jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

Google Analytics Statistics vs Hubpages Statistics

1. Loris Bagnara profile image81
    Loris Bagnaraposted 2 years ago

Hello, does anybody noticed a huge difference between Google Analitics statistics reports, and Hubpages statistics reports?
    In my case, over the same period, Google Analitics reports a number of visitors 4 times larger than that reported by Hubpages.
    Can anybody explain why?
    Thanks

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 2 years ago in reply to this

GA works on a static 24 hours.
      HP works on a rolling 24 hours.

Loris Bagnaraposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, but sorry, I'm not so technical to underdstand the difference between "static" and "rolling"... Can you explain it what does it mean, practically?
        Thank you.

1. NateB11 profile image92
          NateB11posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Google Analytics tells you what views you got in one day; from 12am Sunday to 12 am Monday. Hubpages tells you what views you got in the past 24 hours; meaning, like right now it's about 4:30pm where I am, so it would be telling me views from 4:30pm yesterday to now.

Anybody, correct me if I'm wrong, that's how I understand it.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image76
            Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That is accurate.

Thanks, Matthew, I've been wondering if I had that right.

2. Loris Bagnara profile image81

Very clear, I understood.
            But it doesn't explain the huge difference between GA and HP statistics over a long period, I mean months.
            In my case, over a period of about 8 months, with 5 hubs, HP statistics reports less than 400 visits, while GA statistics reports more than 1400 visits...
            Is it normal, in your opinion? I think it is not...

I don't know, I can only speculate. It's possible GA counts views that HP does not; for instance, referral spam; referral spam are views/ sites that show up in GA that are sent from sites that just send traffic to your site so that you will click the link of theirs that show up on GA. Maybe HP filters those views out, don't know. It came to mind because on my own sites I get a lot of that referral spam; on at least one of my sites, the majority of the views are from referral spam, only a couple (a day) from actual visitors from a search engine.

2. Colin Quartermain profile image87
    Colin Quartermainposted 2 years ago

on two separate days last week, 50% of my total views came from referral spam, so I now expect that Hub stats will be a lot less than GA

Thank you all, I think that referral spam is the answer to the question I raised.
      But now, I wonder, what is the use of GA analytics, if its data are completely polluted by spam?

You can filter stats on GA so that it doesn't count views from certain sites and IP addresses. I can't remember at the moment how to do that, I have done it so that it doesn't count views from my own IP address.

3. Engelta profile image70
    Engeltaposted 2 years ago

Neither of  them are quite alright but I think Google Analytics has better statistics and closer to the real ones.

working