Adsense Has Made Privacy Policy Madatory

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 15 years ago

Adsense Has Made Privacy Policy Mandatory and Behaviour Based Adsense Ads are coming

Thank God Hubpages has Privacy Policy Page. It is the first thing i did after seeing such a news of new adsense policy update as i  only have adsense in Hubpages.

Adsense has started using a new internet based advertising in which the data will be collected to display ads based on an users interference with the internet and the sites he is interested to see which is called Behaviour Trageting.

So Google has send an email yesterday to most people and also has requested everyone who is displaying adsense in their website to have a Privacy policy added as a mandatory. Those sites which do not have a privacy policy will be considered as a violation. Blogs do not need privacy policy as it is hopefully from google itself. All other websites should have privacy policy link at bottom of the page.  Many hubpage users have websites of their own, so they should try to add a privacy policy.

SAMPLE PRIVACY POLICY

Privacy Policy for ____.com

The privacy of our visitors to ____.com is important to us.

At _____.com, we recognize that privacy of your personal information is important. Here is information on what types of personal information we receive and collect when you use and visit _____.com, and how we safeguard your information.  We never sell your personal information to third parties.

Log Files
        As with most other websites, we collect and use the data contained in log files.  The information in the log files include  your IP (internet protocol) address, your ISP (internet service provider, such as AOL or Shaw Cable), the browser you used to visit our site (such as Internet Explorer or Firefox), the time you visited our site and which pages you visited throughout our site.

Cookies and Web Beacons
        We do use cookies to store information, such as your personal preferences when you visit our site.  This could include only showing you a popup once in your visit, or the ability to login to some of our features, such as forums.

We also use third party advertisements on ____.com to support our site.  Some of these advertisers may use technology such as cookies and web beacons when they advertise on our site, which will also send these advertisers (such as Google through the Google AdSense program) information including your IP address, your ISP , the browser you used to visit our site, and in some cases, whether you have Flash installed.  This is generally used for geotargeting purposes (showing New York real estate ads to someone in New York, for example) or showing certain ads based on specific sites visited (such as showing cooking ads to someone who frequents cooking sites).

You can chose to disable or selectively turn off our cookies or third-party cookies in your browser settings, or by managing preferences in programs such as Norton Internet Security.  However, this can affect how you are able to interact with our site as well as other websites.  This could include the inability to login to services or programs, such as logging into forums or accounts.

Sample of AdSense Privacy Policy Example Provided by Jensense

1. ngureco profile image79
      ngurecoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, shinujohn2008. You have put it so well than Google did. Thank you too for including that sample of privacy policy.

Does this means if you have 10,000 pages with adsense ads you'll have to edit each one by one manualy ?

1. profile image0
        shinujohn2008posted 15 years agoin reply to this

No need to add it to each page. It will appear in all pages if the privacy policy page link can be added at the bottom of the main page, so that it will reflect in all pages as a link.

I have about 500 pages that do not have privacy policy links. Won't it just be enough to add it only on homepage of my 500 pages website?

1. profile image0

Ngureco you do not have to worry about Hubpages because it already has privacy policy.

I am talking about adding privacy policy to your own websites, if they do not have one.

1. pauljorg profile image60
              pauljorgposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So based on the same idea, is it unnecessary to put a privacy statement on blogspot blogs?

1. Carolina Crete profile image67
                Carolina Creteposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Apparently it IS necessary to add a privacy policy to Blogger (blogspot) blogs.

You can make a post with your privacy policy, back-date it so it doesn't appear on the front page of posts, and then add a link to it on the front page on the side bar or bottom.

There's an easy Privacy Policy Generator for Adsense here:
                http://www.serprank.com/privacy-policy- … /index.php

Even if you opt out of the new ads you still need to update and display the privacy policy by 8th April for any blog or website serving Google Ads -
                https://www.google.com/adsense/support/ … tx=sibling

1. Shirley Anderson profile image70
                  Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The Privacy Policy generator asks if I use cookies?  How do I know?  I'm generating it for one of my blogger blogs.

2. Great finds profile image60
    Great findsposted 15 years ago

Google has made privacy policies mandatory since...a long time ago.

"Blogs do not need privacy policy as it is hopefully from google itself."

They do.

1. profile image0

Google has made it more stricter , as they are going to a launch a new type of adsense serving , in which the ads will not appear based on the content of the page.  The ads will appear based on the users previous searches based on cookies or the users behavioural interest to particular categories.

To participate in this new programme there is a seperate option now available in adsense account in the "My Account Tab"  You can see that a new option has been added there.

You can switch it on or off. This option is now available only to a few users.

Interest-based Ads Preference

Interest-based ads:     Show ads based on user interest categories. Visitation information from may be used to help create interest categories.

3. bgamall profile image69
    bgamallposted 15 years ago

I have adsense in other sites, so does that mean that I have to put this statement on the site?

