Backlinks and Penguin

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (15 posts)
  1. NateB11 profile image92
    NateB11posted 3 years ago

I thought this was a good general guide for links especially in light of the on-going and recent Penguin updates.
    http://www.receptional.com/blog/19-thin … uild-links

1. colorfulone profile image81
      colorfuloneposted 3 years agoin reply to this

This is interesting to read by professionals.
      "Google Panda and Penguin changed the game and changed the link based SEO industry forever."
      http://backlinkreport.net/penguin-strategy

2. colorfulone profile image81

The Learning Center: "The Hub is Overly Promotional" http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/publ … d_22732854

"There are places on the web to publish solely for backlinks; HubPages is not one of them."

2. relache profile image85
    relacheposted 3 years ago

That article was published January 8, 2014, to comment on changes made in 2013.

I'm not sure all that advice still stands in the wake of the latest Google tweaks.

1. makingamark profile image64
      makingamarkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Agreed - the ONLY articles which are currently relevant are those that relates to the Penguin update which started to roll out last month.

Basically nothing earlier than November 2014 is relevant.

So, for example, this one published on Thursday 4th December is relevant and helpful given it has a flowchart to help people understand the differences between Panda and Penguin

http://searchengineland.com/site-hit-pa … ind-209384

NateB11posted 3 years agoin reply to this

You mean all those rules Google had prior are now irrelevant. Seems unlikely to me.

1. makingamark profile image64

That's NOT what I said at all.

The problem is that previous articles will include things which may well have been updated and changed in subsequent updates - so unless you know precisely what they are, any such links should be shared with caution.

It's exactly what you said, now you changed it. You get funnier by the minute.

In case your eyesight is bad here's me quoting you: "Basically nothing earlier than November 2014 is relevant."

1. Solaras profile image98
              Solarasposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I do believe that these articles tend to build on each other over the months and years.  Pros feel like they may be redundant, and leave off some good points that seem obvious to them and other pros, in favor of new discoveries. 

I think there is great value in both one year old and current articles, especially if the current article offers a new take on an old practice.  It helps one to understand the change and differences.

I agree with what you say, it only makes sense that the pro articles build on each other concerning Penguin / Backlinks.

I don't believe Google rolls out a brand new Penguin every time. It is the same software, but it has been updated (tweaked). I could be wrong.

2. NateB11 profile image92

Plus, all that flow chart gives is information on whether you've been hit by Penguin, not much on why; ironically in the few cases they refer to why, it is also covered in the article I posted. Hahaha! Funny stuff.

To top it off, the flow chart just tells you to consult an expert for the most part and then refers to other Moz articles at other points.

Not sure how this article you've posted is more helpful than the one I posted.

3. NateB11 profile image92

Here's one from the article I posted that I know is still relevant and most likely always will be: Don't spam blogs with spammy comments with spammy links. That's just off the top of my head. There's more.

1. Barbara Kay profile image91
          Barbara Kayposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Nate.

2. makingamark profile image64

Then there's "look at the source of the article and consider its status in the world of online comments on Google matters"........

we could go on smile

Right on, Nate.
            Google Penguin is about finding spam and unnatural links and giving penalties to websites where they find them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)