jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

Am I penalized for using HTML?

1. Ghaaz B profile image85
    Ghaaz Bposted 2 years ago

When I link out somewhere (anywhere, even wiki or something), I always use HTML so that it opens a new tab and they aren't directed away from my page. Is this a good or bad thing to be doing? Just wondering!

2. watergeek profile image91
    watergeekposted 2 years ago

That's a really good idea. I hadn't thought of that and would be interested in the comments of HP advisors or others who've tried it.

3. johndwilliams profile image85
    johndwilliamsposted 2 years ago

I use a HTML....

target="_blank"

... to open my outbound links. That way viewers are staying on my Hub rather than dissapearing into the ether!

Ghaaz Bposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, exactly. smile

I'm just wondering if HubPages views that as a good or a bad thing!

4. Joel Diffendarfer profile image93
    Joel Diffendarferposted 2 years ago

yes, that is a good question...anxious to hear some replies!  This would be good information to know.

5. DrMark1961 profile image94
    DrMark1961posted 2 years ago

Penalized in what way?

Just in the sense of a lower HubScore or whatever. I'm inclined to think it's a good idea to keep them on my hubs, but I just want to be sure it's not an underlying cause for some lower scores I might be experiencing.

1. DrMark1961 profile image94
        DrMark1961posted 2 years agoin reply to this

No, it does not effect your hub score nor your hubber score. You can use this code. It is one of the few that HP does not remove when you add it.

6. Sam Montana profile image84
    Sam Montanaposted 2 years ago

I wish that HubPages gave us a choice when making a link as to where to open the new tab.

I'm not sure if this will help, but it's the HTML command to open outbound links in a new tab. Simply fill it in with your own links and words and copy it into the HTML section of a text blurb:

<a href="LINK_HERE"_blank">Hyperlinked_Words_Here</a>

1. watergeek profile image91
        watergeekposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Super. I'll start using it too. Should there be quotation marks after " _blank"?

1. t aaron brown profile image78
          t aaron brownposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the quotation marks go before and after.  You also must use the command: target. Therefore, Ghaaz B has it wrong in the last post. It should read:

<a href="LINK_HERE" target="_blank">Hyperlinked_Words_Here</a>

1. watergeek profile image91
            watergeekposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Okie dokie. I'd better rewrite my note to myself. Thank you.

Thanks for the correction, Aaron. I wrote in haste! It can be so easy to make a mistake, and with more complicated code, it can be so much more frustrating! smile

1. t aaron brown profile image78
                t aaron brownposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I understand. As soon as I noticed the slight  mistake I wanted to put up the correction. Coding can be very frustrating when it keeps kicking it back and you are just one or two characters off.

Dude.. semantic errors, when the program is fully functional, just not for what you want it to do lol. So frustrating.

7. t aaron brown profile image78
    t aaron brownposted 2 years ago

I use that code and I think it is a benefit to HubPages, because it doesn't automatically closeout the HubPage and replace it with the other source.

working