jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (10 posts)

Adding citation.

1. adevwriting profile image76
    adevwritingposted 2 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to add citation on a hub?

Thanks

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The method you use is up to you, but one of the options is to use footnotes with your sources.

adevwritingposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Can you please show some example hubs so that I can better understand this?

Thanks!

1. flycatcherrr profile image80
          flycatcherrrposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Don't know if this is the kind of thing you have in mind, but you can use a Link List quite handily for general citations, e.g. a list of references and/or endnotes.

Example:  my hub on the Osprey (you can find it via my profile page) where I've used the Link List module at the bottom to refer readers to the key sources used in researching the content: "Learn More About the Osprey - Resources / References" it's called.

Alternatively, for individual footnotes, you could simply use the Text modules to give your (numbered) references, placed directly below the content to which it refers.

And if you want to cite the source of images, it's easiest to use the "Name of Source,"  "Source URL," and "Caption" fields in the Image module itself.

If you can be a bit more specific about what kind of citation you have in mind, and what kind of material you'd like to cite, it might be easier to give you a bit more help.

For hubs related to science and technology?

I've used the links capsule in this hub http://adevwriting.hubpages.com/hub/Ele … using-cars
            Is the above what you meant when you said " Don't know if this is the kind of thing you have in mind, but you can use a Link List quite handily for general citations, e.g. a list of references and/or endnotes."

1. flycatcherrr profile image80
              flycatcherrrposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that's the kind of Link List usage I meant.  That looks like it works well in your Electric Vehicle hub.

Just one tiny note, though, if you don't mind - I'd be inclined to say "References" rather than "Citation" in the module title, as the term "citation" is more likely to refer to a specific item (e.g. a note about the source of a quotation) rather than to a source material that was consulted in a more general way.

But to your original point, yes, that use of the Link List seems a useful/appropriate way to acknowledge the resources you consulted for your research and, most importantly, it's helpful to the reader who wants to dive in to more detail.

Thanks for your advice!

2. Matthew Meyer profile image77
          Matthew Meyerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Here are some Hubs and other site content related to citation.
          http://hubpages.com/search/?s=citation

2. Marisa Wright profile image99
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years agoin reply to this

HubPages is not Wikipedia, and Hubs are not academic papers.  You do not need to add formal citations at all.  What you must do is acknowledge where you got the material from, in the way that will make most sense to your reader.

In most cases, the simplest way to do it is to provide a link to the original document, if it's online.  That's the type of citation which will most benefit the originating site, too.

Thank you!

working