Featured Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (26 posts)
  1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

My two cents on the featured hubs categories. Although I am not a big fan of featured/not featured categories, I must admit that I have 560 hubs and  all of them are featured. Every single hub that I have written using the new HP templates becomes featured. Perhaps others who may be struggling with getting their hubs featured would like to give these templates a shot as they seem to be working quite well, at least in my case.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have 122 hubs, all of which are featured.  I do not use the templates per se, but like them as reminders about what I need to include.  I have had no problems with non featured hubs these past several weeks.

2. B. Leekley profile image84
      B. Leekleyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Where can I find out about the "new HP templates" you mentioned?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

When you start composing a hub, you will see the template instructions.  As you write the hub itself, you can look in the upper right corner to see "guidelines" that will help you check to see if you are meeting HP's standards.

3. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most of the time I avoid using the templates as I feel more comfort with my own style. But the intention behind these templates are good and may give us some additional traffic too.

4. NateB11 profile image86
      NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree. I like the templates, it's good for being prompted to include media which will help gain traffic. When I update a Hub I usually just add something to it that I hadn't, according to the template. I like that they've added those templates, simplifies things and they're a lot of help.

1. NateB11 profile image86
        NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I didn't say exactly what I meant to say: When I create a new Hub, I use the template; when I update a Hub, I use the 'goals' in the upper right corner of the Hub Tool and add what it says.

2. janshares profile image90
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Good for you, Luis. I have not used to new template thingy, just try to produce hubs with all that is needed to keep them interesting to readers, as well as featured. I don't want to jinx myself but all 49 of my hubs are featured, too. I just have a feeling that when it's about traffic/lack of engagement, which in some cases is out of your control, you can do everything right and still get un-featured. You and I should knock on wood and count our blessings . . . for now.

1. janshares profile image90
      jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just realized I have used it before but didn't realize that's what we were talking about. It depends on if sign in via Google or IE. It actually confuses me as to whether or not I'm using the new template. Is that the one that breaks down what you have in your hub, prompting to you to add more to make the hub better? Located at the top right?

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
        LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

On "Create A Hub", its on section number 3. Just click on one that is suitable for the type of article that you are writing.

Okay, I know where. Been doing that. Always just click "article" or "recipe." Thanks, Luis.

3. ologsinquito profile image76
    ologsinquitoposted 11 years ago

The templates are great. I wish I had discovered them sooner.

Is it like a step by step thing? advice on what capsules to use?

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Hubpages template is absolutely fantastic for beginners, but of limited use to seasoned hubbers.

Just write your hubs as normal. If they don't hit that magic search engine stream right away, remember what you read in the template and add more capsules, especially to bring them out of 'unfeatured status'.

When you add everything you can think of into a hub when it is first published, what are you going to edit when it goes unfeatured?

All those capsules are not necessary. But handy to use when your wording has failed to capture Google's heart.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I idon't.  I prefer to make a hub as complete as possible right from the start, with the thought that I won't need to edit it.  If I leave stuff out, and adding it in results in being featured again, then it should have been there from the beginning.  If it never goes unfeatured then I haven't lost anything but a little time.

And same with google.  If it doesn't like a hub until I add more capsules then they should have been in there from the start.  I can't see that keeping some capsules or information out so I can add them in later to become re-featured is a winning strategy.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
              mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I write a hub I include plenty of capsules anyway, I don't need a template to tell me where to put them etc, which is why I agreed with most of what Izzy said. What I didn't agree with was publishing a hub without those capsules on the basis I might need to add them later to get an unfeatured hub featured again though. On the occasions (thankfully rarely) that one of my Hubs is unfeatured, I confess I generally just slightly re-word the title, and then the hub gets featured again. If it goes unfeatured again in the future I simply change the title back to the old title or similar and the hub becomes featured again. The hubs in question are only unfeatured due to low traffic levels, and are not the type of hubs that will ever draw in large amounts of views whatever I do to them, so why waste time tweaking the capsules and the text when they were fine in the first place!

2. janshares profile image90

Good point, Izzy. Never thought of it that way.

4. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

i have 111 hubs, left 3 unfeatured hubs. Will be updating and hope not to see anymore unfeatured hubs. Anyway, does HP turn my hubs "unfeatured" because I get less than 10 views per day for per hub?

It would have to be less than ten per day for 2 months. Don't quote me but that's close to accurate.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Although other factors play a part I don't think you need anywhere near 10 per day.  More like 10 (SE visits) per month.  But don't quote me (I know no more than you do!)

Correct, wilderness. I meant less than 10 per month. Thanks for catching that. My bad. Some of us would be quite happy with 10 views per day. smile

1. tomy101 profile image63
            tomy101posted 11 years agoin reply to this

My issue with the whole Hubpage deal is that I wrote an article on Associated content and one day and  I had 162,000 hits. I have yet to gross 35,000 hits on my entire 150 plus hubs in my three years I have been here. Granted some of my older Hubs were not good, yet how can this be? I don't think Google adscence really works correctly on here. The article I wrote was 300 words and I made over 200.00 USD and I write my head off on here and barely fit the bill. Interesting fact I would think, no matter what template one uses.

2. DrMark1961 profile image98
          DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That seems pretty accurate. I have lots of hubs on dog health that only get about 10 a month, and all of my hubs are featured. (The page views are mostly from search engines, which may account for more on the "featured" scheme.)

5. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

I'm still in shock at the idea of anyone having written 560 hubs. Wow, Luis, how on earth can you have found the time to write 560 hubs in just two years? I need a bottle of your multi-vitamins!!
    smile

6. shampa sadhya profile image75
    shampa sadhyaposted 11 years ago

Talking about 10 visits per month is fine but I have a question that suppose some articles which may not receive the required number of visitors but quality wise are quite good then how come it becomes unfeatured. This is taking away credit from the writers.

Readers may have their particular choice of a subject but writers are not bound to write only on the subjects that sell. Creativity should be above all.

I have three or four unfeatured hubs but getting no interest in putting extra effort to make it featured. I feel HP is paying less and creating obstruction in the middle of the creative work.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)