jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

Flashing Ads

1. aravindb1982 profile image88
    aravindb1982posted 4 years ago

I thought that flashing ads and pop-up ads would not appear on HubPafges. But I have consistently been seeing several flashing ads on my hubs and some of them are not very nice - lingerie and nightclubs - nothing related to the hub.

The recentmost one is about a numerologist Diana who will reveal one's future. It appears on this hub:

http://aravindb1982.hubpages.com/hub/Sa … i-Sai-Baba

Are such ads HubPages ads? Are they allowed?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7954156_f248.jpg

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for pointing this out, aravindb1982- these sound like ads that aren't allowed on HubPages. Should you see any more, please contact Marina directly via this channel: http://hubpages.com/help-answer/affilia … m-with-ad/

She's the one who hunts down these errant ads... and DECIMATES THEM.

2. aravindb1982 profile image88
    aravindb1982posted 4 years ago

Thanks Simone for the prompt reply.

I shall do as you say immediately! smile

Loved your choice of words - would love to see these ads DECIMATED.

1. profile image59
      alicemamaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think that a good forum for us to provide a venue for the exchange, rather than let some spam links exist. Of course, useful links are better, more convenient.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image82
      Marina Lazarevicposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi aravindb1982! I replied to your email yesterday and requested screenshots of the ads. If you're referring to the ad in your original post, I'm afraid it does not violate our ad guidelines.

By "flashing ads", I assume you mean blinking ads, or ads that use excessive animation to garner attention from readers (like this one but with animation.) Those are definitely against our policy guidelines.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the characterization of the ad you posted!

aravindb1982posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the reply Marina. The ad which I referred to does not keep blinking throughout. But as the page loads, the picture comes up and then 3-4 random numbers do flash on the ad in bright blue and green. Then, the ad becomes static. I thought that might get classified as a blinking ad.

2. aravindb1982 profile image88

Also, Marina, here is another similar ad that came today. Right in front of my eyes, it changes and shows three separate image plates with dramatic transitions. Will that not be considered a "flashing" ad? I do not know how to capture a video and so I attach a screen-shot of the ad by Dr.Batra's beauty clinic for an acne-free life which is coming for a hub on Religion and Philosophy - Supernatural experiences...

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7974446_f248.jpg

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image82

These two ads, while unattractive, do not violate our site's ad policies. The flashing and animation would need to be excessive. Google AdSense tends to not accept ads with those attributes, so it would be rare to find one on the site. If you are unhappy with an ad for whatever reason, you can report it to Google by clicking on the "Ads by Google" link in the top left corner of the ad. I'd also suggest checking out this FAQ entry for more information on how AdSense matches its ads to different pages and users.

Sorry to state the obvious, but I was a little unclear in my post above. You can only report Google ads to Google, of course! smile

Thank you Marina for the clarifications. Things are much clearer for me. I shall get back to you if I have any other doubts. smile

Thanks, Aravind!

3. paradigmsearch profile image84
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Of the well-known websites, Yahoo is the most famous for obnoxious ads. And this concludes my rant for the day. big_smile

4. grand old lady profile image91
    grand old ladyposted 4 years ago

I've been getting obnoxious ads on the Google search page and Facebook. I think I got it after I downloaded what I thought was a software that would help me out. Ever since then all these irritating things have been popping up.

That is indeed an interesting observation. Shall check it out with a computer scan though I don't think that is the problem with me here because I have a good anti-virus installed. Thank you.

working