I found my articles somewhere else

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (26 posts)
  1. peachpurple profile image84
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

I found my popular hubs at these sites:
    http://www.yourwebsite.com/peachpurple.hubpages.com/
    http://motivationalwallpaper.org/motiva … -know.html

It seems that in order to get to my hub, viewers had to go thru the advertisement pages and download the page. It still doesn't go direct to my HP link. Are these people stealing my hubs? What should I do?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure, but it looks like ww w.your website. com has "stolen" the entire HubPages domain/website. I think maybe HP should look into this...? What with the internet being the internet, probably can't get the site shut down. But at least HP can make damn sure all the search engines know about it, so that the w ww.your website. com site will be ranked dead last for all keywords.

I'll let someone else check to see if that second "motivedotwallpaper" site is doing the same thing... Probably is.

And are there others that HP needs to find, and then notify the search engines about?

Postscript. Now I know probably why one certain hub of mine has lost 80% of its traffic. And I'm now starting to wonder about a few others. Multiply that sitewide and guess what? HP, you are being robbed blind I think. Am I wrong about something here, or is this for real?

2. profile image0
      Christy Kirwanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi peachpurple,

It looks like the sites aren't using AdSense, so there isn't really anything HubPages can do by way of contacting Google. But we do strongly recommend you File a DMCA Complaint for your copied Hubs.

This is not the usual copied-hubs scenario... HP's entire site appears "stolen". Or are my two previous posts (with recommendations) wrong? If my two previous posts are wrong, I'd be fine with that. I just want to know one way or the other. smile

1. profile image0
          Christy Kirwanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The sites show screen shots of Hubs, which will not trigger Google's duplicate content filters (because they are images), but filing a DMCA complaint for the stolen Hubs is still the only way to proceed here.

3. myefforts profile image69
      myeffortsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some websites use a tool that does not allow copying text from there. Can we use the same here on hub pages. This would restrict the user copy text from the hubs. I think this would definitely discourage those are copying text from here to make it their own.

1. Marketing Merit profile image83
        Marketing Meritposted 11 years agoin reply to this

These sites use an automatic process, typically, cron jobs, that scrape content from the feed. It is not a manual 'copy and paste' activity.
        You can 'right click' disable with a couple of lines of code but this can be over-ridden by viewing the 'page source' and hence, is of little benefit. It is certainly of no use to these types of auto-blogs.

2. watergeek profile image97
    watergeekposted 11 years ago

This looks like a search engine of some sort. My hubs show up there too, but with the full address and a written response that refers the viewer to my hubpages address.

That little iframe(?) box, surrounded by ads, is "stealing" all of HP's  keywords' SERP placements for the entire HubPages website. Now as long as the search engines are aware of this and rank the sites that do this accordingly, then all is well. But are they?

Personally I'd like a calming post on this thread from HP stating they are fully aware of all this and either that:

A. It is not a problem. All search engines are already aware and ranking all the sites that do this accordingly.

or

B. Yes, it is a problem; and they are working on it.

At which point, I will return to my nap. big_smile

3. Muttface profile image80
    Muttfaceposted 11 years ago

Just checked the motivationalwallpaper one and my profile page appears. Then I typed in 10 random hubbers' names and their articles and profile pages pop up too. Clicking on any of the titles just leads to an ad. It's not just Hubpages, they are also using Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn and many news articles to get people to click onto the ad.
    I've never filed a DMCA before, but would like to know is it considered theft since they haven't actually stolen the hubs?

4. jlpark profile image76
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

Motivational wallpapers does appear to have scraped the whole site - I looked up my name just to see - its got my answers to questions as well. Surely hubpages would be in their rights to complain.

5. Marketing Merit profile image83
    Marketing Meritposted 11 years ago

At the risk of infuriating everyone, what they have done at the motivationalwallpaper site is quite clever in terms of bypassing DMCA. Another scraper site, it is essentially a list of links. The volume of text hosted, from any individual article, is insufficient, in my humble opinion, to warrant a successful DMCA to Google, assuming the article is indexed in the first place.

Income is generated via Adfly. This is probably your best course of action for a complaint, although it may not be against their terms of service.

peachpurpleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So what do these sites earn money?

6. dewahoki profile image60
    dewahokiposted 11 years ago

nice.....

7. tamron profile image66
    tamronposted 11 years ago

You can request to remove your domain at the bottom of website.  It looks very similar to a site you can submit blogs on.

My domain is on the site as well.  I don't see any problem if anything this site helps people find you.  Google cannot do anything about screenshots that are thumbnails.

I personally don't have a problem with my domain on the website.

1. watergeek profile image97
      watergeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But can people find us from that website? If Muttface's experience in an indication, then "our" links are just leading to ads, not to our hubs.

1. Lifefusion profile image81
        Lifefusionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

the ones I click on lead strait to hubpages. I don't feel like the sites like this are harming me is harming me. My hubs show up far before their webpage on all keywords I have checked. I agree with tamron.

2. peachpurple profile image84

Does your traffic increase or decrease?

8. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I have likewise come to the conclusion that these websites are no big deal. As others have stated, I suspect that the search engines already rank them near the bottom of the heap.

These are collections of articles around the Web that support the ads these websites are showing. I looked up my hub name in their search box and found a number of my hubs on it. Clicking on the link took me directly to my hubs. So these are actually referral sites for us and act as backlinks . . . which we want, don't we? I'm pretty cool with this.

I generally agree now.

Darned interesting as a matter of fact. When this thread first started, I am reasonably certain that direct links to our hubs were NOT provided. Now they are. Conclusion, one never knows who reads these threads. To whom it may concern; welcome aboard, live long and prosper.smile

1. Muttface profile image80
          Muttfaceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mine aren't, I keep getting the ads.
          Boo hoo.

ok. It's the first one that's linked to HP, the second gives ads only. AND my computer won't go there. It says there are too many redirects. Interesting.

1. Muttface profile image80
              Muttfaceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes, I see it now. 
              Have you noticed the stars, the ratings and the views attached to each hub? These figures seem to have been conjured up out of a witch's cauldron.

9. ossmedia profile image59
    ossmediaposted 11 years ago

You should complain the DMCA for such duplicate issue of your content.

Does making a complain with DMCA involve with Microsoft?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)