KNOWN ISSUE: Google SERPs WMT [see http://bit.ly/10GIBdz]

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 10 years ago

I think I can see why I am not getting traffic. I did a site:"domainname:.com and the two pics below is all I can see! Is hubpages being blocked by Google?

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7988620_f248.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7988621_f248.jpg

Here is the message underneath description:
    A description for this result is not available because of this site's robots.txt – learn more.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's too small for me to read.  But, if you search:  site:hubpages.com, Google returns over 2 million pages.  (I don't know whose idea it was to index the whole darn forum, but that's a real waste of GoogleBot time on the site.  There's such a thing as 'crawl priority' - i.e., if the forum were off limits to search engines, Hubs would be crawled more frequently and given a higher status.)

Michael Willisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Any time I have used this method to search for hubs, all my hubs came up first. Second would be questions. I never saw my forum threads or posts show up before.

2. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My apologies about this, Michael Willis- I imagine it might be related to a known bug we're working on. i'm moving this to the Technical Problems Forum and asking Matt (who is more in the loop on those issues) to stop by and see if he might provide more information.

Thank you Simone. Hope you had a good weekend.

3. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I had a drastic drop in traffic yesterday and wondered why. Traffic has picked up again today though.

4. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is related to the known and ongoing issue that is affecting Google WMT verification and Authorship not showing for the sub-domain URL. 
      This is related to how Google is choosing to index and display the information we present to them.

You can find info about the other symptoms of this broader problem in these other forum threads.

KNOWN ISSUE: Some Hubs don't show in G WMT
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112471#post2394653

KNOWN ISSUE: Authorship for subdomain only
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/111275#post2368074

Pages not indexed and 'topics' showing in SERPS, rather than subdomain
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112639

5. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just wanted to give an update.
      I have created a top-level thread for all the related issues.
      Please see it for updates.

KNOWN ISSUE: Google SERPS affecting authorship display and WMT
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112722
      http://bit.ly/10GIBdz

2. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Google is showing you personalized results.  You have to use an encrypted browser that doesn't tell Google who you are.  Google has one:
    https://encrypted.google.com/

Search from that and you will get the results other searchers see.

It's a really bad idea to have forum stuff and questions indexed by Google, in my opinion, and when animals rule the world I will change that.

I agree with you about forum posts especially. I see no use to index them.

2. Michael Willis profile image67

I used the encrypted google to check my pages with the site:domainname.....and got the exact same results.

1. Nomascus concolor profile image60
        Nomascus concolorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree about the forum. Michael Willis, I check the traffic after seeing your post and it seems to be the same for me... not really sure why though. Hopefully this is just temporary.

3. Writer Fox profile image31

I searched and got 44 results (clicking on 'omitted results', too):
    your domain Profile page
    Dallas Cowboys Football Schedule
    How do you make creamy Vodka sauce - Question
    Pityriasis Tinea Versicolor
    Do you treat people with a skin disease differently - Question
    Hamburger Helper
    site map – (This is what HubPages sends to Google to tell it what to index on your subdomain)
    Beautiful, hot, sexy, desirable woman
    35 pages that are blocked to Google

So, that looks like maybe four Hubs and your Profile page shows 14.  Are you allowing non-featured Hubs to show on your Profile page? (You have the option to allow this, or not.)

If all of your Hubs should be featured, go in to your Webmaster Tools account and under the help menu on the left, click on "Fetch as GoogleBot."  If Google can't get to your Hub, there will be an option to "Add URL." And, that is what you must do.

It is a mistake to allow brand new Hubs to appear on a Profile before they are featured Hubs because if Google finds them before they are featured, Google will find that it is blocked and may be a very long time in coming back.

All 14 hubs are featured. My average hub score is 87. I have no unfeatured hubs.

4. Writer Fox profile image31

So, go to your Webmaster Tools and find out what the problem is.

# 1WMTools says site was not verified. HP has had problems with this recently. I did verify again.
      #2---Crawl errors on all hubs show as 410. "does not exist or has moved."

5. Writer Fox profile image31

OK.  So, you have to resubmit the URLs to Google from Webmaster tools.  It can take several hours if GoogleBot is ramming itself against a previous NoIndex tag.  Check your hubs (view/source) to make sure that they don't have the NoIndex tag right now.  Then, after GoogleBot tells you it cannot find the URL, it will provide a place to resubmit the URL.  Then, you do that and it should return a "URL found" and you'll be back on the radar.

Do you remember what I just posted about not allowing new Hubs to appear on your Profile page before they were indexed.  Well, I have my settings for my Profile that way and, guess what?  I published a new Hub a few hours ago and it's on my Profile page, so the same thing you are experiencing is about to happen to me.

I sent an email to HubPages just now to say that my Profile settings aren't working, but if this is what is happening to everyone, that could explain a lot. Google should never find a NoIndex on a new Hub.  It takes a long time to undue that damage. (Just my luck, my new Hub is about Father's Day and there's no time to spare for that topic!)

Your Father's Day hub is a good reason that the no-index should Not be added by HP on hubs that are seasonal if submitted close or at the season written for.
      I have not published a new hub in a very long time. I stopped when all sort of experiments started with our hubs. lol
      I have read about hubbers suffering major traffic loss and then I found this with my hubs. Wondering if others may have the same issue!?!?
      I also have read about the New Algo by Google and it being a big issue. Seem we always take a huge hit here at HP, whether deserved or not by individual domains.
      I have had Google to crawl my hubs at least daily or sometimes twice a day for more than 6 months, until this event. The longest I have found so far today is at 2 days on a hub, some 4 or 6 hours ago.

1. Cardisa profile image88
        Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Michael, have you checked back to see if any changes? I did a check of my hubs and am getting my hubs showing up in Google.

Nothing haw changed. I just checked again.

6. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years ago

Featured hubs may not show up when you do a site: search because google has chosen to index a lot of Urls on hubpages.com.  If the URL is featured, try a site search without the subdomain.

7. crankalicious profile image88
    crankaliciousposted 10 years ago

Last week was finals week for most colleges and Universities. My traffic started dropping in direct correlation to when finals started and hit bottom when it ended. Most college students, who spend a lot of time online, are travelling are finding summer jobs or just out and about and not in school anymore. This has got to be one of the main reasons for the traffic drop.

8. MuellerWordsmith profile image61
    MuellerWordsmithposted 10 years ago

It isn't just Hubpages, its any public driven media whatsoever. Google is now heavily biased towards all forms of large corporate media. Slowly but surely they are turning the internet into a gated garden instead of an egalitarian house of ideas.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)