jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)

Rate My Hubs

1. dmruru profile image60
    dmruruposted 3 years ago

I just posted three hubs in the last two days and the two first days I'm part of this community. However, there are some questions that stucks on my head. It's pretty simple one though, but I need your help to answer it. Are my hubs well beyond the standard of quality here, or are they inadequately pass the quality standard of hubs featured here. Thanks.

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't think your English is at a good enough standard to be successful here.  Most of HubPages' traffic comes from the USA and therefore they expect American English with good grammar.

1. takkhisa profile image77
        takkhisaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Dear Marisa, you should not have said like that way. To be honest with you, we (Asian) try our best to write good article in English at hubpages or other online writing platforms. English is not my mother language but I am happy I at least could write something in English. My friends here on hubpages who live in the USA, they more or less like reading my hubs though I doubt that I write good articles. I don't know what my American friends expect from me but I will share something that makes them happy for sure. You should have encouraged @dmruru so that dmruru could get inspired by your words and be a good writer here and there. Could you speak or write in Japanese,Korean or Chinese, Vietnamese? Maybe you could, I always wish you could. Thanks.

1. Marisa Wright profile image99

No, I couldn't write in Japanese or Korean.  I could write in Spanish, Russian or French, but I would not do so on HubPages.  I can write well enough in those languages to write a letter, but I cannot write well enough to write magazine-style articles.

Your friends on HubPages may like your articles, but you will not make money on HubPages from your friends' visits.   You can make money only if you get visitors from Google and the other search engines, and they will not send traffic to Hubs which have poor grammar and spelling. 

I observe that most people who join HubPages from India or Asia are hoping to earn an income.  I think it's better to be honest with them than offer false hope.

I know you would not publish hubs in Spanish, Russian or French. Well, you surely a talented person who could write in these languages at least something. smile

Why did you bring the word "money" here? We were not talking about making money, were we?
            Yes I know what you have said. I have been earning money being a writer, I was a regular member at Squidoo.com. In fact, my articles used to get a lot of traffic on Squidoo from Google, Yahoo, Bing. You know, I am also getting traffic from Google here.

Well, there are people who don't think of making money but sharing ideas with you. They find a perfect place to share their voice, for example - Hubpages. However, it will not be a false hope until you believe in yourself that "Yeah, they could do it."

Just don't think I am arguing here smile, I can't argue with no one. That's not my business. Take care.

1. lisavollrath profile image96
              lisavollrathposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You will find, as have many of us who have transferred from Squidoo, that what was allowed there will not fly at HubPages. While you may be writing English words, you don't write in English well. You may have been able to get away with poor English writing skills at Squidoo, but here at HubPages, the emphasis is on good quality, which requires a proficiency in written English you haven't achieved yet.

This is what you have to say! Ok, thanks anyway.
                I admit I am not a good writer like you are. But it does not mean you have to keep saying the same thing over again and again. Like you were telling me "you don't write in English well, You may have been able to get away with poor English writing skills at Squidoo, Your grammar isn't good, and your phrasing is awkward." Are not you happy telling just this "you don't write in English well?" However, if telling like this make you happy or satisfy you then tell me many many times. I will not bother at all. I am a peaceful person, that what I am.

I am glad you have achieved the skill to be a good writer that what hubpages needs. I wish you write many good articles in the up coming days, months, years. Thank you.

2. Marisa Wright profile image99

Why do you think HubPages exists?  To make money.  To make money, they need to present the image of a quality online magazine (they are not always successful in doing that, but they are trying).  HubPages is happy to accept all writers, including those who write on non-commercial things which won't earn them money - but they don't want writers who can't write.  So, this is not a place to learn to write and it's not a place for writers who need to improve their English.    There are other places online where you can do that.

Of course I know that, hubpages exists to make money as well as for sharing its revenue with its writers. Some writers are just happy to write here sharing their ideas and thoughts. If hubpages thinks that I can't write article, I wish they delete my account at once.

I don't agree with this statement of your "this is not a place to learn to write and it's not a place for writers who need to improve their English" - How could you resist someone if they want to learn English reading hubs? There are many ways one can learn English such as online, reading book or at school and I follow this way to improve my English. Does it bother you when someone wants to learn from here? I think hubpages would be happy to know it that people learn something from its site. I think you would never understand the feeling that we have when we try to write in other language (English). Just like the way a hungry tiger does not want to understand the fear of an innocent deer because he has to hunt it. Anyway, have a good day and be happy smile

2. lisavollrath profile image96
        lisavollrathposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Marisa. Your grammar isn't good, and your phrasing is awkward. This is a site for people who can write well in English. I don't think you're quite there yet. You need a little more practice, or some editing by a native English-speaking writer, before you publish.

2. dmruru profile image60
    dmruruposted 3 years ago

thanks for your comments. i know that my english is not that perfect, but at least im trying to, and my purpose here is to be useful for people worldwide, so i dont think i would need money from hubpages. i already have a decent paying job so well its okay if im not getting money from here smile

Dear @dmruru, my English is not that much good as well though I learn reading articles of others. I used to do it on Squidoo. I read so many articles there and I learned to improve my English. I think you could do the same here as well. I wish you good luck and I know you could make it. So no worries, share your thoughts and ideas openly here and this is for what Hubpages was created. Have a good day smile

3. Sulabha profile image86
    Sulabhaposted 3 years ago

Dear Dmruru,
    My advice is write when you feel like writing and leave the rest to HubPages. Why worry unnecessarily!
    By the way, I liked your hub on bananas.

working