Wondering about the benefits of 'my activity' on the profile

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    julieannbradyposted 9 years ago

It was quite recently that I happened to notice the tab on our profiles, 'My Activity,' that shows virtually all of our activity throughout HubPages with the exception of the various ratings we might leave.

Then, when I go to my dashboard statistics, I see another activity tab which shows hubs commented on.

It almost seems like those two activities are switched in that the 'My Activity' on the profile is a lot of info to be made public. It might encourage stalkers or trolls or surely it seems like a GPS.

Just wondering out loud about the benefits of 'my activity' -- is that a newer feature on the profile?

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
      Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Julie,  The "My Activity" on profiles is not new. It's been there as long as I can remember.

I understand what you are saying about how it can be abused by trolls. But I find it very useful. Many times I want to  post a link to a post someone else wrote that might be an answer to someone else's question. I remember reading something and I might remember who wrote it. But how do I find it?  I go to his or her profile and search through their activity.  Then I can post the actual link, giving them credit for their post.

Sometimes, I also need to find old posts or comments I made to use again or to refer to again. So I check my own activity and I find it.

I think the benefits outweigh the negatives.

2. Thomas Swan profile image96
      Thomas Swanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree with you more. I actually had the problem you're talking about. It was several months ago now, but someone was going to all the things I'd commented on and trying to troll. The only way they could have done that is with the "my activity" tab.

The solution is to allow people to have the option of making "my activity" private.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes!

2. lisavollrath profile image93
        lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It seems odd to add a feature to make your activity private, when all your posts on HubPages are public.

2. profile image0

Glenn, I surely do hear what you are saying! There are nuggets of information there in 'my activity' for all to see. It's rather like how we perceive that half full glass of water! In hindsight, that sure would have been interesting as lensmasters to have that posted to our Squidoo profiles!! wink

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Looking at someone's recent activity is a great way of shutting down a serial forum spammer, especially the super-proliferating-cut-n-paste flavor. 

It also reveals those last few posts from right before that really active person who was getting heated in the forums disappeared for three days.

Some people complain about the lack of anonymity but I like how people have to own up to their words and actions.

I've done that too when I see a spammer, and then I flag all their spam I find from their activity listing.

4. profile image0

I don't know who you are referring to -- but hopefully it isn't me.

5. relache profile image72

That was a general statement.  But it is also meant to include people who wish for private messaging. (no one wishes for that moderation nightmare)

There is one thing I will say, and this does refer to you, Julie, and to everyone else who just arrived from Squidoo.

I wish all the people coming over from Squidoo would take five minutes to run a search in the forums for the idea/feature they all are convinced has never been requested before.  A significant amount of the more recent "new feature" requests really are not.

1. Glen Kowalski profile image93
      Glen Kowalskiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

At the same time the more a feature is requested the more visible it is to the powers that be.  And oftentimes forum searches bring up 'dead' posts that you can not comment on anyways smile  Not trying to argue just presenting the other side of the equation.

6. profile image0

Gosh, I feel like I am back in school. YES, I search each and every time to try and find what I am questioning. I do believe I mentioned that in one of my last searches, before posting, it was suggested that I start a new thread.

Yikes! That we new HPers keep getting slapped down.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I personally think there is nothing wrong with asking for site improvements again, even if something has been requested in the past.  The situation may have changed that the answer might be yes this time, because it may be easier to do than it was in the past, or because the new person might be able to convince the management with a better argument.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can see it both ways. 

I think the ideal is to search the "Feature Suggestions" forum first, to see if it's been suggested before - and then see if you can revive the thread instead of posting a new one.   That way, HubPages can't pretend it's a feature no one else wants!   

I know you get a warning that the thread has been dormant for a long time, but it's NOT against HubPAGES policy to revive it, it's just to warn people they're getting into an old debate.

The last time I revived a thread that had that warning on it, the thread was closed to reply minutes later. It was a thread I'd started myself in February, 2014 (I think, without checking), so it wasn't even that old. Whether that's normal, I don't know.

But I agree, that would be a good way of doing it.

