Why do so many believe *Everything* they hear?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 10 years ago

I would like to begin this discussion with, "why do so many believe everything they hear"?
    I just finished reading about how Obamacare is forcing folks to have a chip installed into their bodies! This is so not true! There is no chip, folks! Just as whomever the culprit that started this rumor is nothing but a liar! Should you wish to know the truth about anything and not just a rumor or a flat out lie, One may consider doing research! Before you go and say something or write something for the world to see. Maybe this is one of the reasons; my hubs are more of a personal/inspirational value type tone to them. Yet, I have been inspired to go and research about theses *chips* they are called RFID chips.

My question to you is this; it has two parts to it.

1.)    Why do so many believe everything they hear?
    2.)    Why don’t so many believe everything they feel?

My mother told me this saying when I would be so gullible in believing anything that went through my ears and registered in my brain. 

“Believe half of what you hear, very little what you see, and *EVERYTHING* you Feel!”
    So, to finish up the second question, How do you think your life would change if you followed this advice? Would it change for better or worse? 

Please keep this respectful of others, and let's stay on topic? Thank you so much for spending time with considering your thoughtful responses.

Shalom
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8180120_f248.jpg

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, what an interesting viewpoint. I was in full agreement with you up until the point where you said we should agree with everything we feel. I was always of the viewpoint that emotions are fickle things and although they should never be ignored, they should be scrutinized as they are not always a reliable measure or reflection of truth.

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good heavens, Beth. Next, you'll be complaining when we lynch people who look at us wrong.

1. profile image0

Is that how things are done in England? If I'd have known that, I would have moved there ages ago.

Well, the quality people can look at you how they like, of course. But street urchins, strumpets and writers you can string up for a smirk.

1. profile image0

But I've seen My Fair Lady... that street urchin could be Audrey Hepburn in disguise. If you'd only take the time to take one into your home, you might find you have an amazing opportunity at your fingertips. Im sure your wife would understand.

2. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
        Jo_Goldsmith11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello Beth!
        I happen to enjoy watching  My Fair Lady, it was a rather good movie.  smile
        OKay..so I lost you in the message somwhere between  "emotions*and    reasoning, huh?  Well, My point is this. When you are stressed out and yet  part of you feels calm,   like everything is going to work out.    Should or shouldn't  we  accept those feelings of the latter?  When some one should tell you   "everything is going to work out", and we  *see* the same type of situation did in fact work out with a positive outcome. Should we have went  with our feeling of calm, seeing the calm that someone experienced or do we use our intellect?  Thank you  for your response. smile

2. HollieT profile image82
      HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes people believe what they want to believe- they will see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. I'm pretty much guided by instinct, the analysis for me is separating what I feel from instincts. There is a difference. On top of this, I also like to fact check.

Very good point Hollie. smile   How does one arrive at the conclusion to either believe, see or feel as a method of process?   Appreciate your response!

1. HollieT profile image82

Well that's a difficult one, isn't it? For me personally, instinct is something which nags at me, at the back of mind. Something telling me that what I am seeing or hearing isn't *all* even when it *appears* to be. The old expression "there's more to this than meets the eye" feels quite apt here.

Perhaps some people have developed a higher degree of instinct than others. Or perhaps they have just learnt to trust their instincts more than other people do. My instincts are correct, usually. I think that's how I've come to feeling (instinct) as a method of process, because this method doesn't let me down. I trust myself.

3. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

People seem to believe everything that comes from an authoritative source.  By feelings, I assume you mean intuition.  Many times, I can tell that something is not right when listening to official statements.  The level of propaganda being dispensed to the public is unbelievable.  I think it is automatically assumed that the people will believe any BS that is told to them.

Yes, I agree with that. The mass media treat us all like a bunch of buffoons. Yet, it appears that they are the baffoons because levels of education are higher and many (although not all) are far more critical than they used to be when it comes to the information and news that they consume.

I don't really mean the same things when it comes to intuition and feelings. For example, there are particular UK newspapers which make me really angry (my feelings) when it comes to their commentary, history and ownership. I always envisage them (because they frequently do) further the agenda of their paymasters and other distasteful characters. So, sometimes, I have to consciously disregard my bias (my feelings)  to read the information without disregarding it before actually reading it. Sometimes, they are gems, and I would have missed out if I hadn't taken the time to read them.

2. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60

Reality Bytes,
        Why do you think the people who are in authority feel they have to control any given situation? And  what is your opinion on those who have authority their process to accept what is being said, based on experience or intution?
        Thank you for your thoughts, you are so very much appreciated!   smile

1. Reality Bytes profile image75

As far as microchips go, they are very real, they are currently voluntary.  I do not know if it is nationwide, but it occurs in Massachusetts.  We refused to allow our grandchildren to have chips implanted.  It was not put to us as a question however.  The nurse just told us that they were going to install it.  Luckily my wife was in the room and refused.  They use fear to scare young moms into agreement.

I believe that those that control media use both sides to reach a certain agenda.  Fear in one direction and fear of the other.  In this way they are able to easily push through the decision they desire.  It appears to be the middle ground.  So it is accepted without question.

