jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

is there a way to have links open in a new window?

1. theluckywriter profile image75
    theluckywriterposted 4 years ago

I've tried to do this with html, but it gets "cleaned up" and removed. Having links open in a new window is just good online business. It lets you send your readers to useful resources without sending them away from your site.

Anyone know if this can be done on hubpages?

Thanks!

1. Ceres Schwarz profile image12
      Ceres Schwarzposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You can do this in HubPages. I learned how by reading this hub entitled "Readers-Keep Them On Your Page" by Sinea Pies. This hub has all the instructions on what to do.

Basically, what you do is add this - target="_blank" - after inserting the URL and the link should open in a new tab. So it should look something like this in HTML: <a href="http://username.hubpages.com/hub/hub-title-here" target="_blank"> .

2. Marketing Merit profile image88
    Marketing Meritposted 4 years ago

I don't know how to do that on HP but it is something that infuriates me as well. 
    When clicking on links in forum's etc. and trying to follow a thread, unless you right click the link to open in a new tab, the original thread is lost.
    It is such a simple thing to correct and I am totally bemused that a site such as HP hasn't cottoned on to this a long time ago!

theluckywriterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Agreed! For any site that depends on ad revenue, it seems that it should be automatic!

1. NateB11 profile image93
        NateB11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree. It has kind of bothered me for awhile that links don't open in a new window and that there's no option to make it so. Does seem counter-productive.

3. PHILLYDREAMER profile image84
    PHILLYDREAMERposted 4 years ago

I use Multi Links for Firefox.  Its a plug in that allows you to open multiple links in seperate windows all at once, but it's helpful for this purpose as well.

I'm not worried about being able to open in separate windows myself. That's easy enough for me to do. I'm more concerned about not sending my readers away from my site before they've finished reading!

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
        Millionaire Tipsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Remember though, that if they have to hit the back button to come back, that is another ad impression!

Except that you're assuming they'll hit the back button. Readers often click from link to link and get lost down the rabbit hole.

2. Marketing Merit profile image88
          Marketing Meritposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If it's from the same IP and within a short period of time I don't believe that it does count as another ad impression to be honest.

I tend to agree with Theluckywriter that readers 'get lost.'

On my own sites, I always use target="_blank." I just wasn't aware that you could insert the same code on HP. I had always assumed that it would be stripped out. You live and learn I guess!

4. gts68 profile image60
    gts68posted 4 years ago

If you write your article in Word and insert your links before cutting and pasting, it can be done. When the hyperlink box comes up, click 'target frame' then choose 'new window' from drop down menu.

I'll try this! Thanks!

2. NateB11 profile image93
      NateB11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've been wanting to know how to do this for a long time. Thanks!

5. paiva25 profile image82
    paiva25posted 4 years ago

Click the html link in the text capsule and add target="_blank" into your link. That should solve your problem.

PERFECT! Thanks so much! I was omitting the underscore before blank (the way I normally do when working with html), and it kept getting "cleaned up" and removed from my html. This tip works perfectly.

working