Google Snippets Email - Increasing Traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 7 years ago

This morning I received an email from a Hubpages staff member regarding Google snippets (ie, Google Answer box) with this link.

I would just like to say that this is something VERY worthwhile. I have been working on ranking this way for over a year, and so far am doing quite well with it.

Remember how years ago I advised everyone to start doing MFP (Made For Pinterest) images? This is another thing equivalent to that in terms of how it will impact you. If you ignore all other marketing advice on the site, listen to Hubpages on this one - work on getting into that magical spot on the Google page.

High traffic to all!

1. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I knew when they launched featured snippets it would have a significant effect. Will have to do my research in getting to that position.

2. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 7 years ago

Very helpful, many thanks. I'll be giving it a go - fingers crossed!!

3. Robin profile image86
    Robinposted 7 years ago

Thanks, Wrylilt!  I recommend that everyone reads that post.  Before we moved to the vertical domains, HubPages was not showing up in the Featured Snippets box.  Our vertical sites are now showing up and it has shown an increase in traffic for those pages.  This is an area of focus on Premium edits.  If you have opted out, we recommend that you opt back in.  smile

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's fantastic to hear! This, in conjunction with my fave method of keyword research (Google Suggest box) is sure to increase traffic. Luckily for me I have a test account I started a few years back, which is perfect for ranking #0!

4. John Garbi profile image60
    John Garbiposted 7 years ago

Thank you for the post! I think I'll try it.

5. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

That's a very interesting and well-detailed explanation of Google Featured Snippets. Thanks for that link WryLilt.  And thanks, Robin, for mentioning that this is the area of focus with the Premium Edits. That's good to know and something I will focus on myself when I write future hubs that are related to answering specific questions.

6. Bedbugabscond profile image94
    Bedbugabscondposted 7 years ago

#1 First I want to say that WryLilt is an amazing woman and a cornerstone of our industry. She is a leader not just in this community, but in many other places across the web.

2# a long time ago I MFP article, followed it to the letter and STILL see traffic results to this day. Some of which happened in quite unexpected ways.

3# I started learning about rich snippets about two weeks ago, and sort of gave up. I need to do a great deal of research to understand this. I ran my sites in a rich snippets tool and from what I understand I have a lot of work to do. However, considering the success I have had with WryLilt's MFP suggestions, I WILL be taking another look at rich snippets. If she says its great traffic for all, then I accept that as an authoritative statement that we should all pay attention to.

Thanks WryLilt and to the Hubpages staff member who shared the article!

1. Bedbugabscond profile image94
      Bedbugabscondposted 7 years agoin reply to this

After posting this I found a rich snippit of one of MY dengarden hubs! It has recently been doing quite well. I was surprised, because I had not taken it too seriously.

I started with a keyword I knew that I ranked for and scrolled to the bottom of the page. I was checking the related keywords against my hub when I stumbled across one that brought up my page in a rich snippit. Now I understand why that hub is doing so well!

These are quite interesting developments, and very exciting!!!!!!

I am excited over these interesting developments.

2. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks bedbugsabscond. I'm not sure what industry I'm a cornerstone of but your post made my day smile

7. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

Exactly! I pointed this out a few months ago when Caloriebee was released. I have a hub that shows up for quite a few terms as a rich snipped. The link is really useful, thanks for the share Susannah. I worked on two of my other hubs which are also on niche sites. But so far they do not show at #0 even though they rank in the top 3 positions. I even looked at the current #0 to see the kind of list they use and tried using the same format. Only time will tell. Let us know how your second account performs in this regard.

1. Robin profile image86
      Robinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Rich snippets are different from featured snippets.  Markup data in the page is used to create rich snippets on the search engine results page.  The HubPages Recipe Capsules and Ratings Capsules are an example of article markup. You will notice rich snippets as stars next to a review or ingredient information on recipe results.  Here's a blog post with the most simplistic explanation. 

Here are a few things you can do to have the best chance of showing up in the featured snippet box:

1.  Use clear subtitles in tables and bulleted lists.  We know that most readers are coming from mobile and long blocks of text are not ideal on a small device.  Also, it's easier for Google to "read" your page when it has structure.
      2.  Answer the question of your title at the top of the Hub.  You can give a summary in a step by step format, then get into the meat of each step lower in the article.  The step-by-step answer will likely be what shows up in the featured snippet box
      3.  If you use a table (a great way to show up in featured snippets), make sure that the table subtitle is clear and succinct.
      4.  If you are ranking in the #1 or #2 spot but aren't showing up in the featured snippet box, you have a great chance of doing so.  Start with your highest-traffic articles and work down from there.
      5.  If there isn't a featured snippet for you main search term, don't worry.  Google is rolling out more and more every month. 
      6.  Write for your readers not Google.  While these steps are important, if you are writing your article for search engines, it will catch up with you.  Having structure to your article is good for readers and Google. 

Let us know how it goes!  In editing we are finding that showing up in the featured snippet box can happen quickly.  We added content to an article yesterday that wasn't in the featured snippet box and today it is.  Here's an example of a featured snippet result that uses a table. 

The best advice I can give is to work on your highest-traffic articles and update and add content to them as often as you can.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

OMG sorry I meant featured snippets smile Exactly! your points are right to the point lol. It should be on the help center in my opinion.

1. Robin profile image86
          Robinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It is so confusing!  Rich snippets, featured snippets, knowledge graph, knowledge base, oh my!  I can understand why you might get the language mixed up!  smile

1. lobobrandon profile image88
            lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! big_smile

2. Bedbugabscond profile image94
        Bedbugabscondposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I need to soak in all the language associated with technology.

8. Dolores Monet profile image96
    Dolores Monetposted 7 years ago

I am still not clear on how to implement the suggestion. Could someone provide a link to a hub,say a before and after look at the difference? It seems as if you are saying that we provide clear and concise facts at the beginning of the hub? Then go on with further, more in depth material?

9. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 7 years ago

Hmmm. I have a bunch of hubs with #0 status ... and in #1 as well. None of them have had their Editors Choice status returned since our subdomains ceased to exist. So I guess that tells me that EC has no real influence when it comes to Google.

Not exactly sure what it tells me about HP's assessment of my/our hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)