So no more than one Amazon product per hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

HubPages is primarily informational. Users need to be educated, informed or guided in so after they have spent significant time consuming the information, they may click through to purchase a single well chosen product because the guidance is so high quality. That would be a good use of placing an Amazon product guided by today's standards. Paul Edmondson

This quote comes from Paul Edmondson's new hub "Challenges With Products in Hubs" http://hubpages.com/community/Challenge … oduct-Hubs

That in effect means that anybody - such as me - who has developed compendium hubs over the years (ie lots of information on a niche topic which is difficult to find in one place online) + links to more information + links to very relevant Amazon products on this precise niche topic = c.10,000 words per hub) is no longer seen as relevant to HubPages.

That might be so - but I suggest that's more of an issue to do with HubPages than it is to do with  this particular model for sharing information.

That's because compendiums - which compile and curate information from all over the internet - have been recognised for a while as something that is a valuable exercise.  It's why I always got the bulk of my traffic via Google and it's why the limited amount of content which has moved is now getting 3-4 times the traffic it had while on HubPages.

My model of information sharing is what I started doing with my now very popular art blog nearly 10 years ago and it's how I developed lenses while with Squidoo. It was very pleasing sometime after I started doing this to find that a number of leading commentators were suggesting that CURATION is the new important skill for writing on the web.

However I've never been persuaded that HubPages "get" curation and/or compendiums. This is reinforced by the quotation above which seems to suggest that the single product review seems to be the model being promoted by HubPages.  It's reinforced even more by the number of unfeatured hubs I've had in the last few days.

Those of us who got here via Squidoo will recall a similar initiative about single product reviews on that site........

Curators and compendiums would appear to of zero appeal to HubPages. The writing is on the wall....... exit stage left!

(PS When am i going to be able to see quotations while using the Chrome browser on an Apple iMac?)

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well, thanks for sharing the link. After reading that hub, I am inclined to delete almost all of my few Amazon capsules. I've only made sales on a few of them, so unlike you, it won't make much difference to me. I've always made a lot more from the HP Adprogram than from Amazon.

If this is a non-starter for you, good luck in your other endeavors.

2. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Suppose someone emails you offering to write content for your site.  His specialty is celebrity plastic surgery disasters.

You would probably tell him no because your site is about painting and drawing.

Suppose he insists that "number of leading commentators are suggesting that celebrity plastic surgery disasters is the new important skill for writing on the web."

You would probably say you don't care because your site is about art. 

Now suppose he writes long missives about how unfair it is that you won't let you write about the latest lop-sided boob job disaster.

You would probably tell him it's your site and you make the rules, and that if he wants to write about the worst nose jobs in Hollywood etc he should make his own blog.

Suppose he says that he does have is own site and it is super duper successful, thank you very much.  But he wants to write on your site too.

You would probably think this guy is a little bonkers, no?

makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think you've gone off on a tangent. To avoid any confusion let me make it clear I've absolutely no complaint whatsoever at all about:
      * people/sites who invite contributions and are very transparent and consistent about the rules
      * plus communicate clearly the ways in which a hub does not measure up - if this happens.

To clarify - for those who are confused - I'm commenting on what appears to be a CHANGE in approach.

That change means that my hubs are not going to work well on HubPages in future - despite the fact I make payment every month and then some.

My view is that there are a number of ways you can be successful on the internet.

HubPages have their view about what's best for HubPages - and good luck to them.  Others have alternative views - but then they highlight these experiences in relation to to different sites which are not very large content farms. What applies to a large site like HubPages and what works for much smaller sites can be very different.

So I'm puzzled about your comment. It seems to me you're missed the point. Maybe you're suggesting people shouldn't comment on any change of approach by HubPages and/or how it impacts on them and/or experience from elsewhere?

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure you understand perfectly well what I am saying. There are much better uses of your energy than to beat the same dead horse every day.  Since you  have other marketable skills, is it really worth it to complain that HP is no longer as accepting of curated list-style Amazon-heavy hubs as it was in the past?

I think 'free speech' is alive and well last time I looked.

To characterise something as "the same dead horse" is to suggest that the content of what I am saying is meaningless and has no value.

Could that be interpreted as a personal attack?

If you're so bored of reading what I have to say can I suggest you just skip my posts in future?

How I spend my time is up to me. You have no need to worry about me using my skills elsewhere - I'm doing just that.  smile

1. profile image0
            calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I can read and comment on whatever I like, including you highness's posts.

Feel free to flag my posts as you see fit, I am happy to let the moderators judge.

Mountains and molehills spring to mind.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Surely you realize that HP is undergoing massive changes of all kinds in an attempt to stay afloat.  When companies do this, somebody always gets hurt for one reason or another.  It may not seem right or fair, but it is how things are in the world.

This reminds me of something that happened recently.  A friend came to me for advice about a friend of his who was being harassed by his neighbors in his condominium.  The reason?  He is disabled and was told that he could have a service animal.  A dog was suggested, but instead, he chose a pig.  Not one of those cute little ones, but the type that will grow to be 400 pounds!  He feels harassed, but his neighbors feel that his pig is a bad choice given the living circumstances.

So, they are at a stalemate.  He refuses to get rid of the pig.  He refuses to move.  He is upset, the neighbors are upset, lawsuits will probably ensue, it will cost everybody a good deal of money, etc.

All because one person does not want to (or cannot) understand that there are other people his actions are affecting.

The question is, is it worth it?

In my mind, the guy either needs to get rid of the pig or move to a place where pigs are acceptable neighbors.  Complaining consistently or asking for advice are not going to resolve this issue.

You have to make that same decision.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

I have a feeling that you want to be helpful and make useful points, Makingamark but your style is guaranteed to drive a lot of people crazy.

I can drive people crazy too, of course, but it is usually through choice (good to have options in life).

I think less formatting might help.

Bold tends to come across as SHOUTING. Italics always makes me think of cats hissing. Apostrophes make me think someone has blown a fuse. I can't get through that stuff to what the person is trying to say.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)