enter it into the search field on Google.  Your own hub will pop up, but so will any copies of it.  The quotes are the key to finding the copied content.  I try to use a phrase from within the hub that reflects my own writing style.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh! I wondered how every one kept discovering that. Interesting. Ok, thank you!

16. moonlake profile image86

My recipe has been removed I have checked over and over and can't find it now but will check again later. When you click on their site it does move it up to the top if they are on first page with your search words.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)