Earnings reports differing from daily cumulative numbers

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (30 posts)
  1. bravewarrior profile image87
    bravewarriorposted 9 years ago

I've noticed in the past couple of months that my balance history for a particular month does not reflect what my account shows in current time. Yes, earnings and page views were stalled during the last weekend of September, but now all is supposedly good. However, my balance history is $5 shy of what my account showed before the stall. Same thing happened in August.

Does this have anything to do with the bizarre negative numbers in traffic sources? And what's up with that anyway? Traffic is traffic. You can't un-view a page.

Has anyone else experienced a difference in their balance history (which shows the $ you have coming to you) versus the numbers shown during the current month?

Admin, please come in and tell me why I - and perhaps we - are realizing less of a payout than current daily stats show.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is the report you want to refer to for your balance and payout.
      https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/history

The monthly income/revenue isn't what you are paid in a month as the Amazon and eBay programs are on a 60 and 30 day cycle respectively.
      This chart shows what I am referring to.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#hpads-payments

bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanx, Matthew. It's a little misleading, but now I know. How can we keep track on a local level? Create a spreadsheet to make sure everything catches up?

When I check my account and see one number, it's not broken down. Perhaps the real time number that shows at the top of the account page should show what is current (to be paid on the 28th of the following month if the minimum is achieved) and the "pending" amount that won't be seen until the following months based on the outside vendor cycles.

As having spent years in the accounting field I do the math when I see my 'current' earnings on the account page. It's disappointing when payout is different. Can you bring up with staff to show real numbers versus accrued numbers? Or at least break them down on the account page?

Also, can you explain the negative numbers in the traffic sources page? That makes no sense to me.

>>How can we keep track on a local level? Create a spreadsheet to make sure everything catches up?
          Most of the reports allow you to export to a CSV, so if you wanted you could open those in Excel, Open Office, GDrive, etc

>>Can you bring up with staff to show real numbers versus accrued numbers? Or at least break them down on the account page?

I would suggest using the balance history report in order to know when you will reach payout and what is being paid from what program and for what period.

>>can you explain the negative numbers in the traffic sources page? That makes no sense to me.
          Can you please share the title and/or URL of a Hub for which you are seeing negative traffic sources?
          Please send it to team at hubpages dot com

Matthew, the report doesn't show which hubs have negative views. Here's the link to my traffic sources report. Hopefully, you can tell us what's happening with this. I'm not the first one to notice it.

http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/traffic-sources

Thanks.  We had a report of traffic sources being negative, but I didn't know it was at the account level.  Thanks for the helpful information.

I have forwarded this to our engineering team and created a forum thread as well.
              http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2651693

Awesome. Thank you, Matthew!

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

The earnings page where we see earnings for the month don't reflect any sales that we have not been paid for.

Linda, I appreciate your response but that wasn't my question. I'm talking about the account page where you view your page views and check to see if any hubs need to be revised. The amount shown on that page DOES reflect dollars we won't be paid for the following month if we've earned Amazon or eBay commissions. That's the problem. It's misleading.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image61

bravewarrior:  Different pages with different figures and the way you look them up is different as well.

I don't know about other hubbers, but I check my account page daily to see if any of my hubs have issues that need to be addressed. Right at the top of the page in big numbers is what I've earned so far this month. Just as I don't record income until it's paid, earnings should reflect the same so as to not mislead. There's a difference between actual, accrued, and deferred. Deferred earnings should be made clear.

4. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

I brought this issue up earlier bravewarrier.  The balance history page is the best place to see what you have been paid, accrued and deferred.  However, that page does not show what is pending on Amazon (and maybe ebay) during the lag period.

1. Stacy Birch profile image75
      Stacy Birchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't even believe amazon is even working.  A friend bought a large amount of stuff through my page and there is nothing about the money that should be coming into my account.  The days are listed but nothing shows up.  I was there when the items were bought I know everything was done correctly.

I buy things for Christmas on eBay through my pages and they all show up within a couple of days.

Stacy, look at Matthews response to my question. It may shed some light.

I've checked every report.  That report only shows my ebay orders and adds, Amazon is what is not working, and almost the entire order was delivered already.

It's showing my click throughs and it's showing the ten dollar book, I bought for my mom on my kindle because her computer was being used and not the huge order she made three days before, super sad and disappointed with the amazon section of this program.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
        Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Most likely, these items were purchased during HubPages share of the time.  Instead of taking the total dollar amount and splitting it 60/40, they take the time and split it 60/40. That means 60% of the time, you get 100%  of the revenue and 40% of the time, they get 100% of the revenue.

5. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

I would prefer the stats page to stay the way it is - because it refers to the date the money is earned and not just when it is paid.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Stacy: With the HP program we get a higher commission, but like Millionaire posted, we have the 60/40 split.   You can always opt out of the Hub Pages Amazon program and use your Amazon Associates ID instead.  But, if you order yourself under your ID,, Amazon will not pay the commission and may even shut down your account.

What is Amazon's policy for Associates placing orders for themselves?

You may not purchase products during sessions initiated through your own Associates links and will not receive referral fees for such orders. This includes orders for customers, orders on behalf of customers, and orders for products to be used by you, your friends, your relatives, or your associates in any manner.

It has nothing to do with way it is split, there was a glitch that prevented me from getting any commission on the sale, non nothing and it was a large sale.

I wasn't logged in, it's not my computer and when I go through my kindle the commissions come through.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is just being flagged for your attention that this is not permitted. So even if it was not likely to be detected, discussing it on a public forum is probably not a great idea.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If the sale was during a Hubpages impression you will get zero.  If it is a Hubber impression you will get 100% of the commission.  That is the way it works.

Thank you for answering my question, really I just wanted to know what happened.  Really it isn't something I would ever bring up, but it was really confusing to me, because it never happened before on squidoo, but theirs was always a 50/50 split, so you knew what you were making and what they were making off you.  And I do wonder about my family buying things through my links, but they would buy these things no matter what.  I don't even live with some of my family that buy things through my articles.  I know I can't click on my adsense links, but I only use those on my blog and I've never clicked on them.  Hubpages rules for adds wasn't that clear to me so thank you for your help.

I wish I was better at referrals and those types of programs, but I've never really understood them.

I don't understand the referral program either. I've read the learning center and hubs regarding how to use it but I'm still confused. How and when do we use the 'link to this page' link at the bottom of each hub? Do we do it when we post? Or do we do it if we're linking to someone else's hub?

This is how bad it, I made 22 cents on a similar program in zazzle, I've been working on zazzle for 5 years.  Oh once I had a 15 dollar commission on a referral, but they cancelled the order...sniff.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Can I purchase Amazon products displayed on my own Hubs and earn a commission?

No. Purchasing products using your own links is strictly prohibited and is grounds for expulsion from the Amazon Program as well as forfeiture of your entire HubPages Earnings Program balance.

http://hubpages.com/faq/

#13   Hub Pages Amazon  Program

I wasn't using my links, I wasn't buying anything.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61

bravewarrior: Once we set up our own trackers, the referral link with our tracker ID is built in the link to this page at the bottom of the hub.  That link is to the hub you are reading and may want to add to your links capsule or text link in your hub.

Thanx, Linda. I have my tracker link set up and have for the past 3 years. I've only recently learned to incorporate it into my hub link when I'm promoting via social media or email.

I'm still confused about the 'link to this hub' at the bottom of each page. How is that to be used?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)