jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

Adding Tabs or Spaces to Lines

1. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 20 months ago

Is there any way of adding tabs or spaces to lines of text?
    I want to center justify text in a mathematical hub, but don't see any way of doing this. If I display the HTML  in the text module editor, can I add code to do this?

1. Ilonagarden profile image86
      Ilonagardenposted 20 months ago in reply to this

the only way I see to center things is by using the "callout" module. It is limited to 500 characters per each one.

eugbugposted 20 months ago in reply to this

I probably have more than 500 characters in most text modules so unfortunately can't use that. Also the callout module doesn't allow formatting of text.
        I tried using the <p align="center"> tag in the HTML code but this isn't saved when the save button is clicked.

2. SheilaMilne profile image90
      SheilaMilneposted 20 months ago in reply to this

There is a non-breaking space in the Special symbols option. It could be a bit tedious using that to format a module though.

Hi Sheila. I tried the &NBSB character but it just gets filtered out by the editor and the resulting text doesn't display the spaces.

2. Glenn Stok profile image94
    Glenn Stokposted 20 months ago

eugbug - If you want to center justify a large amount of text, you can use the table capsule. I use it in several of my hubs for this purpose.

Just reduce the table to one column and one row. In other words, so that it has only one cell remaining. Then specify that the text in that cell should be centered. Actually, the first row is defaulted to centered text anyway.

Copy your text into the cell and save the capsule. You can also specify a blueish background, which I find is kind of neat to do, as it stands out nicely.

Hi Glenn. The problem with the table module is that lines appear, but maybe they can be turned off?
      This is how I want text to appear:

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12838248_f248.jpg

(Don't know why image isn't stretching to fit width of thread)

Anyway allowing align in the "p" tag of the HTML code would probably be the easiest solution. I don't understand the point of adding an HTML code editing feature to text modules, if basic code changes cannot be made.

1. Glenn Stok profile image94
        Glenn Stokposted 20 months ago in reply to this

The problem with using HTML code is that many things we try to use get filtered out. I am an HTML programmer and have tried various things in the past with trying to control the presentation of text in capsules. So I know what you are going through.

As for the table capsule, you are right about the lines. But I was able to eliminate them by using just one cell. A header cell. Experiment with it.

Will do. The other option is to compose stuff with equations in Word or use a graphics package and paste it as an image into hubs.

working