Please make earnings csv file more useful

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

I'm wondering if the HubPages Team are aware that earnings data on Amazon sales exported to a csv file is much less useful than it could be because the $ notation is a prefix to each amount rather than topping the column.

That means it's impossible to sum the data using a formula.

In other words the report is being treated as if it's text rather than numbers

If the earnings data in number columns was treated as raw numbers then analysis of earnings could be done much more easily

All that needs to happen is to include the $ notation at the TOP OF THE COLUMN in the heading and exclude it from the numerical data (ir make numbers numbers and not text). That would then allow the numbers to be added up.

I'm sure not everybody analyses their data - but for those of us that do and export the CSV file into Excel - such a change would be very much appreciated

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is related to handling different data types in your spreadsheet program of choice.

You can adjust the data types and way the CSV is imported and get the sums to work without any changes to the CSV.

makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Only if you have entered the data as numbers and not text.

When you enter the data as $123 you create a text value not a numerical value

Import a csv into Excel and then try and add up the earnings column using the summation (add) formula - which is the Epsilon.  Then you'll understand what I'm getting at

All the values are text values not numerical values - because every single number has been entered with a $prefix which makes it text not numbers.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If the data is exporting with a $ sign in front of it, then Excel still can't read it as a number.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Except that when I export my reports to Excel, that's exactly what Excel does--it will then run any formulas I like on it.  I have no idea why your version of Excel is not doing this but it is most certainly possible. But I do have to set it not as a "number" but as "currency".

I repeat

I took the data from the last 90days (ie my first 90 days on HubPages) and imported the csv file into Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011 version 14.4.4. (ie the latest update)

I included a summation formula at the bottom of the earnings column - and it returned no value

I checked the data in the cells - and each and every number has a $ in front of it (ie it's treated as text and not a number)

I tried changing the column to currency (ie US$) before starting this thread. It makes absolutely no difference. The formula still returns no value for the summation of the earnings.

That's because the formula is unable to count the numbers as numbers because each is prefixed by a $

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Specifically, if your spreadsheet program does not do this automatically, select the column and change it to data type "currency". My copy of Excel seems to figure this out automatically.

I've been using Excel for very many years (since the early 90s?) and I do know how to change the format! smile

The thing is if data has been entered as text (i.e. $123) rather than numbers (i.e. 123) then changing the format makes no difference because now you have a column of text that is characterised as if it were currency - but the format does not work because the data is text not numbers

In other words if the data is ENTERED a $123 then it's text

If the data is entered as 123, then it can be treated in any number of ways according to the different formats available in Excel.

Or to put it more simply - if you use the summation formula for the range of values covered by the earnings column then the result is a big fat "-"

It can't even manage a zero because of course the data is text not numbers.

3. psycheskinner profile image83

All I can say is that my Excel can do it, ergo Excel must be capable of doing it.

I can't show my numbersbecause ToS, but this is my last weeks earning exported direct to Excel with an autosum shown on the right hand column, working just fine.
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12026831.png

The headings across the top of the columns are different in the csv for AMAZON EARNINGS that I've imported.

My headings are
      Earnings    Earnings Rate    Revenue    Price    Quantity    Item Url    Item Name    Seller    Date SHipped

The Hubpages Earnings report csv (for Ad Programe, eBay and amazon) already has the columns totalled (although interestingly this is NOT a formula total - it's inserted as text)

I don't see where you are getting your column headings from.

Are you using the HubPages Amazon program?

4. psycheskinner profile image83

All the reports work the same for me but if you want Amazon specifically:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12026853.png

You have a totally different set of headings.

Are you getting this csv file from the "Amazon Sales Reports" tab

5. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

Sorry - I should have been more specific in the title.

The request relates to the Amazon report 90 days csv which can be found on the "Amazon Sales Report" tab on my HubPages dashboard

I should like to have a proper data file with real numbers (i.e. NOT TEXT) so I can do further analysis on the data

6. psycheskinner profile image83

My habit is to get them all from the earnings page and use the drop down menu to change the source.  But if the issue is the $ prefix I think all the files are the same for that.

Thanks for the info. That means we are accessing the report files in a different way.

I'll try accessing the Amazon report via the earnings page and see what happens.

...and we have the answer.

The columns are already totalled - however this is already inserted as a TEXT VALUE as the total is not created from a formula which sums the numbers

Personally I like to verify sums!

(I think you may be referring to the theory of being able to change columns to currency - which I agree exists if the data is numbers - rather than the need to do this. You would have no reason to do this for the 90 day csv file from your source as the total is provided - but maybe you didn't realise that it's a text total.)

The point is that by making the earnings text rather than numbers HubPages is preventing people from taking the raw data and reordering it and summarising it in different ways

In other words we are provided with a text file for our records and not a data file for further manipulation.

My request is for a data file

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)