jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Holy Cow! PetHelpful must be free of HubPages' Google Slap!

1. Kylyssa profile image98
    Kylyssaposted 21 months ago

I just glanced at my stats a few minutes ago and saw something startling. My piece on porcupine puffers that was moved to PetHelpful has seen a tenfold increase in traffic! And all the new traffic is from Google!

I've felt the traffic to HubPages was somehow throttled by Google for quite some time because the number of views that a few specific hubs were getting from Google were oddly regular. Instead of the expected ups and downs as the popularity of searches on the topics waxed and waned, they seemed to hit a maximum number of views from Google, never to exceed that number. In the past, the puffer fish article had seen Google views that were anywhere from single digits daily to four digits daily, but once it moved to HubPages, it only saw views from Google that seemed to max out at a certain two digit number and seemed to stay in a very specific range. It's never, ever gotten views on HubPages like it's gotten today.

1. kenneth avery profile image85
      kenneth averyposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I am very proud for you. Enjoy a bit of your success for me Thanks.

Kylyssaposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Thank you. I didn't do anything special, the hub got moved to PetHelpful a week or so ago and suddenly its views are more like what I'm used to seeing on my information pieces online. It looks like these niche sites really are the key to getting rid of the Google slap!

There's more exciting news. If you look at the Aquarium topic page on PetHelpful, my hub is not at the top of the "popular" hubs for the topic, which means the hubs that are above it must be seeing a substantial uptick in views, too!

I guess I just had to see some sign that these niches would provide the distance needed to disassociate hubs from HubPages enough to get rid of the Google slap before I could feel they were worthwhile.

2. sallybea profile image99
      sallybeaposted 21 months agoin reply to this

So pleased for you.

Thank you. It's like a spigot just got turned back on after eighteen months of it just dripping. I hope everybody sees something similar soon.

3. NateB11 profile image95
      NateB11posted 21 months agoin reply to this

Very cool.

1. Jean Bakula profile image100
        Jean Bakulaposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Really happy for you!

4. GiftsByDiana profile image37
      GiftsByDianaposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Nice to hear !

2. paradigmsearch profile image93
    paradigmsearchposted 21 months ago

Yep. Page one of Google you are. And near the top at that. Congrats!

Thanks for checking. That makes me very happy.

I can't wait to see what views are like for everybody once more niche sites get going! It's just one unusual day, but I've seen zero Google surges like it on any piece I have on HubPages before. I've only seen real traffic spikes from Bing, Yahoo, and assorted social media sites since my move to HubPages.

I hope everybody sees a return to a more normal number Google views on the niche sites.

Didn't you once mention you thought Google might be throttling views to HubPages, paradigmsearch?

1. paradigmsearch profile image93
        paradigmsearchposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Actually that was another Hubber who was famous for that. big_smile  Though I agreed. So does the HP Powers That Be, though they use different words.

3. Will Apse profile image93
    Will Apseposted 21 months ago

We have seen some people who have seen traffic rise and some who have seen traffic fall after the move to niches. On the whole, it seems positive news but I am looking forward to some real stats from HP.

Guessing that they will wait at least six weeks after launch.

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 21 months agoin reply to this

I'm sure that they will.  I'm guessing that the old "Google boost" to something new applies, which means it will take a while to settle down.  I know that my one hub on the pets niche has about doubled it's meager traffic, but don't know how long that will last.

4. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 21 months ago

That is great news Kylyssa. Well done.

5. janshares profile image99
    jansharesposted 21 months ago

Happy for you, Kylyssa. Very cool, always keep hope alive.

working