Where is this traffic coming from?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (34 posts)
  1. lisavollrath profile image90
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

So, I just logged in after almost 18 hours without power, to discover that my article on The Woodmen's Circle Home is getting slammed with traffic. It usually gets under 100 views in a day. So far today, Google Analytics says it's at almost 10,000 views, and rising.

I can trace it back as far as Facebook mobile, but can't track it to a definite post. Does anyone have a good way of doing that?

I can see by the location of the incoming traffic that it has to be a locally based page, but for the life of me, I can't think of one that would have a large enough following to generate that many click-throughs! I'd like to find it, take a peek, and say thanks to whoever posted the link.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hope you're feeling..........
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11861350.jpg

2. NateB11 profile image86
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you type into search engine: lisavollrath.hubpages.com site:facebook.com and hit search you get results for where your hp articles have been posted to facebook. Looks like Nicole Curtis the Rehab Addict has posted your article. She's got a lot of followers. Don't know if that's the original source of the article going viral.

Might be a better way to narrow down the search, but that's what I got.

Congrats! by the way

Edit: Looks like I got that wrong. But you found the source anyway.

lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I saw that earlier, but that's not it. She has her page set up so you don't see posts by others unless you click for them, and that link was posted by one of her followers, not her. Chances aren't good that someone on a mobile would see that link.

Also, the time the traffic spike started doesn't work with that link. It does work with the one on the radio station page I mention below.

2. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 9 years ago

Congrats! Lisavollrath! Maybe I should go jogging then check my traffic score! smile Good Stuff!

If you're looking for an excuse to get away from the computer, I highly recommend jogging over power failure.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

10K in a day? Bitchin'! Wish I could get that lucky. big_smile

After the roller coaster we've all been on these past few weeks, I would say don't question where it's coming from, just take it as a gift from a gracious nowhere and enjoy it for as long as it lasts....hahaha

Over 20,000 now. I'll take page views wherever I can get them.

4. Sue Adams profile image93
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

To find out who has linked to my pages when a hub goes viral,  I go to the HP Stats of that hub rather than Google Analytics and set it to "Day", or "Week" view. If it is substantial, the HP Stats on the hub itself tells you where its traffic comes from.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11860755.jpg

For me, it.is usually Pinterest or a prominent health site that mentions one of my articles and has posted a link to it.

Thanks. As I said, I've traced it as far as m.facebook.com, which is Facebook mobile. I'm looking for the original post. So far, everyone who has contacted me through my Facebook page has said they found it because one of their friends posted it. With this number of views, some page with a huge local following had to have started it, but so far, no clues.

5. Sue Adams profile image93

Have you tried looking at the search queries in Google Webmaster Tools? That is if your HP sub-domain is in there and verified.

Yes, but since this isn't coming from search, there's nothing there that's helpful. This is a direct link to the page that's been posted by someone with a large following, and is now being passed around between people in Texas. I'm sitting here, watching the real time Analytics, and 172 people are on that hub right now, all in Texas. Some Texas-oriented page posted that link, and I can't for the life of me find it.

6. SusanDeppner profile image77
    SusanDeppnerposted 9 years ago

I hope you find the original post so you'll know but, in any case, that is awesome! Congratulations!

7. Sue Adams profile image93

Oh Well, just enjoy it while you can. Hopefully the article will make you some money too. The question is, which do we prefer? Fame, or Fortune?

Hah! I seriously doubt even this landslide of page views will gain me fame or fortune, but if I have to choose, show me the money!

8. lisavollrath profile image90
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

GOT IT!

The Facebook page of radio station 93.1 KMKT in scenic Sherman, Texas, posted the link to their followers this morning, calling it the best haunted house in Grayson County. It looks like it's been shared and reshared from there.

I traced it through their cross post to Twitter.

9. CatherineGiordano profile image77
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

Wow.  Now I am going to try to think of a hub that a radio station (or anyone really) would like to link to. Congrats. Haunted house--good connection to Halloween. that's an idea. Write something that connects to a big current news story that has legs. Not the story in the news (because that is not evergreen) , but something that connects to it.

Well, if it helps at all, this is an article on an abandoned property that I've been photographing for 20 years. Local legend says it's haunted, but mostly, it's just a beautiful cluster of buildings that are decaying, and a lot of people are really angry about that. Pretty much everyone in Sherman has a story about this place, which ends with "it's a shame they're letting it fall apart".

It's also the #1 article on this place in search results, and has been for many years. And, it's a transferred lens from Squidoo. smile

1. relache profile image66
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

sweet.

10. story-maker profile image60
    story-makerposted 9 years ago

Hmm neutral Congratulations.

11. CatherineGiordano profile image77
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

I just remembered I once had a link to my review of Dexter on my PremiumCableReviews blog on the SHOWTIME website. That should have been huge, shouldn't it. I only got 600 views., so you really lucked out..

Maybe this worked out for me because, although this place is a local landmark, not a lot of people know its history, or even the name of it. I often talk to people using its name, and they reply with, "oh, is that the old place out at 56 & 1417?"

That, and I have to say, the main photo that appears when you post the link is pretty great, even if I did take it myself. smile

12. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

You never know what will go viral!  I noted that there is not one affiliate link on the page, you're not trying to sell anything.  You wrote a hub about something that interests you (and a specific audience), supplied interesting text, personal photos, video, informative links to outside sources. There ya go, you never know.  Nice!

Thanks. There used to be one Amazon capsule on it, for a book called High on a Windy Hill, written by one of the former residents of the home, about her years there. It's gone out of print.

1. PegCole17 profile image92
        PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Having that many views is awesome! Congratulations. Perhaps you could locate the out-of-print book with an eBay advert. I found one that way. Anyhow, you are on a roll. It is quite inspiring.
        Peg

13. chinawapzz profile image60
    chinawapzzposted 9 years ago

Mr lisavollrah please help me out,am new here

14. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

chinawapzz: You need featured hubs to get traffic to begin with.  What has happened with lisavollrath is rare, but it does happen for some hubbers.

15. Arachnea profile image67
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

Good for you, lisavollrath. I think that's wonderful. I'm not far from Sherman, TX. I'll have to add it to my list of things to do. For some reason I had it in the back of my mind that you were from the UK. I need to pay more attention when I'm reading people's profiles.

Hah! No such luck. Stuck in Texas for the duration.

1. Arachnea profile image67
        Arachneaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Funny, I use the same phrasing when I refer to my sojourn here.

16. Glenda Motsavage profile image68
    Glenda Motsavageposted 9 years ago

Congrats lisavollrath!  I wonder what the record is for the largest amount of views to a Hub in a single day?  You're such a sensational Sleuth Lisa, perhaps you can investigate and let us know!

1. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think the highest is around a million smile

17. Glenda Motsavage profile image68
    Glenda Motsavageposted 9 years ago

@Susana S...  WOW, HP's Server must have gone bonkers that day!

18. MarieLB profile image76
    MarieLBposted 9 years ago

Hi  #lisavolirath,  Congratulations!!  Nothing to worry about.  When it is raining roses all around you, enjoy the exquisite scent.  Lucky you.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)