Should I Leave Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. alahiker28 profile image87
    alahiker28posted 3 years ago

I have over 50 featured articles on HubPages. Many of them have received comments indicating that I am a very good writer, etc. I did used to make money on HubPages but then the rules changed about Amazon product links and referral trackers. I went from making dollars a day to making less than a dime a day. It takes hours and sometimes days to research and perfect a good article. We can't all write for free. Then I see profiles of folks earning good money on Hubpages. Is my writing that bad or am I just missing something about the new Hub world without Amazon product links and referral trackers. Is anyone really making money?

1. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I'm guessing that your traffic has fallen because you wrote a lot of travel articles but people have stopped travelling due to the pandemic.  There is no need to leave HubPages.  Try to write articles that are relevant to people's experiences now, what they are searching for information on now and I am sure that your traffic will pick up again for those articles.  Once the pandemic has subsided and people start travelling again, the traffic on your travel articles will start to rise.

Also, ad budgets have been slashed at most companies so CPM has fallen on the ads on our articles.  For instance, my traffic is way up compared to last year, but I am making barely more money than I did last year because CPM is down so much.

Hang in there.  Don't get discouraged.  This is a difficult time for all of us.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You can always just take a break and leave your articles here. Unless you have a better purpose for them, there is no reason to take them down.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
    DrMark1961posted 3 years ago

Hi Vicki yes some of us do earn a decent salary from this site. It has to be taken seriously, though, as an almost full time job.
    So should you leave? I cannot answer that as the decision on whether or not you want to keep writing is very personal and up to you. I do have some suggestions, however, and you of course are free to accept them or ignore them.
    1. Write more articles. This may seem to go against what you wish. You have been on this site over 10 years and only have published about 7 articles a year. You would have to be very good at SEO and have some amazing titles for that few to earn a decent income.
    2. Write things that have more traffic. At least 20% of your articles need to be earners, and if you focus on creative writing and recipes you will not earn much.
    3. Write what you know. If this is about hiking, great. If the articles provide some legal advice because of your work experience, they may do even better. I cannot tell you which are going to do best, as you will just have to write see how they do.
    4. Write so that all of your articles are promoted to a network site. If your articles languish on Hubpages, they are never going to see great traffic. (If moved to a niche site your traffic may not be great but at least it has a better chance of being ranked.) Are you submitting your older HP articles to a niche site every 2 weeks?
    5. Make sure your bio is relevant to the article. I just read your article about deaths during hiking and climbing. If I was a searcher and I pulled up the article, I would have bounced out of there as soon as I read that the author was a paralegal that likes to write. So what? Does she even know anything about hiking? Has she even been out of her living room? If we do not immediately grab the readers attention, and he or she bounces out before the ads even have time to load, no impression will be gained and you will not earn from that page view.
    Yes, it does take hours, at least. It usually takes me several weeks to put something together. Your writing is a lot better than many of the things that I read on this site. It just has to be found.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image70
      Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agreed with Dr. Mark.

2. Shalumba profile image61
      Shalumbaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I recently joined Hubpages and I was honestly wondering if people do earn significant amounts of money on this site. This is very encouraging to hear from DrMark. Thank you

1. profile image0
        Marisa Writesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I should point out that DrMark is a professional who, I firmly believe, would be making even more money if he'd started his own website when he started writing here.   

Also, he writes on a subject that's suitable for PetHelpful, which is one of HubPages' most successful niche sites.   

That may be another change that you've missed over the years.  HubPages.com is just a holding pen now.  Google hates it. It's rare for an article on the main site to make money.  If you can identify suitable niche sites for your existing articles on HubPages, it would be worth revising them and submitting them to be moved. 

However your articles on politics and society, philosophy and personal development would all do better on Medium.com.   As for fiction - look for a story writing site.  You won't make any  money, but you will get more readers.

3. bhattuc profile image85
    bhattucposted 3 years ago

Good points DrMark, thanks.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Leave when you find another site that will pay you better for the same investment, that's the logical thing to do.

5. alahiker28 profile image87
    alahiker28posted 3 years ago

I have reviewed the purported money makers on HubPages. HubPages profiles them as money makers while simultaneously stating don't write for HubPages if you want to make money. It's contradictory at best. In any event, in reviewing the "money makers" I do see niches. I also see those niches still have Amazon product capsules which under the new rules, aren't allowed. Most of mine have been singled out by Hub editors and removed so I'm curious about whether any sweeping effort was made to ensure continuity about this rule for all Hubbers or I'm just the lucky one.  I made $10 at a time with some of my 'relevant' Amazon product capsules before there were banished. They seem to get removed every time one of my Hubs is 'promoted' to an affiliate site.  Does anyone have any personal experience with this?