Fear of guns.  Fear of gun confiscation.  We get the regulations that those with authority desire all along.  By dividing the population, they can assume the role of great compromisers.

OMG!  This was not something I wanted to hear. There is no way I am getting a chip implanted in me! No how, No way!  As far as my children/grandchildren, I will be praying alot harder and more often that they never get one either. It would figure that evil people like to use *fear* as a way to control those they normally couldn't control. Thank you for sharing. Protection/Prayers and Blessings my friend.

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's odd.
      My Dad always told me
      "Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see."
      He meant to weigh everything before believing it.
      I would put feelings in that category too;  those need to be weighed, balanced out.

Hello Brenda,
        My dad said the same thing as  well. He also believed actions spoke louder than words, too. The reasoning for me to start this thread, is because sometimes we hear so much in our personal life  and via the media buzz.
        So in this case (media) shouldn't it be best to be cautious of what you see and hear, and trust  the instinct or emotional response to what is being processed?  Example. The chatter is obama care is going to force those who receive it, a chip. My research pointed  for this to be false. I felt like it was another propaganda started by some Obama hater, and now it is creating more feelings of fear. So, should we be afraid of something like this we hear? Or should we believe everything (source) wise that contradicts this to be a false fear? And should I listen to my feeling that this is just more B.S.?

Thank you for your response. Wishing you the very best. smile

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is hard to know what to believe these days!
          While I agree that it's possible that the chip idea may not be true (or could be!)..........the fact is that one of the points of Obamacare is to force people to go by its rules or pay a fine, and that's not right, nor even Constitutional from what I see, even though the Supreme Court ruled that it is.   
          I think the sad part is that we now have to weigh out even what the highest Court in the land says,  when we really should be able to depend upon that entity to do what's right.
          Obamacare is such a huge intricate mess of legislation that even the people who made it up don't know what all is involved in it.
          Apparently,  our parents were right in telling us to weigh things out.  That, at least, is good.

2. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

I feel slightly bad about wrecking this thread (although only very slightly since it obviously has no place here) so I am going to backtrack, rewind past the urchins and the lynchings and come out to the difficult to defend philosophical position that you should only trust what you feel.

There. A pristine topic.

p.s. my wife would kill Audrey without hesitation. She definitely takes directions from her feelings...

1. profile image0

Audrey's already dead. Your wife must be ruthless.

2. Reality Bytes profile image75

Why does this thread have no place here?

Because you say so, are you now the HP forum patrol?

4.What are the Forum rules?

We ask that all Hubbers choosing to participate adhere to these guidelines, in order to maintain the kind of resource everyone will love using and feel comfortable participating in:

•Stick to the Topic: Please stay on the thread’s topic when replying to an existing thread. If you don’t see an open thread about something you’d like to discuss, please open a new thread.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#forums-rules

But, being a superior member, the rules do not count for you, right?    Why don't you just start your own threads instead of disrespecting the threads of others?

1. profile image0

How does one become a superior member?

It occurs in one's own mind!

1. profile image0

Ahh. I kind of enjoy it when ppl go off track for a minute or two... it's more like a real life conversation where humor or seriousness is interjected. Someone (as Hollie did) always comes around and brings things back to the original subject. A couple of jokes, no harm, no foul.

Although there is no limit to the number of threads that a member can initiate, you believe it is polite community behavior to consistently hijack the threads of others?  It is disrespectful forum behavior and against the TOS.  As much as you may find it titillating, many of us just see it as discourteous.

1. profile image0

Not to be disrespectful, but I wonder if your reprimand could be considered a form of "hijacking". Luckily Hollie is incredibly skillful at keeping things on track. Thank you Hollie. I will make a hasty exit now. smile

Don't go Beth, lets just get things back on track. smile

1. profile image0

Ppl are interesting. There are those who are controlling, and there are those who hate to be controlled. There is probably a very fine line between the two, both are trying to be comfortable in their environment... I don't want to make RB uncomfortable on this thread, but I've never been comfortable within such strict perimeters, so the best I can do is bow out... not a big deal. Interestingly enough this probably could be fit into the "emotional aspect" of this thread if we tried hard enough. wink

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Obamacare and microchips! I can feel Sir Topham Hatt coming on...

1. profile image0

I can't talk to you anymore.

Reality Bites is a very serious young man. And he is half eagle, so I don't think it will do any good to whisper.

Better just stop.

Hollie has a good point, though. There was definitely a bit of brain poking out earlier...

4. jessyk profile image67
    jessykposted 10 years ago

Sometimes it's better to trust people than not trusting anyone

And sometimes, it's better to earn the trust of someone as everyone should wish to earn your trust.  I don't know about "sometimes it's better to  *trust* people than not trust anyone".  I have been burned so many times because I have *trusted* because I "assumed" they were honest and their feelings and beliefs were in line with my own. All they were doing is *probing* to see what a *sucker* I was, just then to "repeat" everything they knew I wanted or wished to hear.  Emotions, reasoning, instinct is a difficult task to master.
      I go by my instinct first, rationale second, then I chew on it for a little, and then make a decision. This has seemed to work out better for me, in my personal/professional life.  Thank you for your response. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)