What Does It Mean to Be Featured?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. xpressrite profile image59
    xpressriteposted 11 years ago

So hubbers help?   I had four hubs that went from the pending state to  having the featured status.   Originally they were all  viewed on the page where you can hop hubs.
    Now I dont no where they are?   What does that mean?    They all appear on  my profile page however.   I have read the learning center, but I'm missing something I think.  What is the difference between featured and published???  Or if they are featured HOW DO I SEE THEM OR PULL THEM UP.  I've checked the featured page but cant find them.  Is it that I keep going to the 1st page on Featured Hubs and I should be going to the End??? Thanks before hand for any help!!!

xpressriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Paradigmsearch, (lover of life)

Yay!!!  I do exist.....    I have not got a lot of replies from anyone.  I am new to this as I'm sure you can tell.  But Im starting to feel like an enigma or that I am not connecting. Probably the way I am going about it alll.......    Thanks  But I see tons of hubs on the featured page.  Why are my articles only on my profile page.  Is there a difference?   Sorry---I'm really trying to figure this out.  i JUST LOVE TO WRITE.  That is the easy part.... But then what???????  Tech challenged.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually.... What is the featured page? Please post link.  If I'm not there, then it's time to poke HP with a stick. lol

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I assume you mean the home page when you say "the featured page".   The Hubs there are hand-picked and there's only a few of them.  That's not what Featured means.

Featured and not featured is a bit like public and private.  If a Hub is Featured, people can find it on Google. If a Hub is not featured, then it's only visible to members of HubPages, and anyone you give the link to.  It makes no difference to where your Hubs appear on HubPages.

People don't find your Hub by browsing randomly around HubPages.  They find them because they use the search box to look for Hubs on a particular topic, or because they see your Hub in the "related Hubs" section of another Hub, or in their feed, or because they see your name in a comment and click on it to see what you write. 

The way to get your Hubs noticed within HubPages is to get to know other Hubbers.  Join in the forums, go and leave meaningful comments on other Hubs, search for Hubs on your favourite topics and follow writers you admire.

You can find and open your Hubs on your "my account" page.

1. Sheri Faye profile image79
        Sheri Fayeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very helpful...I am a newbie and was wondering the same thing.  Thanks!

3. sosown profile image50
      sosownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi I am new to the hubpages and have the exact same question.  Did you find the answer, if so can you share it with me-whats the difference between unpublished and featured.  Should I take it off if it was marked unpublished?  Also, what's the number mean that appears in everyone's pictured profile?  Thanks

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

First up, why not read the replies to the original poster?   They answer your question.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I also love life. big_smile

The biggie with "featured" is that your hubs are thrown at the search engines for indexing. That is a good thing.

3. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

Hello, not sure how much you have discovered here, so forgive me if I state the obvious.

The my account  - your stats. page (under your name the drop down has that and your profile link) has lots of info on your hubs and it is where you can see your earnings and other information. At the foot of the page are explanations of the icons you might see there.

I do think if I was new here I would be feeling a bit confused about where everything was and how it all worked, the site  has got more complex since the days when I signed up. Even the Learning Center is like a library now to cover all the information. You will find it all falls into place in time.

Featured is good for your hubs, you need the H beside the hubs for them to be able to be discovered by the search engines when they do their thing. That is also a recent change here too.

To edit a hub go to the hub and use the icons on the top of the page. You will find additional stats. there that are for that page and they are useful. Eventually you will be able to see some of the search terms that are being used to find your page.

Eventually it is worth setting up Google Analytics to track what is happening on your pages.
    Good luck with your writing.

What if is says.....no hubs found.  I set the filter for a topic, publishes, and text??????   You are great to help me by the way..

2. xpressrite profile image59

2uesday....You are awesome.  Not to mention patient.  So I have one up.  It say   71    but only 26 views in 3 day.  I have two others similar.   Where are they at?  How come I can only find on profile page.
      And 70 seems good.....but not if I need it to be    200 or something???

4. xpressrite profile image59
    xpressriteposted 11 years ago

You are AWESOME.    THANKS!  THANKS! THANKS111

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Paradigmsearch is non-plussed... That is not unusual...

Oh WoW  I looked at your profile page..,
      Im impressed.  And definitely  NOT non-plussed.  Maybe one day
      after I stop asking dumb questions on here smile    Thanks so much

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am willing to dialogue.

6. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

Hi again, do not worry too much about the numbers - Hubscore and Hubber profile score if you need an explanation it is here in the Learning Center  http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubs … bber-score
    I have never understood exactly how they are calculated.

7. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Don't forget that we have helpful guides on these subjects on our site already! big_smile

Allow me to point you to:

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Featured-Hubs
    http://hubpages.com/faq/#Featured (and the FAQs below it)

8. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Basically,

Featured = your hub is found if someone searches on the right terms in the on-site search and is also found in searches on Google and other search engines. It is therefore in the normal status one expects when publishing a piece online.

Non-featured: in HP double speak "normal" status, in old HP speak "idled" status, means your hub is effectively censored from the world. It does not appear in HP search results nor in search engine results. The only people who will ever see it will be those who click on a direct link to the hub, which you have placed somewhere. In other words, your article has been slapped out of existence and has no earning potential whatsoever.

9. shampa sadhya profile image76
    shampa sadhyaposted 11 years ago

Suppose once a hub becomes idle and after some changes if it gets the featured status then in that case does Google reindexes it immediately or after a long time?
    I am asking this question because have noticed that the hubs which loose the featured status still remain indexed in Google but the moment the idled hub is edited and becomes refeatured takes a very long time to be reindexed by Google. Any suggestion to make the reindexing a bit faster?

10. LCDWriter profile image91
    LCDWriterposted 11 years ago

From what I understand it can take awhile.  It depends on when the bots come back by.  You can check this by choosing stats/search.  That shows the last time google and bing came by the hub.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)