Copied hub that isn't, really

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (24 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

On the stats page, under copied hubs, I suddenly have one (first time ever):
    http://wilderness.hubpages.com/hub/no-b … pie-recipe   is showing up as copied here:

ht  tp://www.pearltrees.com/cloudexplorer/leftovers/id6202390

Problem; It isn't.  Not really.  This looks like some kind of link site, though I don't really care to check it out thoroughly by joining.  The "copied" part comes about because they are showing a rather long paragraph from the beginning of the hub, along with the lead in photo.  That section of the screen, where the copy is, is a link leading to the hub. 

While a very short hub could have half or more of the text copied, that isn't the case here; what is copied is nothing more than a long blurb with a backlink.  It's a recipe and there is no part of the actual recipe being shown. 

I've put this in the tech area of the forums because I'd like more guidance from HP.  I don't have a real problem leaving it as is, but neither do I have a problem filing a DMCA as it is a very long blurb.  What does HP suggest?  Presumably the automatics have picked this up and are recommending a DMCA, plus the hub itself shows a notice it is copied, but what does an HP human suggest?  Does it need a DMCA?  If not, does your programming need tweaked? 

Comments, please...

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey wilderness- it really comes down to your comfort level. You might consider contacting the site admin (if possible) and asking it to be taken down or more adequately attributed. You can certainly file a DMCA as well. You might just as well do nothing; Google is pretty good at establishing what has been published first and not penalizing one's work for being copied elsewhere. smile

wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I just noticed that the site has sent me 4 views today (of which either 1 or 2 is my own).  Given that, I'm probably OK with leaving it alone. 

As a recipe the copy is worthless, and as anything else but a picture (MFP, no less) it is even worse.

The bigger question is what about HP?  It's showing as copied - does HP care?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't see why they would?

It's duplicate, no longer unique.  I know that, but do nothing about it.

I just don't know what their take on that would be.  If I filed and nothing happened, I can't imagine HP taking offense and unpublishing or something.  That I don't even try...could be a different story that way.

At the same time, we all know there are thousands and thousands of copies out there - it is an impossibility to get rid of them all.

I just reread your OP and realised this is the first time you've had a 'copied' symbol appear on your account.

If you read the information about it, you'll see that you do NOT incur any penalty.  The symbol means HubPages has detected that someone has copied your Hub - they know it's not your fault, they just want to let you know. HP won't take any further action.

it's totally different from being tagged as duplicate, which is where your Hub has been copied FROM some other site.

1. master-space profile image65
                master-spaceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I also got the same notice on one of my hub. I do not know the reason why because i wrote the hub myself.

If you haven't put a copy out there yourself, it means that somone has stolen your work.  Copied it and published it somewhere else.

2. wilderness profile image95

Actually, it's not - I've had one with the copied symbol for over a year.  No one can find the copy. so it's some kind of glitch in the system.

But I do think you're right in that I certainly won't be penalized because someone else stole the work and, just as you say, the notice does indicate that.  Just a little concerned (not much) that if I do nothing about it HP won't be happy.  God knows that thousands of hubbers let copies lie - they don't think it's worth the effort to file a DMCA, don't care or don't know it's out there.

Thanks, Marisa.  I do think I'll let this one lie - it doesn't get much traffic, so not much loss if G penalizes me and I AM seeing a few views from the link in the copy.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I would suggest just telling hub staff and seeing if they will remove the flag.

Except that I might not catch a second copy, I don't mind the flag being there.  It reminds me to keep an eye on it, make sure that the copy doesn't suddenly grow into a full fledged duplicate rather than a paragraph.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But if the flag sits there, unaddressed, might it not lead to unpublishing or other penalties?

No, because it's not a duplicate flag, it's just the small "c" symbol which indicates that HubPages is warning you someone has copied your work.   

The message accompanying that symbol says that NO penalty is associated with it.

3. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 10 years ago

From my experience, Pearltrees is like a 'directory' with a snippet of the article - any user simply adds a URL to their pearltrees - and this shows a 'snapshot' of the original article wth a snippet from the article.

When clicking the 'pearl' you are directed to the original article.
    When sharing the pearl - anyone click the share would be directed to the pearl and subsequently to the main article if they click the pearl.

It's actually a pretty useful site that allows you to do some great grouping of articles and then associate them with similar pearltrees. I haven't really explored it to the fullest yet, but feel there is a great potential for traffic from this site!

That's the impression I got, too, Simey.  A fancy directory.

You make me wonder if I shouldn't join and stick my own work in there - I'm surely grouped heavily enough to make it useful.

1. SimeyC profile image87
        SimeyCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As I re-visit it, I suddenly that this a great way to group some of my articles together and then promote them without having to post a link to all articles - it's less invasive for my social friends. I am just testing it out on FB and Google+.

