Why the low eBay earnings?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

I've earned only $3.11 since I set up the eBay program, in contrast with a couple hundred from the Adsense program during the same timeframe. (1) is something set up wrong somewhere? If not, (2) can I opt-out of the eBay program, leaving the old EBay space free to hold Adsense content? (Or does it not work that way?)

1. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ebay earnings were based on quality traffic sent to them through our links but even that is diluted now because it has become part of the HP Ad program to help those that could not get into the Ebay program.

If you have or were a member prior to joining Hubpages, you might notice that the earnings are much better when sent from your own sites where you do not have to share with thousands of other members.

You do not have to place ebay modules in your hubs... if you feel you earn better with Amazon then just use Amazon.

2. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are you using eBay Capsules in your Hub, Laura Schneider? You aren't going to earn anything (via HubPages) through the program if you do not feature eBay products. Same goes for Amazon.
      While AdSense and HubPages Ads show up on their own, it is up to Hubbers to determine when and how they feature Amazon and eBay products.

Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, all this time I never understood that because of the way the earnings page is set up. This is where my misunderstanding occurred, though I get it now (I think):

There is a top group and a bottom group shown on the page in boxes:

There are two programs: one that we don’t control (HubPages or whomever handles this). This is called the HubPages Earnings Program Settings. Within this program, there are two programs:
        1)    the (Google) Ad Program and the
        2)    eBay Program

The other program box is something we hubbers have control over: The External Affiliate Settings program. Within this program are also two programs:
        1)    Google AdSense and
        2)    Amazon

However, it's then very confusing because we can add ebay and Amazon content capsules to our hubs. That’s the part we have control over. (But not Google Adsense).

Hopefully my description makes sense. It's like the programs are defined/described/implemented 3 different ways in the three different areas: in the editing tool capsules, in the top boxed group, and in the bottom boxed group. This, then, makes descriptions in the instructions for how to set things up really confusing. I thought that eBay ads, just like Google ads, were being served to my pages by HubPages software all this time and that I could add more eBay ads if I wanted to include that capsule and I could also add Amazon capsules, but I couldn't add Google ads (no capsule for it).

Can they find a way to redesign that earnings page to box related items together and then update the docs to indicate how to set things up? Also, a clarification on why Google Adsense doesn't have a capsule to add whereas Amazon and eBay do would really help!

If I'm not making sense, please let me know, too. :-) (I plead hunger--past dinner time for me.)

Thanks again, Simone! (P.S. You can just call me Laura, unless we get two Lauras in the same discussion on the page.  :-) )

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you're still confused.

As a Hubber, you have no control over what Adsense and HP Ads programs appear on your Hubs. All you can do is make sure you split your text over several capsules, so the automatic system can optimise the location of those ads.

eBay is also part of the HP Earnings program (not the HP Ads program).  However, you can't earn anything on the eBay program unless you add eBay capsules to your Hubs, in the same way that you add Amazon capsules.

Thanks, Marissa, the lightbulb finally came on in this old brain! Your explanation helped a ton!! Hopefully they can get the explanations/tutorials laid out a little more clearly.

Indeed, I encapsulate almost every major paragraph, or at least every section, in my articles to allow them room to place ads on my articles: that's definitely a big key I've learned!

Thanks again for your help!

2. profile image50
    olivia13posted 10 years ago

yeah there should be something done about that.

3. las81071 profile image61
    las81071posted 10 years ago

I have not earning anything on ebay and just a few cents with adsense? What am I doing wrong?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you are not already on the HP ads program, I'd give that a shot. smile

4. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

when i started to register HP earning, I registered Ebay too. Some of my hubs, i do add in ebay capsules but never had a single click nor sale from ebay. At least, i had earned 81 cents from Amazon for the past 3 years. Still, i can't figure out why no click from ebay.

I've all but given up on adding links to Amazon and eBay since they bring so little revenue compared with the targeted ads that the Google programs bring in. However they work their magic, it's GOOD magic: those folks at Google and Hub Pages are geniuses!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Laura, I had a look at one of your Hubs on pet brushes and I think your problem is your placement of the ads.

It doesn't work to randomly sprinkle your Hub with Amazon or eBay ads.  You need to place them carefully, next to a paragraph that draws attention to the product.  With the pet brushes, I would've placed one of the Amazon  capsules right at the top of the Hub, in case the reader is ready to buy as soon as they arrive at the Hub.   I certainly wouldn't hold off until two-thirds of the way down.

Marisa--

Thanks for looking into this further!!

That's actually where I originally placed the ad when laying out the capsules, but other adds screwed up the formatting and the ad I'd placed got moved around. I've removed almost all of my ads since they aren't staying in place or making me any money anyway. I just thought that's how it worked--your ads could be bumped by adsense/HP at any time. In any case, I'm fine with the way it currently is and I'll probably try experimenting more with placing specific ad capsules since we've had this discussion. :-) Thanks again!

--Laura

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)