jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Videos on Hubpages...how do I get them back?

1. kittythedreamer profile image95
    kittythedreamerposted 4 years ago

Okay, so here's the deal. My other computer where I had my videos stored has crashed and has gone bye-bye. The videos that I've uploaded to Hubpages are only here now. How can I get them back as a file on my computer? I can't seem to figure out an easy way of doing this. Any suggestions?

1. SOE profile image89
      SOEposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Open up the video hub you want to download your video from, use firefox or chrome to view the page source, (Chrome should be right click, Firefox is Tools > Web Developer > Page Source) and use the search (ctrl f) and type in ".mp4" without quotes. The first line it takes you to should be something like "<meta itemprop="contentURL" content="http://talkies.hubpages.com/v/prod-5351-2.mp4" />" The link embedded in this line of code is a link to the video itself. 

In my case for the hub of mine I used for this example, the direct link is: "http://talkies.hubpages.com/v/prod-5351-2.mp4"

The four digits between the "prod-" and the "-2" will probably different for each video.

There are also other links with different file extensions further down, and different dashes with numbers, these are just different copies of the same video, converted to other formats or resolutions for playback on multiple device types.

You can make a temporary hub to create links out of those urls that you can then right click and save as.

kittythedreamerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is so informative and helpful. Now I just need to figure out how to save the video to my computer without being forced to download quicktime movie.

kittythedreamerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nevermind! Got it! So happy. Thanks again!

working