jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: Whitstable People: Rupert Hayes

1. Whitstable Views profile image77
    Whitstable Viewsposted 12 months ago

Hi

Here is one of the hubs about which I received "A Friendly Heads Up" and which I have re-jigged and re-written a number of times in order to get it featured:

Whitstable People: Rupert Hayes.

What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. theraggededge profile image94
      theraggededgeposted 12 months ago in reply to this

I like it a lot.

I wonder if HP thinks it's too short?

Whitstable Viewsposted 12 months ago in reply to this

It's 350 words long. A number of other 350 word long pieces have been accepted, so it can't be that.

If you look at the top right of the edit screen, you'll see that there are word counts to aim for. HP recommends at least 700 words. That's a guideline, not a rule, but it could make a difference to the approval process.

These are columns that appear in my local newspaper and are 350 words long. I've published 35 of them, of which about 5 are unfeatured, including that lovely story about Rupert Hayes, so it can't be the length. I think there's a percentage they unfeature just to keep you busy fussing over your hubs to keep up their numbers. Can't think of any other good reason why these stories aren't just left to their own devices.

There have been a lot of changes at HP lately. They want articles that are search-engine friendly, of magazine length. 350 words is not really enough, although it would have been a while back.

Images have to be attributed (Public Domain, Creative Commons or with permission of the copyright holder).

Have a look here: https://hubpageshelp.com/features/Learn … tured-Hubs

and this (noting the before and after word counts)

https://hubpageshelp.com/content/Learni … y-of-a-Hub

Your local newspaper doesn't publish its content online, does it?

It does, but not my column.

They've just allowed this one to be featured, having snipped one reference from it:  http://hubpages.com/travel/The-Cheese-Box--Whitstable
                  It's also 350 words. I wish they'd just get on and snip the lot instead of leaving me guessing.

working