jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Photo uploads and image orientation

1. Titia profile image94
    Titiaposted 2 years ago

Yesterday I uploaded a square photo and it rotated to the right after uploading. Today I'm updating another hub and find another photo that has been rotated to the right. This one is a vertical photo.
    Does anybody else have this problem?

I've solved it by rotating the original on my computer to the left and then upload it and because it's been rotated to the right while uploading it's showing alright.

I would like to know why this happens.
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12318998.jpg

1. Matthew Meyer profile image76
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

As others have stated, photos can contain orientation data, your solution of of rotating them to the orientation you want before upload should work.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

Sometimes pictures retain orientation information from when they were originally taken.  I am sure there is a more "correct" way to fix this, but my quick fix is to change the file format (e.g. from jpg to gif). This always seems to make them behave.

3. C L Mitchell profile image99
    C L Mitchellposted 2 years ago

I've had the same problem. Just be aware that your fix of re-orientating the image does not always work, which can lead to much frustration! In some cases I have had images that have finally uploaded correctly the 3rd or 4th time trying. But the other day I had one that was just being really stubborn and wouldn't work no matter what I did. But when I tried it again the next day it worked. Maybe it had something to do with re-booting my computer?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image76
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That does seem odd. If you have an example photo that you have changed/confirmed the orientation, let us know what program you are using and the process to orient the image. In most cases, supporting the orientation information is useful, but I understand it can be frustrating and hard to tell how a file is oriented in some cases (and not all devices support the data or generate it).

1. C L Mitchell profile image99
        C L Mitchellposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I use JPEG images and usually use windows photo viewer to orient them.  i haven't raised this as an issue because it seems to be quite random and infrequent when the problem happens and it usually resolves itself after a few tries or if I change the orientation of the image.
        I had particular issues with a photo of cocoa in this hub http://clmitchell.hubpages.com/hub/Sati … ix-Recipe. But it eventually resolved itself.

working