jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)

Yahoo Got More Unique US Visitors in July than Google

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
    Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago

According to Web Pro News,Yahoo got 196.6 unique US visitors and Google got 192.3 million unique US visitors for July of this year. Google should be realizing that they aren't giving the best results. Maybe we should put more of our focus on what Yahoo wants.

Anyone have any ideas what Yahoo wants?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

As far as I understand, what google used to want.  Lots and lots of faked up backlinks.

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
        Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That sounds tiring to me and something I'm not willing to work at.

Me neither.  Write 'em and let 'em percolate in their own juice is my preferred method.

2. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I should have added that this isn't search engine traffic only, but includes traffic for Yahoo mail etc too.

3. CraftytotheCore profile image86
      CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't really understand how it all works.  But I had a friend who had an online business and she said most of her traffic came from writing articles on yahoo.  This was about 6 years ago so I don't know if Yahoo still has the same writing platform.

4. Writer Fox profile image77
      Writer Foxposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Those figures are for traffic to the websites, not users using the search engines. Yahoo is primarily an entertainment site and Google is not.

Presently, the Google search engine gets 83.13% of market share and Bing gets 14.20% (5.80% directly and another 8.40% through Yahoo). All search results on Yahoo are powered by Microsoft's Bing search engine.

Bing wants the same things that Google does when it comes to search engine results. Here's a link to Bing's Webmaster Guidelines:
      http://www.bing.com/webmaster/help/webm … s-30fba23a

Was it Bing or Yahoo that Matt Cutts once proved had scraped it's algorithm?  It was a few years ago, I think.

As I recall Google built into their algorithm a specific search result for a specific nonsensical string of characters.  What a surprise when (Bing?  Yahoo?) showed an identical result!  Cutts even posted the search results somewhere for the world to see.  Just after, of course, the competition went on record as all aggrieved that they would never, never steal such knowledge - they had their own engineers and didn't need to stoop to industrial espionage.  Funny as all get out!

working