jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Why I can`t embed an image from gettyimages?

1. Kiane profile image83
    Kianeposted 16 months ago

Hello, everyone)) Maybe you can help me. Gettyimages is a great source of images and it`s allowed to embed the image to any forum, blog etc, as it`s written on their site. But when I pasted the code (import an image), it was written "unrecognized file type". Will it be ok if I save an image to a computer and then just paste the link to a site of the photographer?
    http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13060941.jpg

1. lions44 profile image96
      lions44posted 16 months agoin reply to this

The Getty images watermark signifies "ownership," and you would be liable.
      Just a heads up: many of the images, particularly of WWII, that Getty watermarks can be obtained elsewhere. I don't know how they get away with watermarking Army Signal Corps photos and other images in the public domain. But it's ridiculous. 
      Look around for the same photos.  Type in the subject of the photo and I guarantee you will find a free image somewhere.

1. Kiane profile image83
        Kianeposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Thank you)))

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
      LuisEGonzalezposted 16 months agoin reply to this

It could also be a glitch. The same thing was happening to a few of us about a week ago.
      But do also keep in mind not to use watermarked images (not allowed on HP) and be sure that the copyright says its OK to use (even commercially)

2. Marisa Wright profile image95
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 months ago

Never, ever use images from Getty Images.  They will sue you.

You may not be aware that ALL photos on websites are copyright, UNLESS there is a statement somewhere on the site saying otherwise.  If you use a copyright photo you are breaking the law.

In practice, most websites won't follow up and you'll get away with the theft.  But some websites are very vigilant, and Getty Images is the most vigilant of all. And under copyright law, you could end up having to pay thousands in compensation!

1. Kiane profile image83
      Kianeposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Marisa Wright, thank you for your feedback! I have to be careful. So far I`ve been using images from Wikimedia Commons, Flickr and screens from youtube videos. Always give a link to the site of an author.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
        LuisEGonzalezposted 16 months agoin reply to this

No matter where your images come from ,make sure that the copyright says that you can use it and how you can use it.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 16 months ago

Getty allows embedding (legally) from here:

http://www.gettyimages.com/resources/embed

I wouldn't use Getty images in any other way, as Marisa says.

I don't think HP allow this method (HTML) so it might not be very helpful for hubbers.

working