jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

I am wondering about how to help a hoarder pack and move because they no longer

1. Heart of a Lion profile image57
    Heart of a Lionposted 7 years ago

I am wondering about how to help a hoarder pack and move because they no longer own the house....

However, nothing can be thrown away, she yells at anyone who doesn't see things the way she does. So we have to move the contents of a 5,500sf house that she has lived 20yrs. It's overwhelming.

2. profile image56
    rieomposted 7 years ago

This is a tough one because hoarders do not want to get rid of anything.  I think the way to go is to rent at a storage facility and funnel most of the junk that way.  They can "take" what they actually need to the new residence.  They need to be willing to pay the rent at a storage facility or face losing their accumulated mess.

3. capon profile image60
    caponposted 7 years ago

Can of petrol and box of matches! Unless your friend is prepared to throw stuff away; I fear it will be a long job. All the best to you anyway.

4. LeeWalls profile image61
    LeeWallsposted 6 years ago

Don't think of sentimality or you will never get anywhere. Stick to the basics. If it's yellow, smelly, gray with years, and more than a person could reasonibly use instead of just having it there, get rid of it and I mean get rid of it.

I didn't see people in Egypt or Libya wondering about their material things when things got bad; all they thought about was their life and getting out of there.

working