Holy Cow! PetHelpful must be free of HubPages' Google Slap!

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Kylyssa profile image89
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

I just glanced at my stats a few minutes ago and saw something startling. My piece on porcupine puffers that was moved to PetHelpful has seen a tenfold increase in traffic! And all the new traffic is from Google!

I've felt the traffic to HubPages was somehow throttled by Google for quite some time because the number of views that a few specific hubs were getting from Google were oddly regular. Instead of the expected ups and downs as the popularity of searches on the topics waxed and waned, they seemed to hit a maximum number of views from Google, never to exceed that number. In the past, the puffer fish article had seen Google views that were anywhere from single digits daily to four digits daily, but once it moved to HubPages, it only saw views from Google that seemed to max out at a certain two digit number and seemed to stay in a very specific range. It's never, ever gotten views on HubPages like it's gotten today.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am very proud for you. Enjoy a bit of your success for me Thanks.

Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I didn't do anything special, the hub got moved to PetHelpful a week or so ago and suddenly its views are more like what I'm used to seeing on my information pieces online. It looks like these niche sites really are the key to getting rid of the Google slap!

There's more exciting news. If you look at the Aquarium topic page on PetHelpful, my hub is not at the top of the "popular" hubs for the topic, which means the hubs that are above it must be seeing a substantial uptick in views, too!

I guess I just had to see some sign that these niches would provide the distance needed to disassociate hubs from HubPages enough to get rid of the Google slap before I could feel they were worthwhile.

2. sallybea profile image97
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So pleased for you.

Thank you. It's like a spigot just got turned back on after eighteen months of it just dripping. I hope everybody sees something similar soon.

3. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very cool.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Really happy for you!

4. GiftsByDiana profile image48
      GiftsByDianaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Nice to hear !

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

Yep. Page one of Google you are. And near the top at that. Congrats!

Thanks for checking. That makes me very happy.

I can't wait to see what views are like for everybody once more niche sites get going! It's just one unusual day, but I've seen zero Google surges like it on any piece I have on HubPages before. I've only seen real traffic spikes from Bing, Yahoo, and assorted social media sites since my move to HubPages.

I hope everybody sees a return to a more normal number Google views on the niche sites.

Didn't you once mention you thought Google might be throttling views to HubPages, paradigmsearch?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually that was another Hubber who was famous for that. big_smile  Though I agreed. So does the HP Powers That Be, though they use different words.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

We have seen some people who have seen traffic rise and some who have seen traffic fall after the move to niches. On the whole, it seems positive news but I am looking forward to some real stats from HP.

Guessing that they will wait at least six weeks after launch.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure that they will.  I'm guessing that the old "Google boost" to something new applies, which means it will take a while to settle down.  I know that my one hub on the pets niche has about doubled it's meager traffic, but don't know how long that will last.

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

That is great news Kylyssa. Well done.

5. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Happy for you, Kylyssa. Very cool, always keep hope alive.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)