I'd like feedback on my Hub: Summer Party Tips: Throw a Successful Backyard Part

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Liam Stursberg profile image58
    Liam Stursbergposted 7 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Summer Party Tips: Throw a Successful Backyard Party (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Your title uses a colon and repeats the word "party" two times.  This is key word stuffing and is never a good idea.

Your photo should not be the first thing people see, but rather the second.  Place content above it, an be sure to give the photo a caption an proper accreditation.

The list you present is fairly common knowledge.  There is little that is original, so this hub  most likely will not draw much traffic if featured.

Your subtitles don't match in terms of structure.  They should all line up with similar type wordage.

You need more photos, at least one video and a poll or some other addition.

Basically, you language and structure are good, but if you're going to write about throwing a summer party, you need to add some original ideas and, perhaps, talk about throwing a "themed" part such as,
      "How to throw a Successful Summer's Here Party" or some such.  Then talk about items you will use that relate directly to that type of get together that you will use, such as, perhaps, having a symbolic book burning.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image92
        Jesse Drzalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There is no evidence that a photo above the fold is a penalty on articles. Many articles written by successful Hubbers have a photo at the top. There is no evidence of Google penalty either.

If you read what Marisa wrote below, it explains further why this may not be a good idea.

Also, the reason I said this is that two years ago I had photos at the top of every article thinking that it "looked nice"...and Google took 90% of my views away.  It took a very long time for me to recover, so I never did that again.  Undoubtedly I did not do the photos correctly, but that is the issue.  Most people who do this do NOT know how to set the photos up and then suffer for their mistakes, as I did.  Personally, I prefer not to take the chance.  One bad Google hit was enough for me!

Of course. Any bad photo is going to hurt, no matter where it is. Perhaps you were penalized for something else instead?  How do you know? Not trying to start fights, but what I am doing is trying to make a little more sense of this for people new and old as far as online writing. Way too many opinions, not enough facts. Post actual links from staff. Post links from the internet if it's true. It all just creates more confusion instead of helping writers here.

You misunderstand.  I always use good, meaningful photos.  Often they also are made for Pinterest.  The problem was, I believe, that they did not meet the standards Google wanted. As far as "guessing" about what else could have gone wrong, I have no idea because I wracked my brain, took suggestions from many people, wrote to Google, etc.    In my mind, it had to be the fact that the photos I used took up the entire area above the fold...so I changed all of it.  As a result, I salvaged m site and just this week hit half a million page views.

You know, Jesse, I've been at HP a long time.  I have learned a lot here, and while I do make mistakes once in awhile,  I have a real problem when someone here accuses me of misleading other writers. I have always tried to help people, and usually am thanked for my efforts.

I'm not sure I totally agree with you or Marisa, but even if you are correct and I am wrong, I still am entitled to advise people to follow the safest path when writing here so that they don't have the type of problem I had.

Not everybody is a clever guru or has the experience of someone like Marisa, and frankly, I feel it is better to guide people who are not as experienced in a way that cannot hurt them.  I do not see this as confusing them, even if you do.

You would not like it if someone spoke to you in this way, and I certainly do not appreciate it.

Use whatever photos you like, however you like, but please show me the courtesy and respect of allowing me to do the same and render opinions as I see fit. 

As far as showing "proof" is concerned, I think that seeing how the changes I made saved my site after having had an overnight drop of 90% speaks for itself.

No one said you are misleading anyone. I am suggesting providing real nuts and bolts. Post links with real facts, not opinions. As far as your negative attitudes, I could really care less. See you in another 6 months.

You should reread what you wrote earlier.  I believe my figures prove that I know a thing or two about what works here,  Maybe you should listen more and criticize less.

2. erorantes profile image49
      erorantesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hello mister Liam. I was reading your hub. I believe; you need two extra pictures. I like your idea of the party in the back yard. I am sure; your hub, it is going to be a success. I like your hub.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

There is no Google "penalty" for having a photo above the fold per se - what you can be penalised for is the behaviour of your readers.

If you have a photo at the top of your Hub and it encapsulates perfectly what your Hub is about, grabs your reader and makes them want to scroll down and read more - then it's great and won't cause any problems.

If you have a ho-hum averge photo at the top of your Hub it's a different story.  Look at how the Hub appears on a  mobile - a repeated heading, a photo and an advert before you see ANY text. Is the reader going to bother to scroll down or will they just think it doesn't look that useful, and click the Back button?  That means a high bounce rate, and a high bounce rate means a Google penalty.

and this is exactly why I advise people to NOT place photos above the fold.  Not many, including me, are good at it, so it's much safer to place some content first and then do an image.

3. Sam Dreiberg profile image82
    Sam Dreibergposted 7 years ago

Hi Liam,

I would recommend a few points:

1. Add more photos. May be one per topic.
    2. 1 bullet point per topic is as good as a paragraph. Divide it into multiple bullet points.
    3. I had 2 of my hubs rejected because of a colon(smile in the title. You may wanna rethink that.

Thanks,
    Sam

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)