Why have multiple HubPages accounts?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Gcrhoads64 profile image90
    Gcrhoads64posted 10 years ago

I've noticed a few hubbers mention they have multiple HubPages accounts. Why? Is it helpful to have more than one account?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts. smile

1. To Start Again profile image70
      To Start Againposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes, a writer will choose to have a niche account for making money and a creative writing account just for their poems of other creative works. Some just like to have multiple accounts that each have their own style or personality, so to speak.

2. John Jason Hosac profile image58
      John Jason Hosacposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was not aware of that being a possibility. Regardless I would dare say it has to do with having different accounts for different niches. Some people like to specialize so you could have more than 1 account to focus on different things.

I suplose the idea behind specializing is to max views on your hubs. If someone is searching for something in particular they may look at more than 1 of your hubs assuming it is related. The theory also is that these people are more likely to click on ads etc.

3. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Like others are saying, it's about having accounts for other niches. I have another account, but I hardly use it, though I did at one time; it's a little bit of a waste; I established it for purposes of creative writing and more "edgy" material. This account I'm using now, NateB11, I would consider professional, "me", covering mainly two subjects, but a couple other ones also. I'm just thinking the "edgy" material account was generally a bad idea, such material generally doesn't go over well,  and doesn't get traffic. I've removed most of the faltering hubs from that account, so it's got few hubs. I've been debating on what to even do with it. Now, having said that, probably a person would want to be very clear what they want another account for; for what specific niche or purpose.

2. dailytop10 profile image86
    dailytop10posted 10 years ago

In my case, my previous account was basically a dummy where I do tests to know what kind of topics attract more readers. It is an account intended for learning and I'm also earning in the process  which makes it really worth doing.

1. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I've done that; used my other account to test the waters.

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

I have a second account in which I have hubs that do not fit the image communicated in my primary account. Also, some people who were badly hit by Panda, and found their accounts did not recover, have started afresh with new accounts so as to to attract a penalty to new material.

4. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 10 years ago

Obligatory warning: while multiple accounts on HubPages are totally allowed, people can get banned for having multiple promotional accounts, so make sure that every account you have provides useful, genuine, original information. smile

5. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

I'll admit my reasoning is sort of manipulative. Years ago when I had my first sales job I was told even if you don't like a person money is money. If you don't like rude people but they offer to buy your product, then sell it.
    This is my ME account. I say what I want, I voice my opinions, and I'm just me. The result can lead to someone who disagrees with me not reading my other work even if they are looking for the exact way to do something and I have a full length article about the same topic.
    So I have other accounts where I do not mention my religious (lack of) beliefs and I stay out of the forums.
    It's actually quite odd how the same people who will talk down to me on this account will actually read and comment on my hubs written under different accounts.

6. StitchTheDamned profile image67
    StitchTheDamnedposted 10 years ago

It may be a way of keeping things organized as well as to keep a certain look for each hubpage. If a hubber likes to write about a lot of different things, it might be easier this way. I've noticed that there are a lot of hubbers that have become experts in certain niches. I could see how they would dedicate one hub just to that niche and then have a second hubpage for their other writing.

7. yupperclub profile image60
    yupperclubposted 10 years ago

There is no need for multiple accounts...you can organize your hubs right within one account if you check out all of the features available.  Actually, it's kind of stupid.  Google, eBay, Amazon and other partners you may associate with may think you're up to something funny.  Beware "The Big Boys."

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
      mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually Google are more likely to see you as an 'expert' in your writing if you stick to one niche within your sub domain. Unfortunately for me I already had so many hubs when sub domains came in that it was impossible for me to do anything about it. For this reason (only) I write under one account here, although if there had been sub domains when I started here 5 years ago I would have created multiple accounts, one for each subject I wrote about, e.g. gardening, pet care, health etc.

Yes you can organise your articles here into groups if you want to, but only you really benefit from that, and Google, Amazon and Ebay don't see the separated groups at all. Certainly Ebay and Amazon don't really care what you do (and I don't think they even check). As for Google, they only care about the topics you write about being within their TOS, so multiple sub domains to them are no different to you having multiple websites (as tens of thousands of people do). Effectively a sub domain is a website, so if you want to have 10 or more of them all on different topics/niches, then Google won't care, and will rate niches on one specific topic higher (assuming there is quality content within them) because they infer a level of expertise on that subject. Try to have at least 20 articles on the relevant topic in each sub domain to ensure the 'expert' status, (and add more content reasonably regularly).

2. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There's absolutely nothing "stupid" or suspicious about having multiple accounts on HubPages from the point of view of Google Adsense and Amazon Associates; it is no different than having several websites and using the same ad and affiliate codes across the board.  In fact, Google Adsense prohibits people from opening several accounts.  They require you to use the same code no matter how many websites you run.  With Amz, you can create different tracking codes and all your commissions are accumulated into a single account.  Easy peasy.

The only caveat with multiple accounts on HubPages is that each account must meet the payout threshold in order for you to collect your earnings; you can't combine earnings from different accounts.  For someone who is not making very much money with their first account, it would be unwise to open a second unless the person adopts a more profitable writing strategy.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

8. socialmarketing7 profile image61
    socialmarketing7posted 10 years ago

I dont have multiple accounts and i always think that one is enough. You can always organize your hubs and contents all within one same account. Why bother another? Someone please point me in the right direction?

9. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

For me, there are two main reasons why I have several accounts (I think I have 6 or so?)

1. Because on a high profile account, I'm more likely to have content stolen by people who are too lazy to learn, and instead just want to copy. My other accounts never/rarely interact in the forums, comment etc and have less than 5 followers. So they're anonymous and easy to hide.
    2. Because of the niches - I have an account just full of question/answer hubs, one full of sales hubs etc.

10. bydojo profile image59
    bydojoposted 10 years ago

I have one account and will only use this one. I see this as a branding option too, with more names it's harder to brand myself better. Not to mention that, by organizing my hubs into categories, my readers can find what they want to read. It's also easier to track down my earnings and see how my traffic is doing, instead of splitting everything into multiple accounts.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's hard to brand oneself in general, with or without a HubPages account. You have to hold the hot iron really steady...

2. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What calculus-geometry said. In fact if you're trying to brand yourself, about the only good way is to use your real name or a pen name and JUST write in one niche. Writing in multiple niches is unlikely to get you known - and if you get Google traffic people are unlikely to CARE who you are either. Most people who visit your content once may never ever visit anything you write or own ever again.

11. Making-Jewellery profile image66
    Making-Jewelleryposted 10 years ago

I started off with a "badly chosen name", having said that it's where most of my hubs are.  My second name is where I've taken a particular hobby/interest and am writing on one specific subject.

Personally, I am finding better income/results from my "all and everything" first account though.

I think, for many people, one account is enough.  Unless you have a burning desire to write in a niche then it's not worth the hassle of managing two accounts as you've effectively got to drive traffic to two completely different places.

My first account is (today) an author score of 99 and is often a 100.  This second account is never anywhere near that (usually 84-90).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)