1. Great finds profile image60
      Great findsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you do, even if it is hosted on a free blogging/website platform.

2. profile image0
      terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You will find that with search engine positioning your site will receive a score. The same applies for Adsense where your site will be scored. This simply means one cent a click or the full amount due.

Scores are determined on a lot of factors and having in place a privacy policy is one of them.

So basically, the answer to your question is yes and the benefit to your cpc will correlate.

Here is a hub http://hubpages.com/hub/Adsense-Earning … Fix-It-Now that explains it all and provides a suitable policy you can copy and paste to your site.

The policy has been in place for quite some time, but this thread is alluding to the NEW adsense component being introduced and the policy needs to be updated accordingly, if you enter that program. If you want to earn - abide by the terms of service and you will - earn.

Good thread to start ShinuJohn

4. profile image0

Till now ads were Served based on the Type of Content available on a Page.

Now Adsense is planning to serve ads based on the users likes and interests.

By 2010 we can say that  "Content Was King, Now Visitors are Kings"

Users see ads based on their behaviour and they are not served anything they do not require.

Recent Public Launch of Adsense For Domains from its Beta test was such an example and is being criticised by many people.

5. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 15 years ago

Jensense is gonna post a new template for the privacy policy that everyone can use.
    The site URL is here:
    http://www.jensense.com/

It's not up as of this post, but she says it will be up soon.

6. profile image0

Yes i have added the link in my post itself

7. bgamall profile image69
    bgamallposted 15 years ago

So if we choose to avoid the behavioral method we don't have to put the policy blurb onto the site? And is this supposed to be more effective advertising?

1. profile image0

Behaviour advertising is just being tested by google and the actual launch will take some time later based in the information they collect, as to it is successful or not. Eventhough we will get credited for the clicks we get from such ads.

8. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

My understanding is that we DON'T need a privacy policy on Hubs because HubPages already includes one.  If you have a blog or other website then a policy IS required already by the AdSense TOS.  This policy now needs to change if you are going to opt into the new advertising component.

9. BristolBoy profile image64
    BristolBoyposted 15 years ago

Thanks for sharing this I am sure it will be useful for both myself and others!

10. ngureco profile image79
    ngurecoposted 15 years ago

Shirley Anderson, you can also use the one by shinujohn2008 as listed in above post.

11. Shirley Anderson profile image70
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

Thanks, Ngureco.

I find this stuff confusing.  Does my Blogger blog use cookies?  I dunno.  Should I just put in that I do so I'm covered?

"We do use cookies to store information......"  It's Google adsense who will do that.

Because your Blogger blog is showing adsense, then the answer to your question is "yes".

1. Shirley Anderson profile image70
        Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Great, thank-you so much, Ngureco!!  I appreciate it.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I put no my blog does not use cookies. I'm on Blogger. Google adds the paragraph that Adsense and Amazon do use cookies.

1. profile image0

I collected information and came to know that in blogspot blogs also you have to use privacy policy. Each blog is an individual one and if u see the google official blog that is hosted in blogger itself, they have added a privacy policy. http://googleblog.blogspot.com

They could have avoided adding that privacy statement, as it is hosted in blogger.

The latest information i have is that accounts that do not have policy will be banned from May , even if the interest based advertising is opted or not, as the policy is a mandatory one.

13. profile image0

Last date for adding privacy policy is April 8 th 2009.
    New format of privacy policy

14. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I added the privacy policy, but in the form when they asked if I used cookies I said no. Google added that AdSense and Amazon add tracking cookies.

15. profile image0

Yes google adds cookies and in adition to this they are also using interest based advertising which requires collection of more data. So it requires updations like below given format.

DoubleClick DART cookies
    We also may use DART cookies for ad serving through Google’s DoubleClick, which places a cookie on your computer when you are browsing the web and visit a site using DoubleClick advertising (including some Google AdSense advertisements).  This cookie is used to serve ads specific to you and your interests (”interest based targeting”).  The ads served will be targeted based on your previous browsing history (For example, if you have been viewing sites about visiting Las Vegas, you may see Las Vegas hotel advertisements when viewing a non-related site, such as on a site about hockey).  DART uses “non personally identifiable information”.  It does NOT track personal information about you, such as your name, email address, physical address, telephone number, social security numbers, bank account numbers or credit card numbers.  You can opt-out of this ad serving on all sites using this advertising by visiting

http://www.doubleclick.com/privacy/dart_adserving.aspx

You can chose to disable or selectively turn off our cookies or third-party cookies in your browser settings, or by managing preferences in programs such as Norton Internet Security.  However, this can affect how you are able to interact with our site as well as other websites.  This could include the inability to login to services or programs, such as logging into forums or accounts.

Deleting cookies does not mean you are permanently opted out of any advertising program.  Unless you have settings that disallow cookies, the next time you visit a site running the advertisements, a new cookie will be added.

If you require any more information or have any questions about our privacy policy, please feel free to contact us by email us at

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)