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

I use the feature quite often for reasons some have already mentioned.  It comes in handy, but I'm sure some have used it to troll certain hubbers. 

As far as reviving old threads, I think it's better to make a new one.  If one wants to make mention of the old thread, a link can be inserted.  Old threads have outdated information and often someone doesn't even realize they're reading a three year old thread.

Yes, of course.

8. English-lion profile image72
    English-lionposted 9 years ago

So it may seem, reminds me of another forum SSDP

Only if you let it  wink.....makes you want to have an ignore button on here<<<<< and no, I didn't go through the gazillion posts to find if that  subject was brought up before, so shot me.

On a positive note, I do feel that this forum has been most welcoming smile

9. profile image0

Thomas, I think, under the circumstances, that I would agree with what you have said, "The solution is to allow people to have the option of making "my activity" private."

Allow us to turn that to private view. I was first thinking allowing only those you are following, but that might be too complex an undertaking.

There are stalkers and trolls who will search you out no matter public or private. But, let's look on the positive side, the positive benefits probably outweigh those with other intents!

10. relache profile image72

Personally I think now is a real bad time to flood the admjn team with lots of old feature requests when it's clear they have a much bigger and important job to do before the holiday traffic kicks up.

1. Glen Kowalski profile image93
      Glen Kowalskiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can see your point, but it is also the influx of new users that is creating a lot of work.  And if a majority of users, new and old alike, want the same thing maybe huppages can add it to the 'to do list' or at least the 'consider it' list.  Good thing about forums is that unless you have a server crash or malicious attack the forum posts will still be here after the holiday rush so they don't (and I'm sure aren't) have to respond right away. 

It is considered bad etiquette on most forums to 'resurrect' dead posts though.  just my 2c which is more than I have earned for hubpages or myself so far big_smile

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It does seem like bad timing, when they are so busy.  Unfortunately though, that may be why some features just didn't get implemented - because the timing was bad.  The best time to bring up a feature is when you think of it, and that usually happens when someone is new, before they have gotten used to the workarounds and learned to ignore features they did not like.  I think people would understand that something they ask for winds up on a to-do some day later list.

I do agree that it is a good idea to look at old postings, mainly to see what the answer was for the request.  There may have been a reason given about why a certain feature would not be implemented, and that reason may still be relevant.

As to the OP, I would prefer to keep my activity hidden.  I guess it is a good feature for me to reference, but my readers do not need to know my history - it can be used to track my schedule and my whereabouts, and that is never good.

I think this is a very good point.

2. Lionrhod profile image77
        Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Definitely a good point.

Also, say a user is searching for sensitive information. Alcoholism, depression, schizophrenia, BDSM (though I doubt that's allowed on HP anyway) etc. Things that they wouldn't necessarily like to share with the world at large. The activity feature pretty much outs them to the world.

Until I read this forum post, I didn't realize that "my activity" even was public and I definitely don't like that idea. Not that I've done anything I might be embarrassed about (so far anyhow *g*) but still it makes me feel like I'm being cyberstalked just for it to exist.

I've been loving the move to HP. This is the first feature that has set up alarm bells and red flags in my mind.

HP please allow us the ability to make "my activity" private.

Lionrhod, This is a useless request. If you have concerns about privacy of anything you do or say online, maybe you should not be doing or saying it.

Everything you say online is public information. As an experiment, do a Google search for "Lionrhod hubpages forum" in quotes. You'll see that everything you have said is indexed by Google for public scrutiny.

11. profile image0

Thinking out loud -- perhaps the existing "blacklist" feature could be expanded to block access to "My Activity."

12. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

As I see it, we can choose whether or not to show only featured hubs on our profiles, whether or not to show earned accolades, and whether or not to show stats about praise we've received for hubs and via fan mail, so why shouldn't we be able to choose whether or not to show activity?

Besides, if I were the sort of person who chooses to hide accolades, I probably wouldn't want the world and his wife to see my newly earned accolade floating down 'my activity'.

1. profile image0
      julieannbradyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Amen!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)