HP should disable the ability of copy/paste for our readers

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Bendo13 profile image77
    Bendo13posted 12 years ago

I've gone to many sites where the second you try to highlight text and then right click you get a little error pop up that says, "Sorry this function is disabled"... why do they do that?  To keep people from copying their text (or other content) and pasting it somewhere else as their own...

I think something like this would be very beneficial for those that have had their content stolen. And think about it, you could have it say... "Sorry, this is Copyrighted Content" and then people would not only be swayed from stealing the content (because it's harder to do) but they will see, plain as day, that the content isn't theirs to use.

I've even seen sites that allow you to right click, you can even highlight and click "copy" but when you go to paste you soon realize that nothing was copied... so there are many ways to do this and it will minimize the hassle of stolen and duplicate content.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey there Bendo. I already brought this up a couple of times a month or two ago. People were against it for some reason. Some saying it's not possible others saying those are pics and not words hence can't be copied. Others said if people want to really copy they'll go to the source code and grab the content (this is in contradiction to the picture option). I gave them the same reason as you did and the same example as well.

Then the forum went on and scripts started appearing for people to do it on their blogs but nothing for HP

2. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If someone wants to steal your content they will do so not matter what protections they put in. Simply reading your article into an iPad copies it - not as easy as copy and paste but just as damaging and effective.

There are plenty of sites that stop 'copying and pasting' but this is also disables the functionality for people that want to legitimately quote your work.

When I comment I often pull a few lines or a paragraph from the content and quote it as I comment - if I can't copy and paste then I'm unlikely to comment.

Also sometimes when I see a particularly great paragraph I'll paste it inot Facebook with a link to the main article (with the permission of the author where I do this) - again I probably won't do this if I cannot copy and paste.

Rather than trying to tackle copiers from the 'article' side - we need to get Google to do something about it - if a copied article is obvious then it should not be listed on Google...

3. lobobrandon profile image88

Hey there Bendo you see what I say smile All my options are already out here just a few scripts are missing cool

2. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

I find it funny those who are against it, they have weird thinking like "Any lock on your door is easy to crack, why lock it at first place eh?". Anyway it's waste to argue here on that point. This will be yet another thread with arguments dumped down or ignored.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

Haha I like the way you put it smile

3. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

If someone wants to copy your content they will. Disabling the ability to copy and paste wont stop scraper software or anyone peeking at your code and stripping out your content from there.

Such scripts would make it difficult for people to quote from your content and attribute you properly. This is something I do regularly if i think a page is worth linking too.

1. Sue Adams profile image96
      Sue Adamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fair enough

4. Marketing Merit profile image94
    Marketing Meritposted 12 years ago

You can normally copy any text by viewing the page source, regardless of any right click disabling script.

Unfortunately, if someone is really determined to copy your work, then they will. Even if it means typing it out word for word.

I have had several articles from my websites plagiarised. They are copied, badly spun and then submitted en masse to hundreds of article directory sites.

It's really upsetting to see your hard work destroyed in this manner but I think, for the moment at least, it is something of an occupational hazard.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, if someone is really determined to copy your work, then they will. Even if it means typing it out word for word.

This

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

This has been brought up a few times per year since HubPages first created the forums.  Don't expect any action on this anytime in the foreseeable future.  Admin themselves have pointed out how easy it is to crack copystop measures and it's clear they'd rather put their efforts into other features.

6. Cheeky Girl profile image68
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

Google has this on their ebooks. It's cool. You can't copy or paste a damn thing! It should be part of every website everywhere! I am looking to incorporate it in my own websites and blogs too! Just as long as they still get seen by bots and indexed.

1. LoriSoard profile image66
      LoriSoardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cheeky girl, let me know if you figure out how to do this. I'm tired of people stealing my hard work and trying to pass it off as their own.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is NO way to do it.

If a web browser can show it to me, I can copy it.  Period.

Yes, there are ways to make it more difficult.  Those ways would also make it more difficult for you to copy your hubs, and to edit them. 

But let's say you don't care and HP does something like this.  How long do you think it would be before somebody is offering a way to work around that?   My guess - less than a week.

7. profile image0
    paxwillposted 12 years ago

On HubPages, all you have to do to copy a hub's text is open the source code of the page and get the text from there.  The source code is plain text; you can't run any scripts that block you from right clicking, highlighting, and copying it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)