OK, I edited and reorganized my first hub. So, what do you think now?

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Butch Tool profile image74
    Butch Toolposted 9 years ago

OK, I went through and added lots of text boxes so I could insert the Amazon ads and pictures more aesthetically. I also updated the content a bit to try to make the keywords not seem so awkward. Additionally, I broke the large blocks of text into smaller sections (some are still fairly big, but considerably better than before) and added some italic font to the main points. What do you think? Thanks.

http://butchtool.hubpages.com/hub/Corpo … nd-Forever

P.S. I also added quotation marks around "bestest" since I want to show that it isn't an accidental grammar error. Does anyone know if saying "bestest" friend vs. bestest friend" changes the way google looks at that as a keyword? I know that when I search it seems that periods existing on the given sites don't always matter in the results, but I am not sure about whether quotations in the content matter (I know if you search with quotations it makes a difference to the results, though).

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
      LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hello BT. I didn't see your hub before your recent edit, but I just took a look at it now.

I don't really understand why you chose to use the term 'bestest'. I doubt anyone googling for advice about corporate gift baskets would include 'bestest' in their search term. What do you see as being the appeal in that word?

Instead of using such an ungainly word, I suggest you replace it with 'New Best Friend' or something similar ... and drop the word 'forever'.

I didn't watch the video, but I wouldn't be including the word 'racist' in this type of hub. I suggest you should try and find a different video.

Also, I see no advantage (and a few disadvantages) to relying on italics. You could quite simply break a few of those paragraphs into two, and then the point you are trying to stress would be more obvious (ie positioned at beginning or end of a paragraph.)

A good writer doesn't need to rely on italics. Present your information as clearly as you can, and have a little more confidence in the ability of readers to understand what you are saying.

Good luck. smile

Butch Toolposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will go through and update it pretty soon.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Butch:

I really like this article, but here are some improvements to consider:

only use "." when you have a list.  (This is probably a typo on your part)
      Your title is way too long...something like "Corporate Gift Baskets | Choose Them Carefully" gets the idea across without all of the frills.

The same is true for your capsule headings.  You need to shorten them.

I also would get rid of bolded and italicized words, their use is no longer good for online articles.

Also, make your ads full width to match your photos.  This makes your article more mobile device friendly.

You are not exactly attributing your photo capsules correctly:  you must name the photo, it's license and where it came from on the first line and the URL on the second line to do it right.

None of these are major corrections, but all will enhance your article and make it score and rank higher.  Good job!

Thanks for the suggestions. I went through and made some modifications, but I may change it more later when I have more time.

With regard to the photo capsules, I simply entered the source in the "Name of source (optional)" and site link where I found it in the "Source URL (optional)" as are the options when I go in to the editing page. I see 3 boxes asking for the "Caption (optional)" (which I assume is the text describing the picture), Name of Source, and Source URL.

It seems that the system automatically put the caption first and source on the lower line, as well as making the Source Name automatically the link for the Source URL. How do I change this?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

You cannot change it.  All you have to do is put the correct information on each line.  Although the word "optional" appears, it is not a good idea to avoid or partially negate using proper accreditation.  There is a section on this in the learning center you ought to read because it explains this much better than I can.

So, you have your photo,, the name, license, and other info on line one, the http on line two, and the caption in the box after line two.  How it comes up on screen is how it should look.  For example, you would have the photo, the source as shown in the following example, and the http, but only the caption and the source line will appear under the photo of your post.

An example of a teardrop trailer. (caption)
          Source: Liftham, CC-BY-3.0, self pub, via commons.wikimedia.org (source line)

I avoid doing as much of this as possible by using photos from Pixabay and Morguefile, which are free public domain photo sites that do not require accreditation.  Saves me a ton of work, and they have great photos, all of which you can edit.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what I am doing wrong....isn't that how my photos are appearing? With the caption followed by the source?

For example:
            "Now this is a nice, healthy fruit basket. Lots of variety to suit anyone's taste. A good example of how intriguing and unique corporate gift baskets can be. (caption)
            Source: By BGalore, via Wikimedia Commons"
            and
            "A colorful assortment is always nice when used as company gifts. Things that don't spoil will always be welcomed, as they are easier to re-purpose, if needed.
            Source: By Cullen328, via Wikimedia Commons"

The source name is hyperlinked to the website source.

I am not sure exactly how what I am doing is different than what you are referencing in your example. Do you mean I have to actually include the http://whicheverwebsite.com in the source name so it shows in the text of the source section even though it is already hyperlinked to that site?

So, in one of the examples from above, I would need it to be:
            "Now this is a nice, healthy fruit basket. Lots of variety to suit anyone's taste. A good example of how intriguing and unique corporate gift baskets can be. (caption)
            Source: By BGalore, via Wikimedia Commons at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File% … .jpg" ?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

If it is required by the site, you must show the license as well as the other info you mentioned..  There is another thread here by Catherine Giordano that just showed up that it explains all of this more clearly.  Kristy Kirwan, one of our moderators, does the explaining.  Maybe that will clear this up for you.

Also, you really need to read the info in the HP learning center about this and refer to it as needed.  That is how I found out I was doing it wrong awhile back.

I would also suggest looking at the images in some of the hubs by Writer Fox and Patty Inglish to see how they do it.  They are two of the best writers on this site.

2. Butch Tool profile image74

Oh, actually, I realized that maybe I need to include the CC2 or CC3 or whatever category of sharing the photo is under. Is that the main part I'm missing?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)