What then?  You put a post (link or whatever it's called) in the pearltree place and then link to that in FB?  Seems like a long way around for the reader...

1. SimeyC profile image87
            SimeyCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I create a new pearltree - for example I created one for video games. I then add all the hubs related to video games into that pearltree.

I would then just post a link to the pearltree. The one I recently created had something like then new hubs in it - thus I'm not spamming my friends with ten entries about video games - if they are interested then hopefully they will go to the pearltree and then to the hubs that interest them.

The other thing to note is that you can 'link' to other pearltrees so any one interested in Video Games could look at my pearltree and then see a similar pearltree and visit it - thus if you are linked to some very popular pearltrees you may get some traffic from them!

I'll have to do some more work on Pearltrees and do some proper SEO!

Sounds good.  Something I'll have to check out.

Thanks, Simey.

4. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 10 years ago

Hello folks, my name is Mike Pugh, and I am the curator of the Pearltrees location that this forum is referring to. I will assure you that this isn't a copy of your content, and as Simey C stated its a archiving website, that collects and allows us users to curate (organize) web content the way we see fit.

I'm actually not sure what caused your hub content to get flagged though Wlderness, it's actually just a screen preview of your web page that's been pearled (collected) for sharing purposes. Just as Pinterest does with image links to help users locate content using images. Instead Pearltrees provides screen previews ot the entire website for viewers to decide on wether or not they shall visit it or not. Users also can collect the pearled content and share it socially or onto their Pearltrees folder collections for a later viewing or usage in the form of sharing it once again.

Pearltrees actually acts as a bookmerking website, and allows its online users a Bookmarklet (Pearler tool) to instantly collect URL link locations using a mouse right click and pearling option, and it converts them into a visual Pearl icons for viewing purposes as well as collections, organization, sharing, web page embedding. These icons are circular in shape and they represent the webpage that the user gets to decide how they should organize, and into folders or subfolders for curation purposes.

Pearltrees is also known as a social curation website, where teams of organizers can curate content together on the same interests worldwide. This does in fact bring tons of web traffic back to the orginal site owner, blogger, video maker, hub author, content publisher etc..., and I actually been collecting content from my fellow hubbers for over a year now, and to help them gain more web traffic from viewers looking for such content to share, to view or the likes.

The most recent update of Pearltrees has created the snippet portion of the article as a preview to the web page, and isn't the actual article itself. Smiey C spoke on this and he's correct on his finding, I'm not sure why hubpages has flagged it, because there's 1,000's of Pearls I've collected and curated for my fellow hubbers (Mostly those I follow, and many of my followers) and in various subject categories of interest.

I also wrote an article about Pearltrees here for folks to learn much more about it all as well. Let me know if anyone needs more info, and Wilderness I'll locate your pearled hub location up there and remove it pronto, to alleviate the issue altogether. I just hope all the other hubs I've pearled for the last year and 9 months or so for my fellow hubbers here, won't do the same thing as what's happened to your hub here. Maybe it's a sort of glitch in the hubpages detection systems, who knows.

Cloud, I'm guessing here, but I think it's a pretty good guess.  The "snippet" that was used was probably around 250 words.  That's a pretty big snippet and is most likely what triggered the automatics here on HP.

As it was, I had no real objections; none of the actual recipe was included, just the lead in blurb for the hub, and it would have probably been effective in producing traffic for me.  However, on many of my other hubs I certainly would have objected, in the form of a DMCA.  In other circumstances I would have most definitely taken offense at that much material being copied; those 250 words are a third of the entire hub!  It's something you might keep in mind in the future.

And thanks for your prompt and courteous actions.  As I say, I had no real objections this time, but do appreciate your concern and response.

1. CloudExplorer profile image77
        CloudExplorerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you didn't have a issue with that Pearled location of yours. I actually done it to help send you some web traffic, and because I enjoyed your hub there, by the way that was a very nice recipe hub you shared with us all.

If you can please let me know if the flag you had, has gone away or not. I'm curious to find out, because I don't want this to happen again to other folks I've been pearling content and sharing for. I have no control of how my Pearltrees locations are presenting the snippet display functionality and all. Oh and thanks for the rapid response and for being so understanding.

No, it hasn't gone away yet, but then I wouldn't expect it to.  I don't know how often HP scans for duplicates, but it isn't every hour or even day.  It will likely take several days.

Not a problem to me, but I will try to keep an eye on it and let you know when it disappears.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Thanks for the response.  I joined Pearltrees ages ago and I must say, it is a very appealing site!   I'm just a bit lazy when it comes to social networking so I have never done much with it - perhaps I should.

I would agree with Wilderness, that the preview is a bit too big.  If you were quoting from my blog, a 250 word "snippet" would represent half the blog post, and that would be too much.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)