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Is that what gave you the idea that the Amazon program could no longer be used? Yes, rules change, but if you learn to adapt they are easy enough to live with.
      There are plenty of people that stlll earn with Amazon. Look at the profile for theraggededge, Glenn Stoc, Paul Goodman,  lobobrandon. (I cant think of others off the top of my head.)
      By the way, you have not looked at the money makers if you are just seeing those profiles on the front page. They asked before choosing those profiles and that is certainly not everyone.

2. profile image0
      Marisa Writesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's happened to me too.  Product capsules are still allowed but there are new rules around how to use them. 

They were probably snipped because you didn't offer a personal recommendation for the product. The new rule is that you must  have  personal experience of the product and explain why you're recommending it.   

In practice, of course, they can't prove whether you've ever owned the product or not.  Just be careful to sound as though you have.

There is nothing to stop you putting the capsules back in, if you follow that rule.   The worst that can happen is that they'll snip it again. 

Also, if you use an in-text link rather than a capsule, it's much more likely to get approved.

6. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 3 years ago

@Vicki-  From what I can see, you are a good writer who is making some poor choices with her content. If earning is your goal, anyway.

Writers who earn well here have a few things in common.

They write about topics lots of people want to read about.

They are knowledgeable about their topics, either because they are professionals, everyday experts, or willing to do extensive research.

They understand how to do simple keyword research.

They know how to craft good headlines.

They understand basic on-page SEO.

They put in the work and write lots of content to the best of their ability.

I think some small tweaks to your current articles and future publications will change your fortunes around here. I'd start by following Dr. Mark's advice above. Then, learn everything you can about what makes an article successful on the web.

As for Amazon (sigh) there is still some money to be made there, and if you want your affiliate links to be accepted you just have to follow the rules. You can definitely do well without it, though.

So, don't quit! You have a lot of potential. You just have to tighten it up a little if earning is you goal. Good luck!

7. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago

Dr Mark makes some excellent points in my humble opinion, as does Eric Docket and others.

Adaptability is an important thing. If your aim is to earn, you have to see what works and go with the flow. Sometimes that means making some radical changes, or even abandoning articles or topics that you feel strongly about but don't work, and going in another direction. It's pretty brutal. And even more difficult to judge because things go up and down due to a variety of factors, often outside your control, and sometimes fairly dramatically over time.

As far as Amazon goes, you really want to write an article where you give out some solid, practical information and can link to a couple of products which you believe are helpful and related. It sounds easy, but I still find it difficult after years of trying. In the old days, it was relatively easy, you could do hard sell lists and earn money. It's a lot tougher nowadays, which is why many of us write more info-only articles. smile

Unsexy articles like how to replace the filter on a specific model of washer-dryer will often work better than giving your political or religious views, or a poem, in my experience, but there are no rules to it, people write about pets, or tattoos and do well. The lack of clear rules makes it both fun and frustrating.

I feel like I treat it as a full-time job, but only earn the money of a pretty non-lucrative part-time job like a cleaner. The only really good thing is that I can take breaks or travel and still have some money coming in.

Having said all that, just leave if you want to. It's up to you. People come and go from this place. smile

1. CYong74 profile image95
      CYong74posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I like the description, "unsexy." smile

As like so many things in life, unsexy things don't pay very well, but also tend to pay regularly. A matter of what you're aiming for in life or within this platform, I guess.

8. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 3 years ago

You've got some really good advice here, some of the best I've seen on these forums in quite a while, a few years at least. You're lucky and you would be wise to look into each one of them. Dr. Mark has some really good points and Marisa is right about some of your articles doing better elsewhere.

One of the tricks to doing well on a platform is knowing what works well on it. Each of us knows from experience what kind of articles rank well and bring in the traffic. Do you see your poetry getting a lot of traffic? I guess not, but you continued to write a lot of it. Most people love publishing, but from your original question it seems that you would like some sort of payment for the time you spent, HP is not that place when it comes to poetry.

To give you an example on some of the advice you already received, take these two articles:
    Emotional Abuse in the Workplace
    What's Killing America's Hikers?

How do you intend to get traffic to them? Would it be through social shares? If yes, they may do well if people see the titles in front of them. No one is going to find them through search engines, the source of most traffic to the niche sites. You need to craft better titles and also write the content so that answers to search queries are fulfilled through your article.

I'm currently walking to work, ignore any sentences that don't really read well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)